Bougainvillea rot & repot depth

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Got a sad bougainvillea here. Acquired two years ago, and I wasn't brave enough to do root work. That is, until recently...

She was definitely alive, but seemed to be stunted. Now I think I understand why, and I'm hopeful that she'll recover but not sure.

Anyway, after digging a bit, I discovered two concerning developments. First, she had these long & thick circling roots that had to go. These were impressive roots I gotta say... I think there were just 2 or 3 of them, but as I followed them they just kept going around and around the root ball lol. Here's a pic
20240325_150842.jpg

Then I made the 2nd concerning discovery--a major section of the trunk has completely rotted out. I suspect it's been this way for a long time, but anyway I just picked away a bunch of dead wood with my finger and it crumbled easily into sawdust.

This brings me to the question at hand. After removing the problematic roots, I tried to leave the remaining root ball undisturbed as best I could and repotted with a substantial layer of drainage at the bottom (typical inorganic bonsai substrate--large(ish) grain pumice & acadama basically). And now the part of the trunk that had rot is exposed to the air. The existing root ball is buried ay a reasonable depth I think. But she's kind of wobbly now. So I'm just wondering if I should have actually buried her deeper in order to encourage new root growth from higher up on the trunk? Or is it probably best to have her buried more shallow like she is in order to prevent/slow further rot of the trunk? Not that I can really do anything about it right now... except maybe try to air layer or something like that...

Some pics below, post-repot:

20240417_172510.jpg20240417_172436.jpg20240417_172413.jpg20240417_172458.jpg
20240417_172408.jpg

Thanks all!
Figgie

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you wire the tree to the pot? I make sure there's no wobble or wiggle when I wire the tree to the pot. The trunk needs to be still as still as possible for the new roots to take hold. I lost a tree that way so I'm overly cautious, and it's really windy here. Second I was told to only repot Bougainvillea in the heat of Summer. The circling roots are normal, and you took minimal roots so you should be good. Be diligent in your after care, lots of sun, and hopefully someone responds about the deadwood.

Figgie, Figgie, Figgie, can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me. :)

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Did you wire the tree to the pot? I make sure there's no wobble or wiggle when I wire the tree to the pot. The trunk needs to be still as still as possible for the new roots to take hold. I lost a tree that way so I'm overly cautious, and it's really windy here. Second I was told to only repot Bougainvillea in the heat of Summer. The circling roots are normal, and you took minimal roots so you should be good. Be diligent in your after care, lots of sun, and hopefully someone responds about the deadwood.

Figgie, Figgie, Figgie, can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me. :)
Hehe thanks for the reply 😊

Ugh I did not wire because I thought the existing root ball would have been a good anchor, but now I'm not so sure lol. At least since I keep bougie inside, in a tent, she is safe from high winds. She just wobbles a little, but it takes only the lightest touch to do it...

I guess I could try to wire it now but it would be tough obviously. If I did, or if I try to use strings to anchor her or something, I think it might do a little damage in the process. Should I try to do something like that, or just leave her alone and hope for the best? I'm actually moving in a little over a month, so the instability could be a problem then... but I might just use saran wrap around the pot and all the soil just for transport, so I think that would be a minimally invasive temporary protective measure for that.

Thanks,
Figgie

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bougie is normally very tough when it comes to root reduction. I would not hesitate to reduce bougie roots by 70%, sometimes up to 90% off and they still grow.

Your problem with wobbling in the pot is likely because all the roots are on one side of the trunk. The rotted side can't grow roots. Given you left quite extensive root ball and bougies are super tough I wouldn't be worried about the trunk moving a little, especially as it is indoors away from wind. If it makes you happier some external ties for a while will be OK.

Bougie wood rots very easily so any dead section rots quickly. There's not much you can do about it. Fortunately the tree can live quite happily on the remaining live section. It is likely that section of trunk died a couple of years back. I can't see the upper trunk so only guessing it may have been from hard pruning at one stage?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hehe thanks for the reply 😊

Ugh I did not wire because I thought the existing root ball would have been a good anchor, but now I'm not so sure lol. At least since I keep bougie inside, in a tent, she is safe from high winds. She just wobbles a little, but it takes only the lightest touch to do it...

I guess I could try to wire it now but it would be tough obviously. If I did, or if I try to use strings to anchor her or something, I think it might do a little damage in the process. Should I try to do something like that, or just leave her alone and hope for the best? I'm actually moving in a little over a month, so the instability could be a problem then... but I might just use saran wrap around the pot and all the soil just for transport, so I think that would be a minimally invasive temporary protective measure for that.

Thanks,
Figgie
In a tent indoors it should be fine. Good luck with the move.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bougie is normally very tough when it comes to root reduction. I would not hesitate to reduce bougie roots by 70%, sometimes up to 90% off and they still grow.

Your problem with wobbling in the pot is likely because all the roots are on one side of the trunk. The rotted side can't grow roots. Given you left quite extensive root ball and bougies are super tough I wouldn't be worried about the trunk moving a little, especially as it is indoors away from wind. If it makes you happier some external ties for a while will be OK.

Bougie wood rots very easily so any dead section rots quickly. There's not much you can do about it. Fortunately the tree can live quite happily on the remaining live section. It is likely that section of trunk died a couple of years back. I can't see the upper trunk so only guessing it may have been from hard pruning at one stage?
Woohoo! Thank you Shibui :)

It does seem like that part died a while ago, as you suggested. I wanna say it's had a bit of that dead look to it since I got it... so I was not really surprised to see it.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm also wondering about watering guidance, because Bougie is currently without leaves so she can't signal to me when she needs water...

The tent maintains temp over 90 deg F while the grow light is on, plus I've got her sitting on a heating pad (overkill??). After watering thoroughly, I tilt the pot to drain out some excess water. I also point a fan right along the top of the soil to accelerate drying. It takes about 2-3 days like that before the top inch or so of soil is dry. Then I take the fan off of it, and leave it for a couple days before watering. So I wanna say I'm watering roughly every 5 days. Would anybody recommend adjustment to any of those parameters? Should I let it dry more slowly to lengthen the time between watering? I could reduce the temperature in the tent for example, via the exhaust fan. Or I could take away the other fan that blows directly over the soil sooner--before the top layer has dried out. Or should I keep everything the same and just leave it to dry even more than I have been? I've been operating on the assumption that I want to wait for the soil to be ~mostly~ dry, but never completely dry.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
For future reference, ALWAYS tie down the trees to the pot. No matter the tree, no matter the condition of the root ball. Best practices when repotting will help with survival
Yeah... I might actually use some garden stretch tape to tie her in by her trunk/branches. I just hope I can do it gently!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
For future reference, ALWAYS tie down the trees to the pot. No matter the tree, no matter the condition of the root ball. Best practices when repotting will help with survival
FYI. I repot hundreds of trees each year and only tie a few of them in. Survival rates here would indicate that the tie in is NOT the defining parameter for repotted trees surviving. There are lots of alternative techniques that can mitigate a wobbly tree but the reality is absolute stability is not really necessary. Very occasionally one of mine will get knocked out of the pot but provided it goes back in within 24 hours they seem to be fine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm also wondering about watering guidance, because Bougie is currently without leaves so she can't signal to me when she needs water...
Be very careful with watering if it has no leaves. Bougies are tough but overwatering can kill them. They are best repotted in the hottest part of the summer but the deed is done so be careful with the watering. I have one that half the trunk is rotted but continues to grow and flower. I just water sparingly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FYI. I repot hundreds of trees each year and only tie a few of them in. Survival rates here would indicate that the tie in is NOT the defining parameter for repotted trees surviving. There are lots of alternative techniques that can mitigate a wobbly tree but the reality is absolute stability is not really necessary. Very occasionally one of mine will get knocked out of the pot but provided it goes back in within 24 hours they seem to be fine.
Interesting. I live next to open fields and farmland the wind is non-stop sustained 20-30 mph a few times a week and I have to strap my trees to the benches because if a Thunder Storm comes (50-60+ windspeed) it will put them on the ground in short order. If I didn't wire the trees in I'd have a bigger mess than just replacing soil. Not arguing just saying that's my situation.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Interesting. I live next to open fields and farmland the wind is non-stop sustained 20-30 mph a few times a week and I have to strap my trees to the benches because if a Thunder Storm comes (50-60+ windspeed) it will put them on the ground in short order. If I didn't wire the trees in I'd have a bigger mess than just replacing soil. Not arguing just saying that's my situation.
Absolutely correct - for your situation - but for my more sheltered location it is different. The point is there's rarely one absolute in bonsai. ref to the capitalisation of 'always' in the quoted post.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Be very careful with watering if it has no leaves. Bougies are tough but overwatering can kill them. They are best repotted in the hottest part of the summer but the deed is done so be careful with the watering. I have one that half the trunk is rotted but continues to grow and flower. I just water sparingly.
Thanks Carol. Any tips on how to strike the right balance there? Since she doesn't have leaves, how do I be sure she isn't getting too dry? Or should I treat her like a succulent and let her dry out completely, and then wait even longer to water? Like... two weeks between watering? Lol

Should I be giving a thorough soak, and then try to dry her out as quickly as possible by increasing air flow and heat? Should I bottom-water and only use a small amount so the soil doesn't ever get fully wet?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks Carol. Any tips on how to strike the right balance there? Since she doesn't have leaves, how do I be sure she isn't getting too dry? Or should I treat her like a succulent and let her dry out completely, and then wait even longer to water? Like... two weeks between watering? Lol

Should I be giving a thorough soak, and then try to dry her out as quickly as possible by increasing air flow and heat? Should I bottom-water and only use a small amount so the soil doesn't ever get fully wet?
You can use the chopstick method, stick a chopstick, wooden skewer etc. in the soil. If it's wet leave it be, it it's dry water it. Or just stick your finger in the pot. I've given up on bougies and they always amaze me when they just start growing again.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You can use the chopstick method, stick a chopstick, wooden skewer etc. in the soil. If it's wet leave it be, it it's dry water it. Or just stick your finger in the pot. I've given up on bougies and they always amaze me when they just start growing again.
I've got one that had a whole ramrod 2foot straight section that's just budding out after like idk, 9 months? The rest of the plant has been growing fine. Not a bonsai yet but potted.

Top Bottom