My 2nd bonsai, nursery Scots Pine I had to own. Taking it slow, design indecision.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
" I have frequently come across contradicting information and to someone trying to soak up all the information he can that can be kind of perplexing. "

Better start getting used to that. Welcome to BNut. Forums are better, but the internet? Double check everything. You are looking for consensus.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You will always find contradicting information, partly, because of location and weather and partly because many times there are more than one way do something.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then again, some of it is just plain old BS!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not well versed in the pine cultivars and their cousins. I do have many black pines I am working on, about twenty or so. What I can tell you is that I feel I am very knowledgeable in proportion. Others more versed with the species may have a better solution but so far I have not heard any yet, but I feel the branch structure for this trunk is already too coarse. Some of those branches are nearly the same size as the trunk. In looking up the trunk there is a large kinked section with no branching and then the upper third has branches that are on the verge of also being too large.
Maybe some could explain how one would go about using a tree like this and how one would proceed on its training. My time due to age is rather limited so I would not begin trying to work on a tree like this with its complex problems.

View attachment 86234

I agree.
Literati?
Or cut everything off but that smallest branch in the second whorl and grow it out from there.
Tons of time.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I dont know I have resigned to doing a literati for now I am thinking I want to keep one on each sideon the lower two levels. I need to wire them upwards, back bud and get some new offshoot branches but I think that has to wait til the spring, It has some mini candles and even a new pine cone starting so I will maybe do a few more cuts, wire and then prepare to not be able to really touch it for a while.

Also I found out the species! - pinus sylvestris 'albyn prostrata' - this is what it said on the tag I thought I lost after I wrote down pinus sylvestris. So from this and knowing the tree should I assume the bottom is a sylvestris and from the graft up its all prostrata?

Attachments

• 20151115_115303.jpg
    20151115_115303.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20151115_115253.jpg
    20151115_115253.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 75

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Albyn's Prostrata' - interesting. I have not seen one yet as bonsai, but I had considered this cultivar in the past. How tall is your specimen? From Top of roots (nebari) to top of tree? The branches will stay flexible longer than standard sylvestris, and as a landscape tree the weight of the branches will pull them down to the ground. This cultivar would be a good one to use as a cascade if you so desired. But even as an upright, it can be good, branches will be more horizontal naturally, rather than the usual tendency to pull upwards. Interesting find.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also I found out the species! - pinus sylvestris 'albyn prostrata' - this is what it said on the tag I thought I lost after I wrote down pinus sylvestris. So from this and knowing the tree should I assume the bottom is a sylvestris and from the graft up its all prostrata?
This is a pic of a scots pine that I almost purchased from a roadside stand for $300. Tagged Hillside Creeper. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Pinus sylvestri Hillside Creeper.jpg
I didn't look up the particulars until I got home and found that it is a very low grower, so it too, was likely grafted, which I didn't think to look for when I was considering it. If its there in the spring, I may reconsider. $300 is a LOT for me to spend.
CW

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's a lot to spend on an unproven species of tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What makes you think I hate Scots Pines? I love them, I should have said cultivar not species and the only reason for that is usually Scots Pine cultivars are almost always grafted. Because of the nature of the bark on the tree cultivars scions almost always have bark significantly different from the stock. If you remember Scots Pines are sometimes noted for an exfoliating bark. If you use a non exfoliating bark stock with an exfoliating scion you will never get the graft to go away visually.

Last edited:

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
You know the larger branches are a bit floppy and I decided to wait til the spring to do wiring on the large ones (suggested by someone in the bonsai club I joined). I am kind of hoping that they will take to wiring, possibly the tiny cracking and healing may strengthen them. My tree is about 17 inches tall and has a 2.5-3 inch trunk and I think I also saw it tagged as hillside creeper.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a pic of a scots pine that I almost purchased from a roadside stand for $300. Tagged Hillside Creeper. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
View attachment 88060
I didn't look up the particulars until I got home and found that it is a very low grower, so it too, was likely grafted, which I didn't think to look for when I was considering it. If its there in the spring, I may reconsider. $300 is a LOT for me to spend.
CW
$300 is a lot. Earlier mention of graft and bark difference is sage advice. Inspect with a critical eye. Looks almost like Yamadori tree and has several good possibilities from what can be seen. If interest remains for this tree always try to get them to lower price and never be embarrassed to make low offer. Or to walk away. Can always go up but not down so easily.;)

Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a pic of a scots pine that I almost purchased from a roadside stand for $300. Tagged Hillside Creeper.

$300 is a lot of money especially for an untested cultivar. For that price you could get a good quality pre-bonsai or well established yamadori. Do your research and searching this winter by spring you will find something much better.

Top Bottom