MULTI-TRUNK JAPANESE BEECH

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, 1000 points bonus! Incredible work, looking forward to seeing these continue to develop. You are talented!!!

swatchpost

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is freakin' incredible. I think that's the most interesting outcome you could have had! Incredible talent.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow Sergio, you should change your name to @MACH5 The Phoenix...

"And just as the Phoenix rose from the ashes, the tree too will rise!"

IMG_9355-Recovered copy.jpg

KIYOHIME ON ROCK.jpg

JTrips

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree has landed on it's feet twice! It's beatiful just as it is.

Question.
Since the tree was literally cut in half(twice, once in each direction), would it have been safer to put this remaining portion in a training pot and nurse a more robust root ball before planting it on a rock?
Just asking because I know so little.

If you put this off, your tree wizard rating will increase significantly.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Too Beautiful. Between this and the Kiyohime I am just going to start throwing all my failures on a rock with some moss see if that works :)

When well composed, it's a great way to really elevate average to poor material that is not otherwise good enough for more traditional bonsai usage.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree has landed on it's feet twice! It's beatiful just as it is.

Question.
Since the tree was literally cut in half(twice, once in each direction), would it have been safer to put this remaining portion in a training pot and nurse a more robust root ball before planting it on a rock?
Just asking because I know so little.

If you put this off, your tree wizard rating will increase significantly.

Sure, I do not disagree. With perhaps less experience bonsai folks, I would have advised to plant in a box or training pot and let it go for another year. Seeing how healthy and how well all parts grew, with the exception of the main trunk, it gave me the confidence to go ahead and execute said design. Afterwards, the tree responded strongly with vigorous extensions and back budding.

My best guess as to why the main trunk died back was the lack of a more robust root system to support it. What is very strange is that it actually grew well for several months until fall came around when it collapsed rapidly!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pushing strongly on all branches. Letting it extend and will get a cut back in late June to hopefully promote back budding. Beech take a long time to ramify well.

Well post some updated pics soon will ya?

I just got done repotting a 5 foot European beech I acquired last year. Had to hack back the root ball pretty hard, there were a lot of BIG roots in it, holy cow!
Lots of hair roots up top near the trunk too though. I think I survived the process.....barely....whew. I hope it does too lol. I hope to try an air layer on it next year if it recovers well and if it lives.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Took a bit to post an update but here it is. This past year the beech continued to grow extremely well. The challenge with this piece is to ensure it is always kept well watered due to the limited amount of soil it is growing in.

IMG_4671 copy.jpg

IMG_4681 copy.jpg

IMG_4664 copy.jpg

IMG_4673 copy.jpg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Top Bottom