MULTI-TRUNK JAPANESE BEECH

I had forgotten about this tree, sad to hear about the main trunk. But even if it's a smaller clump it's still going to be a better form than the original tree would have been for bonsai. Would love to see where you are going with this one. I'm still crossing all my fingers and toes for my air layer. It's leafed out strongly, so that's a good sign...

Good luck Juds! Let it rock and don't touch it. I am hoping you get a nice radial root system 🙏

Let me just say that I was very aggressive with what was left in order to do what I needed. Balls to the wall in a do or die situation. I was going to throw it out anyways. It decided to live... strongly. Thus far that is!

Thanks Mach, i went and did two today and followed what you did here so will wait and see, i didnt bother chopping up the moss.

Good luck Bobby! From what I have read and personal experience, it can be difficult to obtain an even radial root system. But if it's a European beech that may be easier to obtain?

Good luck Bobby! From what I have read and personal experience, it can be difficult to obtain an even radial root system. But if it's a European beech that may be easier to obtain?
I think its a mixed bag with even Euro beech, ive seen some really nice beech that came from air layers and others have had no such luck. this is only my second attempt at air layers, first attempt on a zelkova was a failure. im in unchartered waters, yelp:D

ill need to pick up some cling film. i didnt have any so used extra wire to tighten instead. Potter seems to be quite adamant about the cling as he says the root formation can be impaired if the pressure isnt even all around

ill tighten up mine over the weekend just to have piece of mind.
i also made a few holes in top n bottom for drainage and to allow water in as suggested in this video.

ill need to pick up some cling film. i didnt have any so used extra wire to tighten instead. Potter seems to be quite adamant about the cling as he says the root formation can be impaired if the pressure isnt even all around

ill tighten up mine over the weekend just to have piece of mind.
i also made a few holes in top n bottom for drainage and to allow water in as suggested in this video.

Agreed with Potter on the pressure against the air layer. I don't use cling (although interesting method) but I do make sure that moss is very tightly packed against the cut. I also make small holes on the bottom to ensure excess water drains out.

Air layering is a simple technique that makes it possible to obtain far better trees from an otherwise poor piece of material. Or just simply create future bonsai from garden trees as I am currently doing with a landscape Japanese maple. Every year I take a few air layers to create shohin size bonsai out of them.

Funny enough, my successful layers were cling film... the unsuccessful were plastic pots. Most people tend to build up to the layer somehow and place a standard pot around it, fill that with substrate, but moss around the wound. Moss to help form roots, substrate to help develop them as they grow.

Although that then has another problem of the moss staying too wet and the substrate drying out.. Fun stuff!

Two years ago in 2019, my plans for a multi-trunk design fell apart. That year, it spent the entire season growing vigorously. As fall rolled around, the main trunk collapsed for unknown reasons and it died back completely down to the base with the rest of the trunks all intact and in good health.

It was time for a new plan. In early 2020, I studied what was left of the original tree and came up with a new plan. Japanese beech are too valuable so I set out to somehow save what was left.

Below the tree in early spring 2021 after I had sawed off the dead main trunk.

tempImageCb4cHL.png

In order to be able to use the material in my new plan, I had to saw off half of the thick base and root ball. For this I used a miter saw which enable me to make the cut quickly and effortlessly.

tempImageeNEleh.png

The tree after it was cut in half. Admittedly I did roll the dice here. Was not entirely sure if the tree would survive. Regardless I crossed my fingers and I went for it.

tempImageVIGwKN.png

And here is the tree re-envisioned in an Ibigawa rock. The roots were literally threaded down the cavities of the rock. This photo was taken today after the tree was wired to roughly set the new direction. Hopefully it will continue to mature and evolve from this point forwards. Throughout this past growing season it grew strongly, leaving it for the most part untouched uto gain strength and allow its roots to take hold in their new environment.

The suiban is too small but that will be addressed in the future.

IMG_9355-Recovered copy.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9331-Recovered.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpg
    IMG_9338.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9
nice. love beech trees and actually tagged about 5 of them for next spring from my back yard

Yeah, I can see a bit of that whimsy in this piece although I was thinking more of some Japanese rock plantings I had seen ☺️
I should have said Hagedornesque in a very M5 way. 😉 It is certainly your own creation. I think your work always for me has a particular M5 feel and signature.

nice. love beech trees and actually tagged about 5 of them for next spring from my back yard

Great and good luck! They are beautiful tees!

I should have said Hagedornesque in a very M5 way. 😉 It is certainly your own creation. I think your work always for me has a particular M5 feel and signature.

Is it perhaps my winning personality shining through!??😂🤣😂

Too Beautiful. Between this and the Kiyohime I am just going to start throwing all my failures on a rock with some moss see if that works :)

Back
Top Bottom