Message on the Observance of Independence Day, 1981

Reaction score
Exactly, but they may view, your view, as 'tearing things down '.
Who is they?
I was only talking to you and Vance...
I don't pay attention to Brian
And Vance knows I am only playing his game here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just remember, it isn't the 1700's anymore. Things change, evolve, move forward.

ACA upheld...single payer most likely coming down the line. Marriage equality passed, etc. America is moving forward into the 21st century with the rest of the world, with or without you.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just remember, it isn't the 1700's anymore. Things change, evolve, move forward.

ACA upheld...single payer most likely coming down the line. Marriage equality passed, etc. America is moving forward into the 21st century with the rest of the world, with or without you.
Problem is, those shouldn't be "rights" at all, according to our founding principles. Nor should the government be in the business of giving (and thus, taking) rights.

Think about it: why the need to pass "marriage equality" if there was never an earthly law against it to begin with, or never laws/legislation favoring traditional marriage? If the state stayed out of marriage to begin with, it would have never been an issue for the state to tackle.

And yes, I'm coming along whether I like it or not...someone has to pay for it. But I still vote my conscious.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The problem today as I see it: Our form of government has worked so well for so long and everyone in the country has prospered for generations that many growing up today have not a single clue where they came, how we got here, and the price our forefathers had to pay for it.

The history books glorify the Founding Fathers, but they do a terrible job of really letting the kids understand this point. The men who signed the Declaration of Independence took an almost unfathomable risk in doing so, and many paid a very steep price. Many of them lost everything, or nearly everything, as a result of their participation in the revolution, and died never knowing whether that price would actually buy what they wanted when they risked it all to sign off on it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In an ever changing world, it's awesome to know that Bnut never changes.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The history books glorify the Founding Fathers, but they do a terrible job of really letting the kids understand this point. The men who signed the Declaration of Independence took an almost unfathomable risk in doing so, and many paid a very steep price. Many of them lost everything, or nearly everything, as a result of their participation in the revolution, and died never knowing whether that price would actually buy what they wanted when they risked it all to sign off on it.

That is why Ben Franklin said: "We must hang together or we most certainly will hang seperately." They knew what they were doing and in many cases knew that the major hypocrisy in their document would have to be settled in blood somewhere down the road.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI
There was a great series on the History Channel, Sons of Liberty. I highly recommend it.

Why does it seem that when a group says they want equality it transcribes into preferential treatment?

I have no idea why some crimes are "hate crimes". If it is a crime, that's it! If you beat someone, that's the crime.

Life is pretty simple. Treat everyone the way YOU want to be treated. We can never make up for the sins of the past. Most groups have faced difficulties and continue to face them.
How many of you know what a NINA sign is?

Joedes3

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It first meant No Irish Need Apply. Then, as they gained acceptance, it meant No Italian Need Apply.

How many people have no idea

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It first meant No Irish Need Apply. Then, as they gained acceptance, it meant No Italian Need Apply.

How many people have no idea
Yes, I have an idea. "Whites Only" signs weren't uncommon in the south when I was growing up.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance: Thanks for quoting Ben Franklin They don't teach this in schools in Massachusetts.

Like I said in an earlier post, " Life is simple, treat everyone the way YOU want to be treated."
Our founding fathers may not have been saints but I'll take our form of govenment over all others.
Our problem now is that government wants to be involved in all phases of our lives. I believe Washington has exceeded what was intended.

Washington is so hypocritical, i.e.
1. They say Obamacare is wonderful but Congress does not come under it. Unions who support it are now opting out.
2. You must wear your seatbelt because you could be injured in a car accident, except in a school bus.
3. We should ban transfats etc. because it will cause health problems but we allow people to smoke.
4. We must change our immirations laws because they don't work but we don't enforce the laws we have.
5. Illegal aliens are called undocmented people. That's like calling a bank robber a noncontributory withdrawer.

The list could go on and on.

Leave me alone and let me decide.

I still believe we live in the greatest country in the world.

Just my thoughts! This is not intended to upset anyone.
Happy Independence Day!

Joedes3

Reaction score
Here's a reality check for you. Read...and really read to understand...the Declaration of Independence. It's funny that the tyrannical government our forefathers rebelled against is what we're gladly shackling ourselves to now. As long as people believe that rights come from the government, we'll continue to allow the government to take them away.
I gotta say that it's funny you went back and edited this!

Reaction score
Well what I meant, that some on the right would view your left of center views as tearing things down. Again all still american views.
And some on the left would think your right wing views are tearing down things. This along with the right quite literally trying to hijack patriotism, as though it is something only the right can really posses...
As though they are the only one's who are True Americans as you have previously suggested. And anyone who questions, needs to educate oneself on the constitution... that there is only been troubled times in the last 20 years... and only by the left. And then there was the dusie that one has to pay for things, as if they are the only one's, first thing... and whether they like it or not.

First off, one does not pay for anything...
It cost the individuals getting married the cost of the marriage license. Secondly, yes they will be able to claim deductions based on marital status, when paying taxes. This is all, and if one is going to claim that they have to pay for something based on this deduction... then one opens up a whole slew of things that I personally then have problems paying for. ..

It just plain silly, how much arrogance and belly aching I see posted. One can quite literally go through our history and find all kinds of so called violations of our constitution, from both sides. To somehow come to a conclusion that only one party is somehow only guilty of this only shows either a lack of knowledge of actual history, or a willingness to just forget.

What would our founding fathers think of giving equal constitutional rights set aside for our fellow man being given to corporations? Perhaps they would have considered this tyranny? Not sure where in the constitution, they said this should happen?

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's what happens when you have a Supreme court that seems to think it is their right and obligation to govern from the bench. Because of the way we have things set up there is no recourse short of impeachment. The problems I have with Democrats is their willingness to pass laws that are patently UnConstitutional, and Republicans to do nothing about them, being afraid to debate those issues defering instead; to a Superem Court that thinks their oath of office is like the words in the song Happy Birthday --- and carry about as much weight.

Reaction score
That's what happens when you have a Supreme court that seems to think it is their right and obligation to govern from the bench. Because of the way we have things set up there is no recourse short of impeachment. The problems I have with Democrats is their willingness to pass laws that are patently UnConstitutional, and Republicans to do nothing about them, being afraid to debate those issues defering instead; to a Superem Court that thinks their oath of office is like the words in the song Happy Birthday --- and carry about as much weight.
Which laws would democrats be passing that are unconstitutional?

Trying to brush off the supreme court who clearly made their decision with the intentions of the right, regarding making corporations people, and giving them the equal rights, is a little bit on the cherry picking side.... is it not?

Where is all the Patriot talk regarding this?

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The concept of Gay Marriage for one. Obamacare is a biggie that falls right into the wheelhouse of the issue I just mentioned. All of these things fall under the purview of the 14th Amendment: All things not granted to the Federal Government fall to the states.

Reaction score
The concept of Gay Marriage for one. Obamacare is a biggie that falls right into the wheelhouse of the issue I just mentioned. All of these things fall under the purview of the 14th Amendment: All things not granted to the Federal Government fall to the states.
Really?
Please explain how giving equal right to all citizens regardless of race, gender religion, or sexual preference is unconstitutional.

Obama care as we all know was a Republican think tank concept for trying to figure out how to solve uninsured folks showing up at the hospitals and the tax payers having to foot the bill.

It was first enacted by mitt when governor... where was this unconstitutional talk then?

and if requiring folks to have health insurance is unconstitutional, then what about car insurance, home insurance, work insurance, and the list goes on and on.

Top Bottom