Massive pine fell behind house probably a month ago. Can cuttings still be taken?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure the species, but an 80 or so foot pine sadly fell due to Maryland wind a while back. Would the little ends still be viable? I took a couple pieces, but didn't have time to do anything with them. Can shoot some pics later. Trunk of about 2 feet with some growth survived so not a total loss, but sad, we called him big boy.

Pine cuttings are always difficult.
Pine cuttings from a fallen tree are even more difficult.
Pine cuttings from a tree that - if it is still alive - has been preserving water for over a month.. I don't think it'll end well.

But trying is a low effort thing, so why not? If you take a hundred, maybe one will make it.

Only a very small handful of pines can be rooted from cuttings. I can only think of about 3 and they are all cultivars.
There are more pines that can be rooted from cuttings but it helps to have the correct conditions. Mostly we believe it can't be done because someone said so and have not tried. I've rooted JBP, JRP, JWP and Radiata - not cultivars, just species. Success rate is low so not commercially viable but still can be done.

They might but they won't be mature seeds so not viable
I would give those seeds a go. Most seeds are viable well before the cones/pods/fruit are completely ripe. Some species with complex dormancy requirements can germinate without treatment if using immature seed. It seems the embryo matures early and it's all the additional stuff that gets added in the final stretch to complete maturity, including storability so although they may be viable and germinate if sown immediately, they usually don't store well.

Not sure the species, but an 80 or so foot pine sadly fell due to Maryland wind a while back. Would the little ends still be viable?
@Wires_Guy_wires has said it all.
Pines are difficult at the best of times with the freshest shoots. If the roots are still partly intact and some branches are still healthy you may have an outside chance but I don't like the odds after the tree has been down for any length of time.

There are more pines that can be rooted from cuttings but it helps to have the correct conditions. Mostly we believe it can't be done because someone said so and have not tried. I've rooted JBP, JRP, JWP and Radiata - not cultivars, just species. Success rate is low so not commercially viable but still can be done.

I would give those seeds a go. Most seeds are viable well before the cones/pods/fruit are completely ripe. Some species with complex dormancy requirements can germinate without treatment if using immature seed. It seems the embryo matures early and it's all the additional stuff that gets added in the final stretch to complete maturity, including storability so although they may be viable and germinate if sown immediately, they usually don't store well.

@Wires_Guy_wires has said it all.
Pines are difficult at the best of times with the freshest shoots. If the roots are still partly intact and some branches are still healthy you may have an outside chance but I don't like the odds after the tree has been down for any length of time.
Thank you 😊

Wanted to give an update, maybe promising. The day I made this thread I shoved 4 maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch broken ends of the pine into an area of my garden that gets lots if water when it rains, but is also in quite a bit of afternoon shade only. Two of them look toast, but two haven't yet yellowed or dropped any needles. Should I just leave them? Thoughts? I imagine uprooting them would he a death sentence, but wanted to share. Made me happy as I sort of forgot about them. 20240606_185630.jpg20240606_185639.jpg20240606_185647.jpg20240606_185654.jpg

Just leave them there. They will die off in their own time.
Conifer cuttings can stay green for a long time but green does not necessarily mean success. I have some pine cuttings in my cutting area that were taken December 2021. They are green and healthy but still no roots and unlikely to develop them.

Wanted to give an update, maybe promising. The day I made this thread I shoved 4 maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch broken ends of the pine into an area of my garden that gets lots if water when it rains, but is also in quite a bit of afternoon shade only. Two of them look toast, but two haven't yet yellowed or dropped any needles. Should I just leave them? Thoughts? I imagine uprooting them would he a death sentence, but wanted to share. Made me happy as I sort of forgot about them. View attachment 550717View attachment 550718View attachment 550719View attachment 550720
Those are dead. Note the reddish color? That's a pretty good sign that they're not coming back. As said, conifers can remain green for some time after death.

Ok, well, the two are far greener than the other two so I'm going to give some hope. The soil they're in is nearly pure mycelium hoping mother fungi has other plans. Either way, fun test at an otherwise sad story. Luckily the 20 ft. remaining trunk has some branches left so maybe it will backbud.

Back
Top Bottom