Mass produced bonsai pots okay for winter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Getting ready for my first winter as a bonsai person, I've got a few cheapy mass produced bonsai pots, seems like the company name is Lotus International, are they gonna be okay outside for the winter? I mean, I would assume so otherwise the company wouldn't sell as many of them as they do, but just wanted to soothe my anxieties, most of them are this kind of thing, available in a few standardized sizes, and it doesn't get too terribly cold where I am, certainly we'll have a few nights below freezing but only a couple nights maybe into the teens Fahrenheit

BPPRO10A3-247x296.jpg

I think that you will be fine in your climate, but it is a crap shoot. Sometimes these Chinese slip cast pots will start cracking in my zone 6 climate and others will last a few years.

Some are good some not.
Ive got two of these pots and seen more of them so i am sure it was mass produced.
This ulmus is in one and last winter it lost a part with only minor frost.
The other is unused but might very well not happen with that one... at least it didnt fully break

Screenshot_20241017_190017_Discord.jpg

Some are good some not.
Ive got two of these pots and seen more of them so i am sure it was mass produced.
This ulmus is in one and last winter it lost a part with only minor frost.
The other is unused but might very well not happen with that one... at least it didnt fully break

View attachment 571304
Yeah, I mean the only outside plant I have in one of them right now is a procumbens nana, if the pot cracks whatever it was cheap, I'd just like to not have to do an emergency repot in the middle of winter, I have a ficus in one, but that's just happily living in the spare bedroom until things warm up again

Yeah, I mean the only outside plant I have in one of them right now is a procumbens nana, if the pot cracks whatever it was cheap, I'd just like to not have to do an emergency repot in the middle of winter, I have a ficus in one, but that's just happily living in the spare bedroom until things warm up again
If it happens just put it in a pot little bigger even a cut down nursery pot will be sufficient and fill around with mulch or whatever soil you have and wait for spring and it should be fine :)
In my case i think there might been a chip and moisture came in between the clay and the glaze the moisture expanded and pushed the glaze off

Back
Top Bottom