Malus or Prunus?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a bought a tree at home depot today and it was listed as a "Japanese Crabapple". I Know Home Depot isn't renown for having the best information with their trees so I was wondering what you guys (and gals) think. It looks more like a Prunus to me, I've never seen a Crabapple that has flowers like this. It seems more like a Japanese plum or apricot to me. It's just starting to bloom and already is flush with leaves?? From my limited knowledge I though that all Japanese apricot or plums flower in late winter while still bare?

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 102
Do you have a picture of the bark? - and the leaves also - on second glance I realize that the leaves in that picture look like they're part of the photo on the Bonsai Today cover.

Last edited:
I have crabapples that have double blooms like that, but can't really tell which it is. leaves would maybe help.

love the sneaking of the BT #1 cameo in there ..... :)

and no, plums and cherries both often flower while leaves are emerging ....

Last edited:
Mike, I would have to agree with you assessment that this is probably a Prunus, judging solely by the flower. I have never seen a crabapple with the combination of long stamen and large anthers like that on your flower. But, with the amount of hybridization taking place today, you never can be sure. One sure way to tell is to let the plant fruit, if possible.

I have a few Japanese crabapple shohin, but they've yet to bloom. Their leaves are quite variable, so seeing the leaf may not be distinctive.

Dirr says Malus floribunda's flowers are: "buds deep pink to red, flowers gradually fading to white, 1 - 1 1/2 inch. So these flowers may be in that transitory stage between dark pink fading to white.

Guess I didn't look hard enough the first time, there was actually a label (on the bottom of the pot... nice place for it) with it, It's apparently a Malus 'klehm's bechtel'. Its an awesome Japanese Crabapple, none of the few pics i found online do it justice. Mine is just about to start blooming. Nice to find such a wonderful species that will thrive in zone 5. I'll post some more pics when I'm able to.

"love the sneaking of the BT #1 cameo in there ....." thanks Ang3lfir3, I though it would be funny. i was just waiting for someone to say something about it.... :)

Ok Mike, how in the hell did you find back issues all the way to 1???? LOL
Chris

I second eBay as a resource. I just picked up issue 1,3&6 off eBay for $25.

Here's some pictures of the flowers now that they are starting to open. The flowers are a little larger than a quarter in size.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom