Making a plan for this weird collected larch

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
TLDR backstory: I purchased this collected American Larch in late June (the nursery was/is in Massachusetts and I'm in SE Michigan). It had been collected in 2022 and the nursery sat on it for a year to see what would die back or not. It arrived to me in the hacked-off nursery pot you see here with a bit of normal-looking potting soil, and all I did was add a thin layer of kitchen compost and throw a bunch of moss from my patio on top to try and help keep it from drying out. It lives on my patio, which sadly only gets really direct afternoon sun, and you can see a little leaf scorch that took place in August. I put it behind 30% shade cloth in September and it seemed happier (sent out a new flush of growth!).

Obviously I'm not working on it now, but am trying to come up with a plan for the thing. It has a little bit of trunk movement, a spire of deadwood up top, and the nebari of Jabba the Hutt. My initial inclination was to cut off the dead branches down by the base, trim back a little of the living branches just so they don't shade each other out and result in MORE dead branches at the base, and plant it (not at the same time, as I don't REALLY want to kill it) in a long shallow oval pot to accommodate the big weird root that, while subjectively Ugly, is also one of the more interesting parts of the tree.

I was, however, wondering if it could make sense to plant it on something of a slope so it looks more like it's leaning out over a precipice - trying to make sense of the big root behind it, as though clinging to anchor the tree? I've read that larches can be fairly root-sensitive so I'm guessing root over rock is out, and in any case my level of expertise may not be up to it at present.

Curious what anyone else may come up with! Ultimately, it's never going to be an exhibition tree or anything like, but I kind of like its weirdness.

Attachments

• larch5.jpg
    larch5.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 122
  • larch4.jpg
    larch4.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 114
  • larch3.jpg
    larch3.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 112
  • larch2.jpg
    larch2.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 112
  • larch1.jpg
    larch1.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 111

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When asking for design help, good photos really make a difference in responses. For at least a few of the photos hold the camera so the lens is level with the upper rim of the pot. "Eye Level" so to speak. We need to see front, back right and left sides. And one shot looking down at the tree.

For all the photos the more neutral the background the better. I have on occasion hung a white bedsheet to serve as backdrop for photos. The brick is not the worst but the mortar lines are distracting.

From the looking down photos it is hard to see if there is anything that can be done. I think there is something there, but it is hard to tell.

There is a fairly active bonsai scene in your area. Maybe taking the tree to a Detroit or Ann Arbor bonsai club meeting. Detroit Bonsai Society can be found searching facebook

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice and interesting larch you have there.
My initial inclination was to cut off the dead branches down by the tree or anything like, but I kind of like its weirdness.
I’d keep dead branches until design has been sorted out. You can always cut them off later.

Like @Leo in N E Illinois noted, photos at eye level, from all sides is needed for design direction.
I’m curious about the yellow tips. I’ve also experienced yellow tips on my collected Larch, even in partly shaded areas.
I’m wondering if something else is going on. Usually Larch should be able to handle direct sunlight.
This one was in dappled sun/shade all summer.
IMG_9892.jpeg

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the feedback! I've tried to get pictures on a more neutral background and closer to eye-level, though I'll admit the wood grain may still be a little problematic.

The placement of my bonsai isn't ideal - it's a brick patio facing northwest. There's indirect morning light and blazing afternoon sun in summer. The yellowed tips didn't appear until August and the new growth after I put it behind shade cloth doesn't have them, though I couldn't say if this were conclusive evidence the yellowing was for sure too much sun or was simply related to the overall health of the tree (which then improved once it had a little bit of shade, perhaps?).

I absolutely want to get to an Ann Arbor Bonsai Society meeting, but my work schedule doesn't usually allow. There is a semi-local bonsai nursery where I've taken some really helpful classes, and come spring hope to get to one of their open-studio days.

Attachments

• 2larch1.jpg
    2larch1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 2larch2.jpg
    2larch2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 2larch3.jpg
    2larch3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 76
  • 2larch4.jpg
    2larch4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 94

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for the feedback! I've tried to get pictures on a more neutral background and closer to eye-level, though I'll admit the wood grain may still be a little problematic.

The placement of my bonsai isn't ideal - it's a brick patio facing northwest. There's indirect morning light and blazing afternoon sun in summer. The yellowed tips didn't appear until August and the new growth after I put it behind shade cloth doesn't have them, though I couldn't say if this were conclusive evidence the yellowing was for sure too much sun or was simply related to the overall health of the tree (which then improved once it had a little bit of shade, perhaps?).

I absolutely want to get to an Ann Arbor Bonsai Society meeting, but my work schedule doesn't usually allow. There is a semi-local bonsai nursery where I've taken some really helpful classes, and come spring hope to get to one of their open-studio days.
Thanks, I’ve wondered about whether in Newer collected American larches need to be shaded for a while. Seems to be the case.

I like pic 2. And once thinned out, I think a very cool silhouette will emerge! Nice.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would cut off all the lower stuff and leave some deadwood stubs. Just leave the growth near the top to interact with the deadwood spire. Small pot eventually and you completely change the scale of the tree. Plant it at a an angle going away from the large root. That will make it look like it's anchored from that root. I picture it leaning off the edge of a cliff. Screenshot_20231014_214520_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! I get it - it would absolutely fit the aesthetic of a tree just hanging onto a ledge and barely making it. Remains to be seen if I have the wherewithall to cut that many branches all in one go. >_>;; I've got all winter to get up the gumption!

Then comes the challenge of finding just the right pot...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
semi-local bonsai nursery
If this is the same nursery from back in my old stomping grounds, then their open studio days are an invaluable resource imo. Plus they ground grow larch, so they've got the species experience.

Stylistically, I second the above virtual. You've got some nice taper up to your deadwood spire, reminds me of this juniper of Eric Schrader's (one of my personal favorites)
too-straight-for-a-juniper-bonsai-953705_750x.jpg

Top Bottom