1st time making Bonsai from half dead Spruce!! What do you think?

bennybonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
I had this half dead what i think is a Spruce in part of tge garden which has hardly any light. So i dug it up and root/branch pruned then put it this pot with a bit of wiring. What do you think? This is my 1st time so go wasy on me.. 20240125_130856.jpgIMG-20240125-WA0006.jpg

New also but maybe wire the side branches you saved downward instead and leave it in recovery for awhile
You mean the top ones? They are wired haha. That's how i wanted it to look kinda dig it. Or do you mean the bottom 4 but just bend them down more? Why would i need to do that out of interest? Complete noob here.

One thing I would consider is, wiring branches such that they don’t exit the trunk at Straight 90° angles.
I might pull the base of the branches up and then wire down.IMG_0354.jpeg

Plan on this tree dying so you’re no disappointed if or when it does. That being said it was a great learning and practice. Your wiring needs work. Try watching some videos online to get the angle right and how to pair branches. Wiring branches that sit across from each other doesn’t anchor the wire well and is hard to set them. Stylistically avoid the branches at the same level aka bar branches. They can create a swelling at that spot. If you enjoyed yourself in the process then that’s the important thing!

Plan on this tree dying so you’re no disappointed if or when it does. That being said it was a great learning and practice. Your wiring needs work. Try watching some videos online to get the angle right and how to pair branches. Wiring branches that sit across from each other doesn’t anchor the wire well and is hard to set them. Stylistically avoid the branches at the same level aka bar branches. They can create a swelling at that spot. If you enjoyed yourself in the process then that’s the important thing!
Awesome thanks Jboots I'll put all of that into practice on the next one. Yes definitely having fun.

You mean the top ones? They are wired haha. That's how i wanted it to look kinda dig it. Or do you mean the bottom 4 but just bend them down more? Why would i need to do that out of interest? Complete noob here.
Like was mentioned they appear to be bar branches and I didn't want to suggest doing much more work on this now but just to adjust the branch structure slightly. Eckhoffw's advice is great and yes I just meant the bottom 4 for now

Right yeah okay no worries. I should have researched more before i started im making mistakes every day, but im learning from those mistskes and everyone on here so its all good. Thanks again

We've all been there, as long as you learn from your mistakes it isn't a waste,

This video series really improved my wiring, its free and you don't need to sign up

I'd recommend joining a local club for local advice and guidance, find people whose trees you like and ask them how they did it.

Youre really lucky location wise because Swindon, Heathrow and Crawley all have really good bonsai shows for inspiration and usually the people who made the trees are happy to answer questions.

Keeping trees alive is the most important thing, and if they don't make it, understanding why it didn't make it comes second,

the way I see it this was probably destined to be ripped out of your garden either way, if you got experience wiring and chopping branches its a win.

We've all been there, as long as you learn from your mistakes it isn't a waste,

This video series really improved my wiring, its free and you don't need to sign up

I'd recommend joining a local club for local advice and guidance, find people whose trees you like and ask them how they did it.

Youre really lucky location wise because Swindon, Heathrow and Crawley all have really good bonsai shows for inspiration and usually the people who made the trees are happy to answer questions.

Keeping trees alive is the most important thing, and if they don't make it, understanding why it didn't make it comes second,

the way I see it this was probably destined to be ripped out of your garden either way, if you got experience wiring and chopping branches its a win.
Yeah it's all about learning for me at this point.

I'll get onto that video series for sure, hopefully up my game a little.

Oh wicked! Ill have to try and check those shows out for sure.

Yeah if the Spruce doesnt make then at least I've learnt something from it and had a bit of fun whilst having a go. Just taking day by day.

If it somehow makes it and lives I'll post a couple of pics.

Happy growing bud

For future tree designs, branches should alternate / stagger as they go from bottom to top of tree. Doing so distributes energy more evenly throughout the tree, otherwise you will get swelling on the trunk at the place where two branches emerge from the same level/plane (paralleled branches emerging from left and right at same place).

Consider also having branches emerge from: 1) behind the tree; 2) the sides; and 3) toward the front so that the overall tree is 3-D and not flat or 2-D. When you’re standing underneath a tall tree in the woods and you look up at it, generally you see branches emerging from all around the trunk. Imagine you’re a tiny person underneath your tree. What do you see?

For future tree designs, branches should alternate / stagger as they go from bottom to top of tree. Doing so distributes energy more evenly throughout the tree, otherwise you will get swelling on the trunk at the place where two branches emerge from the same level/plane (paralleled branches emerging from left and right at same place).

Consider also having branches emerge from: 1) behind the tree; 2) the sides; and 3) toward the front so that the overall tree is 3-D and not flat or 2-D. When you’re standing underneath a tall tree in the woods and you look up at it, generally you see branches emerging from all around the trunk. Imagine you’re a tiny person underneath your tree. What do you see?
Thanks for the advice Bonsai forrest. Yeah i discovered everything you've said above 1 day after doing it haha. I'll take all into consideration on my next one though. I really like it though as its a good reminder of the start of my Bonsai journey and i had fun with it. So im hoping it stays alive, it seams to be doing okay at the moment.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice Bonsai forrest. Yeah i discovered everything you've said above 1 day after doing it haha. I'll take all into consideration on my next one though. I really like it though as its a good reminder of the start of my Bonsai journey and i had fun with it. So im hoping it stays alive, it seams to be doing okay at the moment.

Cheers
Glad to hear it! Happy growing! Cheers 🍻

Back
Top Bottom