Looking for feedback on this juniper

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I bought this Juniper squamata as nursery stock and cut it to an inch from the ground before putting it in a box and leaving it to grow for 3 years. It has always been a strong grower and this is now the second season I've been trying to develop a style for this tree.

I've thought about removing or jinning the entire top to give it a more traditional shape. It was previously left to grow vigorously so I know the foliage pads need to be developed.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, critique or suggestion as I've spent plenty of time staring at this tree an I'm still not sure I'm happy with it.

IMG_4192.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0637.JPG
    SANY0637.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SANY0636.JPG
    SANY0636.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 52

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
... nursery stock and cut it to an inch from the ground before putting it in a box and leaving it to grow for 3 years.
Did you leave any green on the tree after cutting it to an inch?

So basically this trees was grown from a tiny stump in 3 years time?
The branches look a bit thick compared to the trunk but nevertheless it's a nice result in 3 years time.

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Did you leave any green on the tree after cutting it to an inch?

So basically this trees was grown from a tiny stump in 3 years time?
The branches look a bit thick compared to the trunk but nevertheless it's a nice result in 3 years time.

It had a single leader which was basically just foliage. It's a bit hidden, but the first cut was at the very first bend above the nebari.

It is now in it's 5th year of development, 3 years in large growing pot / box and then this is the second growing season that I've been working on styling it, so 4+ years since the chop.

I had this in a large pot and it just grew. Here it is in June 21 and 15 months later in Sep 22:
bons21.JPGAFJD2157.JPG

I'm guessing the continual growth is what has caused the branches to be too thick.

Thanks for your feedback.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I bought this Juniper squamata as nursery stock and cut it to an inch from the ground before putting it in a box and leaving it to grow for 3 years. It has always been a strong grower and this is now the second season I've been trying to develop a style for this tree.

I've thought about removing or jinning the entire top to give it a more traditional shape. It was previously left to grow vigorously so I know the foliage pads need to be developed.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, critique or suggestion as I've spent plenty of time staring at this tree an I'm still not sure I'm happy with it.

View attachment 523954
looks an lot like a walking man

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You appear to be trying to style this as a bonsai... instead of styling it like an old tree in nature.

Remove most of the lower foliage, jin off the thick branch on the right, and work to create fine pads of foliage on thin, delicate branches. Right now the majority of your larger branches are too thick for your design - so work on pushing the foliage back into the interior, and creating new fine branches. When you are ready, jin your big branches - and carve them down so the jins are fine and delicate instead of being clunky and thick.

virt.jpg

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You appear to be trying to style this as a bonsai... instead of styling it like an old tree in nature.

Ok. That's very helpful. I think I finally understand what that John Naka quote means.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to draw up the sample design. I can see now what needs work.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What helps me sometimes when I am stuck thinking about a tree is to look for a tree in nature to serve as "inspiration" for my design. I print out a picture of the tree and have it on my workbench as I style. Even if the bonsai does not match the photo, it helps to have a reference point so that you can see how thick your foliage should be, or how thick the branches should be, or what deadwood on the tree looks like.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Remove most of the lower foliage, jin off the thick branch on the right, and work to create fine pads of foliage on thin, delicate branches. Right now the majority of your larger branches are too thick for your design - so work on pushing the foliage back into the interior, and creating new fine branches. When you are ready, jin your big branches - and carve them down so the jins are fine and delicate instead of being clunky and thick.

View attachment 523982
Sorry, but this reminded me very Much of this little yew I picked up a couple years ago. IMG_8544.jpeg
🤨🤣

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Posting because I want to say another big thanks, I am now super happy with the direction the tree is going in. It had quite a few faults and it used to bug me every time I looked at the tree that I couldn't figure it out. I've learned a big lesson on not letting branches get too thick, something that will help me with with developing all my trees in the future.

IMG_4199.jpg

Not sure why but the camera exaggerates the top 🤷‍♂️

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like the new direction and decisions you made!

I think you need to watch some videos on wiring. Looks a bit sloppy!

Would like to see this tree in a few years with pads filled out.

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I really like the new direction and decisions you made!

I think you need to watch some videos on wiring. Looks a bit sloppy!

Would like to see this tree in a few years with pads filled out.

Thanks for taking a look and the comments.

On a practical level my wiring ability has served me well for many years. That being said, the wiring on this tree is sloppy 😓 There's been a lot of tweaking and moving of branches and trying to get things into position with this tree over the past 12 months. I'll have to up my game next time I post a tree.

Maybe in 12 months time when the pads fill out I can have it looking nicer 😅

Top Bottom