Looking for a mature living coast redwood stump...

nichieagle0000

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I've been fascinated by the idea of recreating a coast redwood fairy ring in a pot. I'm looking for a tree up to a foot in diameter, that was ideally allowed to grow in the ground after it was cut down, so that the sprouts from around the base would thicken and shoot up, before it would be dug up from the ground and potted. I live in the Sacramento area, so there are no properties in the immediate vicinity where redwoods. If someone knows where I might be able to get that without traveling too far, where I might even be allowed to dig it out of the ground if the owner of the property wants to get rid of it, I would greatly appreciate that. I greatly doubt this kind of material would be available at a bonsai store or a nursery. Any help would we appreciated. Oh, and another thing, since I would need a huge pot, if anyone knows where I could get a two foot in diameter but rather shallow pot, that would also help. Thank you in advance for any leads.

nichieagle0000

Seedling
Reaction score
I think that @mwar15 snd @NaoTK make pots that big.

Good luck!
Thank you for your response, I will keep this in mind, once I actually have the tree and have an idea about the dimensions I will reach out to them. I also just followed them so as not to lose their profiles.

nichieagle0000

Seedling
Reaction score
Bob Shimon at Mendocino Coast Bonsai would be your best resource. He may not have what you want but he'd be the guy I'd talk to about finding it. https://mcbonsai.com/
Thanks, I'll reach out to him. Since he's in Redwood territory, he might, indeed, have the connections to locate what I need.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thats where my redwood came from. But there were a couple other members here who bought expensive trees that died rather quickly. One guy said there turned out to be zero roots. So, might wanna ask how long since collection on any trees you’re interested in.

nichieagle0000

Seedling
Reaction score
Thats where my redwood came from. But there were a couple other members here who bought expensive trees that died rather quickly. One guy said there turned out to be zero roots. So, might wanna ask how long since collection on any trees you’re interested in.
Thanks for the insight. I know what you mean; I collected one that looked good and was really promising, but with little experience, I did not save enough roots, and it died on me. I learned that lesson the (super) hard way. So for a tree I'm looking for, the root ball should be about 2 feet, for training purposes, and I would need a pot a little larger than 2 feet in diameter, but hopefully shallow enough (about 6-7 inches high). But I'll cross the pot bridge once I find the right tree...

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the insight. I know what you mean; I collected one that looked good and was really promising, but with little experience, I did not save enough roots, and it died on me. I learned that lesson the (super) hard way. So for a tree I'm looking for, the root ball should be about 2 feet, for training purposes, and I would need a pot a little larger than 2 feet in diameter, but hopefully shallow enough (about 6-7 inches high). But I'll cross the pot bridge once I find the right tree...

If you find the tree, build a wooden box for it until you find the pot.

Don't want to miss out on the tree just because you can't find a pot on short notice.

nichieagle0000

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, I actually thought about that, the only problem is, I live in an apartment, so I don't have the tools or the space to do that. I need to find someone to build it for me, but it shouldn't be a problem. This might actually be the best option while the tree is in training, this way I can build a box a little larger than what the tree will eventually need.

Top Bottom