Literati Style Penjing - Shimpaku

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Here are the images that will inspire the trees created. These are all sargents juniper but have a very similar look to mine. If you dont own this book i personally highly recommend it.
What book was this?

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was checking on this tree closely today, that hasn’t exactly taken off since repot. Not sure if this borer hole was from last year or this. To be sure I scraped back the dead and squeezed som diluted bleach in the hole with a q tip.

As much as I want to I’ll restyle this tree, I’d like to see it more vigorous before I dive in. Maybe in another month or so.
IMG_6302.jpegIMG_6304.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was checking on this tree closely today, that hasn’t exactly taken off since repot. Not sure if this borer hole was from last year or this. To be sure I scraped back the dead and squeezed som diluted bleach in the hole with a q tip.

As much as I want to I’ll restyle this tree, I’d like to see it more vigorous before I dive in. Maybe in another month or so.
View attachment 493595View attachment 493596
Did ya find the bastard? Fingers crossed for you.. borers killed a Lodgepole pine that was dear to me

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did ya find the bastard? Fingers crossed for you.. borers killed a Lodgepole pine that was dear to me
I know the one you speak of. A bummer for sure. honestly think this was from last year. As the hole seem unoccupied. Pretty sure if he is in there, the bleach solution knocked him out.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went through several weeks ago and cleaned out all of the dead tips and browning. The borer is clearly gone and the areas of the living tissue that dead was cleaned and scraped back. There is already callous tissue forming around those areas. A GREAT sign. I decided to rewire the trunks into place but chose to allow all of the branching to grow and get healthier. I’m wanting shoots not just green tips.

I’ve decided to dub this tree “the only child”. The smallest trunk leans the furthest away from the parents, while the parents still maintain a watchful eye over their little one.

What do y’all think?
IMG_6843.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Went through several weeks ago and cleaned out all of the dead tips and browning. The borer is clearly gone and the areas of the living tissue that dead was cleaned and scraped back. There is already callous tissue forming around those areas. A GREAT sign. I decided to rewire the trunks into place but chose to allow all of the branching to grow and get healthier. I’m wanting shoots not just green tips.

I’ve decided to dub this tree “the only child”. The smallest trunk leans the furthest away from the parents, while the parents still maintain a watchful eye over their little one.

What do y’all think?
View attachment 503539
I’m glad the borer problem is starting to resolve itself. I really like the design of the tree so far , and look forward to when it’s healthier and you can start making decisions on reducing the foliage more to really start honing in on what branches you will keep. What I would like to see again this is your judgement, but the third “ child” tree to be bent outward more but still keeping the foliage when the time comes on a similar plane to the parent trees. The far left parent tree … it might tough but I’d also like to see that tree instead of bending out and up to almost have the same trunk line as the central parent tree … if that makes sense. IMG_3951.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m glad the borer problem is starting to resolve itself. I really like the design of the tree so far , and look forward to when it’s healthier and you can start making decisions on reducing the foliage more to really start honing in on what branches you will keep. What I would like to see again this is your judgement, but the third “ child” tree to be bent outward more but still keeping the foliage when the time comes on a similar plane to the parent trees. The far left parent tree … it might tough but I’d also like to see that tree instead of bending out and up to almost have the same trunk line as the central parent tree … if that makes sense. View attachment 503546
I appreciate the honest feedback. Yes that third first trunk could use a bit more bending to be more harmonious with the middle. I may need to employ a gusset, or a branch bender to do so. But it does bother me so much as is. I def agree with the child trunk leaning further out. Would probably add to the dynamic nature of the composition more.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Very nicely done! Thank you for the book reference. Ordered it today...:)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
Very nice work !
maybe the main tree could have his top a little less leaning to the right .

View attachment 503557
Thanks Jaco. Yup I see that. Thanks for the feedback. I think what you’re suggesting is similar to what Shogun said. Parents need to be tighter and the child needs a bit more room.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another tree that has found its long term home. A slab planting using 1 large piece and 2 smaller pieces of collected moss rock. Drilled and wire together, using heavy gauge copper. This tree still hasn’t been heavily styled in a few years. After the most recent re-pot I will give it some time to settle Lynn and may go in and significantly thin later in the summer. This is another one I am very excited about in its new home. Will not re pot this one for sometime.
IMG_8615.jpeg

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks great on that slab. If you split the left trunk and raffia, you can movement in it like what Shogun drew. I think it would improve the composition.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great on that slab. If you split the left trunk and raffia, you can movement in it like what Shogun drew. I think it would improve the composition.
Yes def agree. Don’t know if I’ll need to split the trunk as I think it’s still thin enough to get some bends in there. Maybe with the use of rebar and a well placed wedge.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks so healthy, and with your styling skills, it is begging to have some work done to it. Think about it!

Top Bottom