Leather Tool Roll

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you have any interest in leatherworking at all, a tool roll is a good first project. straight lines ftw!

I like some aspects of this design (though she loses me at the sewing machine -- hand stitch or gtfo).

I would probably skip the zipper pocket out of laziness.

Tandy is a good resource. I'd also take a peek at Maverick Leather or The Leather Guy, if you're going to buy online. TBH though, leather is one of those things that's better to buy in person. If there isn't a Tandy near you, I bet there's some other leatherwork supplier within driving distance. Look for seconds/scraps -- those full italian hides can wait until you're a little more steady with the awl.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have any interest in leatherworking at all, a tool roll is a good first project. straight lines ftw!

I like some aspects of this design (though she loses me at the sewing machine -- hand stitch or gtfo).

Tandy is a good resource. I'd also take a peek at Maverick Leather or The Leather Guy, if you're going to buy online. TBH though, leather is one of those things that's better to buy in person. If there isn't a Tandy near you, I bet there's some other leatherwork supplier within driving distance. Look for seconds/scraps -- those full italian hides can wait until you're a little more steady with the awl.
Thanks for all the great info, I also saw this video and thought "Hmm not so sure I dig the sewing machine stitch as much as hand sewn"
but then I started pricing tools and such and may chose the easy way out as I have an industrial sewing machine, so it would definitely be more cash friendly.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Nice tool roll. Sewing machine basics....proper measuring and planning....had to grin some....my sewing lines aren’t quite that straight. That zipper pocket is really nice. My tool roll is quite similar, however, my voice is not that exotic.

Kyeld

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have two tool rolls made by Mark, here's my 16 pocket roll:

dTKuVYY.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have never made a tool roll, but I probably will. I use kangaroo from one of these places to make falconry hoods. It's not cheep leather, good tooling kip is cheaper, but kangaroo is thinner, softer and stronger.

http://www.mikesfalconry.com/All-thicknesses-of-Kangaroo-hide-s/43.htm

http://northwoodsfalconry.com/products-page/kangaroo-buffalo-cow/

Both of these places sell pretty good hides, no hide is perfect though.

Goat is really, really nice for gloves, so I suspect it will be good for tool rolls.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I must say, that THESE forums are simply OUT-FRIGGIN'-STANDING!!! ;)

There is such a broad spectrum of VALUABLE information here, from such a wide ranch of experts in many different fields, that it's not even funny.
Now we have incredible materials sourcing information for making tool rolls, and thank you.

Man, I LOVE this place!!! :)

BB

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked one up on the Facebook Auction sites made by Mark Leonberber, he makes a wide variety of them and they are very nicely constructed. You can reach out to him to see what he has available.

I've bought three from Mark and they are top quality. I'd highly suggest going to him. You won't be disappointed and they will last a couple lifetimes.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is such a broad spectrum of VALUABLE information here, from such a wide ranch of experts in many different fields, that it's not even funny. Now we have incredible materials sourcing information for making tool rolls, and thank you.

If you know someone that does machine stitch quilting they most likely have a German Pfaff machine or similar - http://www.sewingmachinewarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=734&pid=22. They have an incredible guide foot and handle leather easily. Crystal and her Grandmother both have them and consider them the best.

Grimmy

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you know someone that does machine stitch quilting they most likely have a German Pfaff machine or similar - http://www.sewingmachinewarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=734&pid=22. They have an incredible guide foot and handle leather easily. Crystal and her Grandmother both have them and consider them the best.

Grimmy
You know it’s funny you recommend this machine, because my mother in law told me last night I was welcome to use hers and it’s a pfaff. I’ve been reading up on sewing leather, so hear we go.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have never made a tool roll, but I probably will. I use kangaroo from one of these places to make falconry hoods. It's not cheep leather, good tooling kip is cheaper, but kangaroo is thinner, softer and stronger.

http://www.mikesfalconry.com/All-thicknesses-of-Kangaroo-hide-s/43.htm

http://northwoodsfalconry.com/products-page/kangaroo-buffalo-cow/

Both of these places sell pretty good hides, no hide is perfect though.

Goat is really, really nice for gloves, so I suspect it will be good for tool rolls.
Wow, thanks for the way cool information. I had no idea they made Roo leather but hell why not.
Great share thanks

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know it’s funny you recommend this machine, because my mother in law told me last night I was welcome to use hers and it’s a pfaff. I’ve been reading up on sewing leather, so hear we go.

The original Pfaff was handmade by Pfaff in the late 1800's to sew leather if I remember correct. VERY popular with quilters. That guide foot takes very little practice to sew a straight line while the foot control is very cool allowing you to vary speed precisely. I don't use it but I see the results they both get :)

Grimmy

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've bought three from Mark and they are top quality. I'd highly suggest going to him. You won't be disappointed and they will last a couple lifetimes.
Mark has one posted now on 99 Cent Bonsai auction and I’m sure he’ll put up a few more before the auction Etonian Thursday.

Attachments

• FA7C2B28-1F2B-48F4-9F70-22E8773B4287.jpeg
    FA7C2B28-1F2B-48F4-9F70-22E8773B4287.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 88

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking into having the local Amish harness shop make one for me.
You’ll have to post a pic of it, love to see that.
I bought everything I need to make one. Just need the time to make it now

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’ll have to post a pic of it, love to see that.
I bought everything I need to make one. Just need the time to make it now
It's going to be heavy duty. The leather and stitching will be the same as on their harnesses. The leather is full thickness. I have a guitar strap made out of it.

Top Bottom