Quercus Durata (Leather oak) mame

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Forgot about this thread! Repotted this last year (2021), it grew a little not much though. Still waiting for it to wake up this year but buds are swelling. Going to see how it does this year, I know oaks don’t like their roots to be messed with. If it doesn’t do much I might up-pot it next year. What do y’all think? Picture from February. View attachment 427283

In our area, up-potting is a sleep aid. As you know, the heat can get brutal .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
These California oaks are one thing about the west coast that fills me with envy. Wish you could grow them on the east coast zone 6.
I know this is an old post but I wanted to let you know you could probably grow Quercus turbinella and john-tuckeri, especially if you have a coldframe. In the wild they range between 6’ and 20’ in height and spread, but their leaves are even smaller than Quercus durata (we have all three at the botanic garden I work at). There’s a beautiful Tucker Oak on display in the Pacific Bonsai Museum

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this is an old post but I wanted to let you know you could probably grow Quercus turbinella and john-tuckeri, especially if you have a coldframe. In the wild they range between 6’ and 20’ in height and spread, but their leaves are even smaller than Quercus durata (we have all three at the botanic garden I work at). There’s a beautiful Tucker Oak on display in the Pacific Bonsai Museum
Thank you for this reply. Next spring I will continue the search.
I love your name. I live in the Appalachians. My nephew is Rowan.

Top Bottom