Lava sand source?

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
Saw this video on this website and on Youtube.
Does anyone know where I can purchase the fine sand he uses in. the tray that he puts his
trees?

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
Rats, the link didn't work. Sorry.
It's by Bonsaify and titled "One Mame Trick to Rule Them All."
I sent the question on his website and got a quick, very nice and detailed answer. Basically can use lava sand, somewhat coarse river sand or any finer granular soil. Even simp;y the soil you use for your pots. Want a medium for roots to grow into out of the drainage holes of the pots.
For some reason he said not to use turface. I didn't ask why. Still gonna try to find some lava sand at a reasonable price to
try. I just kinda like the way it looks.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rats, the link didn't work. Sorry.
It's by Bonsaify and titled "One Mame Trick to Rule Them All."
I sent the question on his website and got a quick, very nice and detailed answer. Basically can use lava sand, somewhat coarse river sand or any finer granular soil. Even simp;y the soil you use for your pots. Want a medium for roots to grow into out of the drainage holes of the pots.
For some reason he said not to use turface. I didn't ask why. Still gonna try to find some lava sand at a reasonable price to
try. I just kinda like the way it looks.
If your actual mame pot dries out you can be losing the roots in it and when you go to root prune it could be bad if the tree is using the roots in the tray to survive. I have been practicing doing mame size tree’s for a couple years and they need water a lot and a missed day could be bad.

I am going to be setting up a small timed irrigation for mine. They are really cool! But actually not so easy as it would seem.

Good luck!

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
Well, after reading your reply and a bunch of other posts on here I'm questioning which way to go.
Like most things there's multiple opinions from which to choose. I'll continue to ponder it for now.

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, after reading your reply and a bunch of other posts on here I'm questioning which way to go.
Like most things there's multiple opinions from which to choose. I'll continue to ponder it for now.
Ive just rinsed out a bag of scoria into a bucket and put it through mesh screen, thought is to add colour to cement.IMG_20231106_133639.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom