Lava rock style pot test run

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I'd share my first attempt at a bespoke container for one of my trees this coming spring. A little winter project in preparation.

Any criticism or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240130_224205.jpg
    20240130_224205.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240130_224253.jpg
    20240130_224253.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240130_224311.jpg
    20240130_224311.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240130_224323.jpg
    20240130_224323.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240130_224716.jpg
    20240130_224716.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 59

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like the close to the ground look just watch drainage holes letting water exit and not pool underneath from the soil water retention.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Very nice job!
I get the Laverock impression.
Maybe A couple of tiedown holes would be nice?

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your shaping is very organic looking, nicely done. Will you put any feet under these pots? Are they fired already?

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
Your shaping is very organic looking, nicely done. Will you put any feet under these pots? Are they fired already?
I should have put some feet on them. Rookie error. This is actually one pot, it is made of lightweight concrete so no firing needed 👍

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work.
I imagine if the pots are irregular enough, and stable, feet may not be required.

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks good. Doesn’t remind me of a lava rock but very nice job with the texture!
I have seen your work on etsy before it is amazing!

I am not a ceramicist, this pot is made of concrete actually but do you have any advice for sculpting the craggy textures of real rock? It was difficult to avoid a blobby, soft sort of formation.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have seen your work on etsy before it is amazing!

I am not a ceramicist, this pot is made of concrete actually but do you have any advice for sculpting the craggy textures of real rock? It was difficult to avoid a blobby, soft sort of formation.
Thanks! Try getting a lava rock and press it into some concrete or anything that will take the shape for a texture tool. If you just press lava rock into the actual piece it will create the reverse so that might look cool too!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Would you mind showing us your process for these? I’m getting intrigued.😊

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thinking of lava rock I think of scoria pumice and obsidian.
Scoria is full of air pockets and voids, it might be possible to use polystyrene bits in the mix and dissolve out with acetone leaving voids, I haven't tested yet or know how concrete would react, just an idea floating.

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
Would you mind showing us your process for these? I’m getting intrigued.😊
Sure thing.

I built an armature out of 10mm wire mesh, I cut holes for drainage. Then I applied a mouldable cement paste using this recipe:

I applied some texture into the rock by cutting some lines with a plastic knife, and poking some indents with a chopstick. Once it had dried I painted a base coat of dark grey, then dry brushed the white highlights. Finally after it had cured for a while I applied some sealer.

I'm not actually sure how it will hold up outside, in future I would probably use some polypropylene fibers in the cement mix instead of shredded paper.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sure thing.

I built an armature out of 10mm wire mesh, I cut holes for drainage. Then I applied a mouldable cement paste using this recipe:

I applied some texture into the rock by cutting some lines with a plastic knife, and poking some indents with a chopstick. Once it had dried I painted a base coat of dark grey, then dry brushed the white highlights. Finally after it had cured for a while I applied some sealer.

I'm not actually sure how it will hold up outside, in future I would probably use some polypropylene fibers in the cement mix instead of shredded paper.

Thanks for sharing!
I own a couple pots that look to be some kind of cement and fabric rebar mixture.

Pretty sure I’ll be experimenting with cement pots this year. 😁

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sure thing.

I wouldnt use polypropylene (PP) as its really soft, maybe ABS plastic would be better.
Fibreglass fibre while messy seems the common sense material to use, no expansion stretching or decomposition.

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
I wouldnt use polypropylene (PP) as its really soft, maybe ABS plastic would be better.
Fibreglass fibre while messy seems the common sense material to use, no expansion stretching or decomposition.

Thanks for the tips, I'm not familiar with composite materials.

Have you seen Jan Culek's creations? His are supposedly made of a secret composite blend which is supposedly non cementitious nor clay. I can't imagine what on earth goes into it to create such jagged designs though, any thoughts?

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the tips, I'm not familiar with composite materials.

Have you seen Jan Culek's creations? His are supposedly made of a secret composite blend which is supposedly non cementitious nor clay. I can't imagine what on earth goes into it to create such jagged designs though, any thoughts?
Similar to this video of @leatherback

Last edited:

Pleetkutta

Seedling
Reaction score
Similar to this video of @leatherback

I thought about that, but the edges of the details on Jan's pieces are so sharp, compared to the softer round looking peaks on Jelle's rock. How would wet cement hold such intricate designs?

I'm going to do lots of test pieces over the next few months, will post results here for all to see.

Top Bottom