Large Hornbeam

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is my large Korean Hornbeam. I am planning on a new pot for this come spring, and a much needed soil change.

There are plenty of options here, and 2 possible fronts to choose from. I may work both sides of this, I don't see why not. A reduction of the canopy is in order as well, along with some wiring.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

First two are sides A+B

(BTW, this is my kickoff of my challenge of sorts posting...)hint hint...

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 665

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are some more photos, a closeup of side B, and the interesting "cave" on one of the side views. I'll probably do something to clean up the roots, maybe do approach grafting, maybe lower the tree, and carve a bit. maybe all of that.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 389

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are the fall color shots, love they way they are never all one color at once. I'll take some naked shots if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 396

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the "cave" is an interesting place to start. This means, I think, that you'll have to do something with the sort of double-root that is on the left. This is the kind of feature that can really be central to the development of everything in the trunks and canopy above.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree.

I would probably do the quick & dirty way and find a nice sized rock to nestle perfectly in that cave. ;) I did that on my "windswept" boxwood to "fix" the aerial roots and the reverse taper.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree.
The challenge for me, would be to make the shorter trunk less powerful, since right now it is somewhat competing with the taller trunk.
I would probably hollow it out (which woud reduce it's thickness), but keep it alive. It's not an easy technique, but very doable.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice!! I like the view from the second picture (front #2?). I'm wondering...is there a chance the roots will let you tip the tree to the left maybe 15-20 degrees?

Attachments

• IMG_2189.1.jpg
    IMG_2189.1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree. What does it look like rotated slightly so the shorter trunk is either a little behind or a little in front of the taller trunk ? Does it decrease the angle between them ? Could you post a pic ? Thx.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Korean import, right?
Yup, it's an old one, brought over in 80's.

I don't know for sure till I repot it, what the roots will allow, but I think that I could get away with tipping it Dave.

@fred, I agree, that cave is very interesting. What would you do with these double roots? They are what forms part of the cave.

@ Atilla, as I haven't settled on a front yet, the carving will have to wait, but I see your point about the conflict of the trunks. But to me, it's not so distracting.... yet...
(btw, lets see some of yours now...)

Dario, I kinda like the negative space, but I suppose a rock would work if I stop liking it... I just always shy away from "cheating?" not that it really is, but you know.... I like the hollows in the bases of D trees. I'm surrounded with forests full of them, so it looks natural to me.

Thanks for all the comments, and I agree that it's a nice tree. Just to give you an idea of size, the pot is 18x14. I can't take the credit for it, I have only had this for a few months, but it will be a better tree in a few years, which is what counts -no?

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
here you go davtree, starting with side A rotating clockwise.

Kennedy, just by commenting you're adding to the discussion! Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last 4 of the rotation sequence.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 300

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry -both those replies took the pictures out of order. I tried to move them around correctly, or reload, but they keep coming up however they want.... But hopefully you get the idea.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never seen a twin trunk that was one trunk very much in front of the other. I'll go look around for something about this.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never seen a twin trunk that was one trunk very much in front of the other. I'll go look around for something about this.

Not that much. It is like putting your best foot forward...just by a bit. For me, it creates depth, more dynamic (and more drama ;) )....personal taste thing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm still liking my original suggestion of tipping the tree to the left. The shorter trunk's chop scar is visible, but I think you could carve that out a bit, and maybe bring the carving down the trunk. This would add interest and maybe lighten its' visual weight so it won't compete as much with the taller trunk.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
You already said you like the cave but in case you change your mind don't forget about air-layering as an option. Might give the base a more graceful transition as well as its a little bulbous

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the double roots, I'd remove the inner one. This will make the cave larger and simplify the appearance of the tree overall.

Top Bottom