Large European Beech

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
The most recent tree that my father and I purchased is this massive European Beech. The tree was delivered today by John Muth of Bonsai Northwest, who I purchased the tree from.

John has had the tree for about 10 years, and prior to that it was grown in the ground by one of his students for about 15 years from a 3 year old seedling. While the age of this tree is only about 27-30 years, it feels like a much older tree, due to the careful and meticulous pruning work that was done while this tree was growing in the ground.

While this tree is massive and has good branching, it needs quite a bit of work to make it an exceptional bonsai. It will be repotted this spring, and we will begin careful refinement and pruning techniques to chase the growth back into the interior of the tree and strengthen those branches. It also has several scars that need some healing.

Also, since it was grown in the ground for many years, the tree just has an average nebari. Subsequent repottings will help to improve this over time.

Special thanks to John Muth for delivering this tree and caring for it for many years, and to the excellent Matt Reel for helping me move it into the bonsai garden. I'm excited to work on this tree with Michael during the rest of my apprenticeship, and improve the tree over a lifetime. It will certainly be a conversation piece of my future garden.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_7678.JPG
    IMG_7678.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_7680.JPG
    IMG_7680.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7681.JPG
    IMG_7681.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 220
I'd love to see some better shots of the tree please... and interior as well, I have a large EU beech and love the specie. Not as big as yours...
Judy, I'll get some pictures sometime soon! We will strip the leaves and clean up the moss growing on the trunk in the next couple weeks, so I will take pictures when we have it in the studio. I still haven't seen it naked yet, and am quite eager to see what is all there!

Currently getting through a cold, so just getting it moved into the yard has drained me for now!

I'd love to see some better shots of the tree please... and interior as well, I have a large EU beech and love the specie. Not as big as yours...
Do you have a thread started for your tree? I would love to take a look! :)

That's a really impressive tree! I have a couple of those two-man trees in early development stage. They're too heavy for my wife to help me with so I have to wait until my son is in town or "phone a friend" to move the darn things. Kind of a pain but they make for good conversation. Looking forward to updates as you work it.

Seeing the poles bending under the weight of that pot...woof!! Looking forward to seeing this one leafless.
Yes, we're going to need bigger poles! Especially when it gets moved from its micah pot to a ceramic!

Wow, large seems like an understatement.

Just took some measurements...

The tree, from the rim of the pot, is 54 inches tall, or 4ft 6in. From the ground, the tree stands at 5ft 5in tall.

The widest part of the base of the trunk is about 15 inches.

The spread of the branches are about 5 1/2 ft wide.

The pot is 32" long by 24" wide.

You've forgotten the most important measurement. How much the whole thing weight? ;)

WoW that's a beast. You have a lifetime of fun ahead of you. Mine have been frustrating me a bit since I had it. My own stupidity though. Its tough to get buds closer to the trunk and primaries for ramification. This year I followed the following advise closely and for the first time I feel in control of it. This year so far its budding back to where it never went... ;)http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Beechadvancedpruning.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom