Larch with Taper.... they do exist.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I am crazy, probably clinically nuts. I drove about 9 hours yesterday to hunt a new area and collected one tree and I can't wait to go back.

I have hunted for years for Larch with taper which in Michigan are nearly impossible to find but I found this tree yesterday with what seemed to be an impossibly large base. It was growing directly on a rock with very little soil. I wanted to post the tree here to share it with others and also to have a place to look back on its development.

It is not mind bending material or anything but it has a wizard dwarfed appearance and the common Larch without taper can be hard to design. I plan to compact it more of course but that will come much later. Thanks for looking!

image0 (4).jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Awesome find … wish I was in larch land.
was this on a high elevation area or an outcropping of rocks near a bog /lake?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome find … wish I was in larch land.
was this on a high elevation area or an outcropping of rocks near a bog /lake?
I love your profile pic, I have considered getting something like him as a tattoo but changed my mind. Anyway, this tree is not in a bog type environment but a very rocky shoreline. The tree has one significant hurdle, the foliage is pretty high up. I don't want to graft this though and I think with a good styling will come out well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
bump.. how's the tree coming along?
Unfortunetly this tree died. It did not survive collection. Surprisingly, out of 16 collected Larch last year, this was the sole casualty, and it is worth noting it was the only one collected in the spring.

I still believe that spring is a good time to collect Larch but it has me wondering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunetly this tree died. It did not survive collection. Surprisingly, out of 16 collected Larch last year, this was the sole casualty, and it is worth noting it was the only one collected in the spring.

I still believe that spring is a good time to collect Larch but it has me wondering.
Sorry to hear that, it had great potential.

What other time of year do you collect? (I have a ton of larches around also).

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Interesting 🧐 do you use the heat mats when you collect in fall or do you just leave it on ground in elements , I think I remember you had it in a enclosed area behind chicken wire

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear that, it had great potential.

What other time of year do you collect? (I have a ton of larches around also).
I collect most of my Larch in September actually, in Northern Michigan.
Interesting 🧐 do you use the heat mats when you collect in fall or do you just leave it on ground in elements , I think I remember you had it in a enclosed area behind chicken wire
I do use some bottom heat (just a simple de-icing cable). Around November 1st I mulch them in behind a few big cages that I have built. It works really well.

Top Bottom