Larch - abandon hope?

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_9300.jpegIMG_9299.jpegIMG_9302.jpeg

I picked up this Japanese larch a few days ago from a local nursery. Its rootball was bound in burlap. It had a nice trunk so I decided to take a gamble on it and when I unbound the rootball to put it in a pot I discovered it was planted in nearly pure clay. The clay ball fell apart in chunks and it basically bare rooted itself. I also discovered that other than a large taproot that was cut when it was dug up, there were nearly no roots. Maybe 10-20 spaghetti sized strands roughly 6” long. It wasn’t as if they broke off in the clay, there were nearly no roots to begin with.

I put it into a 5 gallon nursery can in pumice, lava rock, some bark compost, and a bit of akadama.

My question is for those who are experienced with larch. Should I basically just accept that this tree isn’t going to make it or have you found that there is enough energy in the trunk and growing buds to power it through making roots to support itself this year?

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Larch are very sensitive to having their roots disturbed, especially cut. I have been able to transplant them fairly reliably by doing it when the buds are just swelling and some green is showing through. But root pruning has been one of those unreliable things. I have to give them real special care afterwards. Nigel Saunders has a lot of videos on his Bonsai Zone Youtube channel where he bare roots them and cuts away but he is in Canada. Since you didn’t mention your location or have it in your settings I have no idea whether you are in a good place or bad. Good luck with this one but don’t give up, it seems to have a lot of green buds.

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m located just north of Seattle, Washington (zone 8b). Any tips on special care I should be giving it?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I am in zone 7a whereas you are in 8b so depending on your microclimate don’t let the roots freeze, keep it in dappled shade, and keep it moist. These need to keep their roots cool and move a lot of water through the vascular system to help stay cool. Japanese larch are a bit less sensitive than our natives but don’t get over confident if it leafs out and looks good. I killed 2 by letting them get a little too much sun in mid-August one year—dropped their needles and died in a couple of days. Even healthy I keep mine in part shade all the time except early spring when there are no leaves on the trees to provide shade. Once the buds start to open just let it grow to recover, no pruning at first. I usually prune in late May, late June, and August but with your tree it is a guessing game. On one hand your roots are limited so it may get stressed if the canopy is too big to stay hydrated, but pruning it may limit its ability to move water through the tree which could also lead to heat stress. Without a better feel for the roots I am just not sure which way to go. There are some good care notes on the Mirai website that you might want to download.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You kinda lost me here. Are you saying that this tree came from a nursery in this condition, with virtually no roots and a chopped off tap root? It almost sound like it was just collected and balled up this way. Was there any sign of life when you bought it? I would guess that the chances of it living are slim to zero, and I would take it back to the nursery and let them know what happened when you removed the burlap. IMO, you're due your money back.

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You kinda lost me here. Are you saying that this tree came from a nursery in this condition, with virtually no roots and a chopped off tap root? It almost sound like it was just collected and balled up this way. Was there any sign of life when you bought it? I would guess that the chances of it living are slim to zero, and I would take it back to the nursery and let them know what happened when you removed the burlap. IMO, you're due your money back.
Ya that’s the way it came from the nursery. It’s pushing buds all over, so yes signs of life. Whether they would take it back, I’m not sure.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ya that’s the way it came from the nursery. It’s pushing buds all over, so yes signs of life. Whether they would take it back, I’m not sure.
Larch will fake you out sometimes. If chopped up like yours was, they will start to bud out and then freeze up and the buds do no grow or swell anymore, and that's the end of that. Tell us what happens with yours in a little bit.

I would sure contact the nursery though and let them know what is going on so they are aware. Maybe a collector brought the tree in that way and they should be made aware of that.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I put it into a 5 gallon nursery can in pumice, lava rock, some bark compost, and a bit of akadama.

My question is for those who are experienced with larch. Should I basically just accept that this tree isn’t going to make it or have you found that there is enough energy in the trunk and growing buds to power it through making roots to support itself this year?
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Ugh. Looks like it was dug recently.

Likely have a shot to survive if the tree is kept properly now it’s in well drained soil. Basically what @WNC Bonsai mentioned, but I’d find a place with bright shade if possible. Water well - larches like to be in moist media.

The basic concern is how much top hamper the plant has vs the root mass described. That’s what @August44 hints at. There is so much foliage it’s going to be a struggle for the roots to feed the foliage.

So… you choice. Either go as is, take the tree back to the nursery and get something a bit easier to handle (my recommendation) or push back the foliage to lessen the load on the tree…quite a bit…

If pushing back is what is chosen… do it soon…larches can take a really hard push back as long as there is 3-4 buds per branch …. But be sure to seal each cut with cut paste, the tree may not like to loose lots of water. Entire small branches could be removed if not in the potential design. Larger too, but leave a 1” stub.

btw: please enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness Zone. To do this click on your icon on top right of the page, then select account details, scroll down and enter this data. It will help us help you better.

Please post updated information as you move forward for others to learn.

Best
DSD sends

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Larch will fake you out sometimes. If chopped up like yours was, they will start to bud out and then freeze up and the buds do no grow or swell anymore, and that's the end of that. Tell us what happens with yours in a little bit.

I would sure contact the nursery though and let them know what is going on so they are aware. Maybe a collector brought the tree in that way and they should be made aware of that.
I know for a fact this one came from their own farm where they field grow. I may contact to let them know but I wasn’t overly impressed with my experience there so I may just take my business elsewhere in the future.

If I end up keeping it I’ll be sure to update its progress or status depending on what the outcome ends up being.

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Ugh. Looks like it was dug recently.

Likely have a shot to survive if the tree is kept properly now it’s in well drained soil. Basically what @WNC Bonsai mentioned, but I’d find a place with bright shade if possible. Water well - larches like to be in moist media.

The basic concern is how much top hamper the plant has vs the root mass described. That’s what @August44 hints at. There is so much foliage it’s going to be a struggle for the roots to feed the foliage.

So… you choice. Either go as is, take the tree back to the nursery and get something a bit easier to handle (my recommendation) or push back the foliage to lessen the load on the tree…quite a bit…

If pushing back is what is chosen… do it soon…larches can take a really hard push back as long as there is 3-4 buds per branch …. But be sure to seal each cut with cut paste, the tree may not like to loose lots of water. Entire small branches could be removed if not in the potential design. Larger too, but leave a 1” stub.

btw: please enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness Zone. To do this click on your icon on top right of the page, then select account details, scroll down and enter this data. It will help us help you better.

Please post updated information as you move forward for others to learn.

Best
DSD sends
Thanks for the warm welcome!
If I decide to push it back, should I aim for 3-4 buds per branch or just go no further than that? It’s a rather large tree at this point and I would ideally want to push it fairly far back to get it under control but I’d been given advice previously that the green growth is what powers the root development. Sounds like maybe I need to find a balance between not overwhelming the roots that are here and giving it something to power the hopeful root development or am I incorrect with that?

Thanks for the advice on the profile bit, I’ve updated that.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good thoughts

It’s an interesting question.

If it’s cut back, this will ease the pressure on the roots, letting the roots get the sugars and carbohydrates they need and grow..

If one waits until all that growth hardens off the roots will have to work really hard deliver to the massive amounts water and micronutrients to support all that foliage..

Your tree, your choice. 😉

cheers
DSD sends

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems like a pretty clear choice given the information and context. Thank you! I’ll be sure to update with the end result, whether it survives or not

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm interested in how this looked out since I collected 4 larches just yesterday (just young trees that someone down the street wanted out). They were growing on a dune in almost pure sand. I dug what seemed like a good rootball on them but upon getting home and going through them, I found - just as you did - that the larches had almost no roots. The rootball was just beach grass and other plants. It was quite strange. I'm not sure where all the roots even were. They were just starting to break bud and the weather is cool and rainy, but above freezing, so I hope mine make it.

radhatter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based on the advice here I decided to remove some of the foliage to try and lessen the burden on the roots. I also spoke to the nursery owner regarding the tree and if it doesn’t survive they said they’ll work with me on a resolution… whatever that means. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here’s the tree after pruning, I’ve moved it into dappled shade as well.
IMG_9309.jpeg

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Based on the advice here I decided to remove some of the foliage to try and lessen the burden on the roots. I also spoke to the nursery owner regarding the tree and if it doesn’t survive they said they’ll work with me on a resolution… whatever that means. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here’s the tree after pruning, I’ve moved it into dappled shade as well.
View attachment 541154
Let me add another welcome to crazy. And, wishing you the best of luck with this tree. Please report to us in a month or so how things are going.

Top Bottom