Collected western larch (Larix occidentalis) from north Idaho

bbright

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi B-Nutters,

I haven't seen too much about western larch (Larix occidentalis) and bonsai culture online (although the little I have seen here has been helpful), so I thought I'd add my experience here. It's been a couple years since I collected this western larch, which is now budding out, so I'm hoping it will survive.

I collected it in April 2022, just before budburst, from a rocky hillside. I suspect many of the roots extended meters into this rocky soil in order for the tree to have survived our hot and dry late summers. However, I was able to keep some fine feeder roots near the base of the tree, which fit easily into this terracotta pot. Most of the native soil fell away from the roots upon collection, so it was potted in mostly bonsai substrate (pumice, fine conifer bark, and calcined clay).

Shoots emerged after collection and it seemed fine for about a month. Then all the new needles died and I figured it was a failed collection due to insufficient roots. Thankfully, I didn't throw it then and forgot about it for a few weeks. I think I was picking it up to throw it out when I discovered new growth emerging. This second growth emerged, but didn't extend, for the remainder of the 2022 growing season.

The winter of 2022/2023, I believe I treated it like my other hardy trees - I left it outside to freeze unless temperatures dropped below 15 deg F, when I'd take it into my garage that stays around 25-35 deg F when temperatures get that cold.

Last growing season (2023) it woke up and put out new needles, but these shoots didn't extend much or at all.

It's now got emerging buds (April 2024), about the same amount as last year. I recently did some light wiring to it.

One interesting thing about this tree (that maybe bodes ill?) is the reddish tips of the emerging shoots. It doesn't appear to be a larch needle disease, or at least one that I could fine online or in a book. I've seen this reddish color on some of the other larches near where I collected it, but haven't see it on other western larches in my area (usually the new growth of western larches is bright green). I figured the reddish color was water/heat stress from growing on a south facing/dry hillside where I collected it. However, this tree is now two years post collection and still pushing red/brown tipped shoots.

DSCF3817.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF3821.JPG
    DSCF3821.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 17

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck with it. They are pretty trees. That one has nice lower movement.

I've found that western larch are collectable here in the PNW zone 8, but they take a few years to overcome collection. And, ahem, a few years to slowly die if they decide on that path.

My 2 cents for next time: you wired too soon. It needs to be pushing out extensions aggressively the year before. My experience with collected western larches is that they tend to lose wired branches if they are weak, or die entirely. Yours is still weak since it's not extending.

They also can go a few seasons, with that progression of new shoots, then yellowed needles, before they die entirely. So I would continue to treat that tree as recovering from collection until it has a full season of aggressive extensions under its belt. One foot or longer. They can completely bud out, looking very healthy, without any viable roots. Easy to be tricked.

For weak trees I've found misting really helps, esp. if it's automated. I've kept weak collected larches under automated mist an entire summer and they did quite well. It's important they get lots of sun though, since they need it to recover. I've made the mistake of trying to protect them in too much shade, which led to gradual death.

bbright

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks @andrewiles for your reply. Fingers crossed that I get that extension growth this growing season and my jumping the gun on the wiring doesn't kill it! I'll give an update later in the growing season about how it has fared, whether good or bad.

Have you ever had new growth on larch with reddish/brown tips? I've been looking at my local western larch this past week and I have yet to find another individual with this coloring. It seems ominous...

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you ever had new growth on larch with reddish/brown tips? I've been looking at my local western larch this past week and I have yet to find another individual with this coloring. It seems ominous...

No, I'm not sure what that would be. Sometimes red tints like that are a response to high intensity sunlight (basically plant sunscreen via anthocyanin production), but I doubt you'd be seeing that on larches, esp. this time of year.

Agree it does seem ominous. Opening buds should be light green.

Top Bottom