Kyoto Moss Spores ( J. Roth) vLog. Pt.1 medium and progress

I've heard lots of people have tried this brand. Have you ever tried?

• yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Second post to the forum!
I'm trying to culture some Kyoto Moss spores - yes, the ones that are known to fail.
This is actually my second time giving this a go. Last time I think I was a bit lazy with it and failed for not even trying. This time around, I've done a share of research and tried my best to prepare a proper medium and habitat with what I could on a limited budget.

It has been about 4 days now and I think I'm seeing some progress.
Here is how I prepared the medium and how I distribute the spores.

Substrate:
- bottom layer of gravel
- middle layer of pine bark
- top layer of (compressed) sphagnum peat.
To be added:
- humidity dome

So the theory is to place a layer of gravel so I can keep the above substrate wet but not sogging.
The pine bark is to absorb water for the most part as well
Sphagnum peat from what I understand is decomposed sphagnum, which naturally has growth promoting enzymes(?) or something like that. seems like in nature it would be a good substitute.

I've had questions in other comments. "why culture at all? Why not go out the street and pickup moss? it is everywhere!"

Unfortunately(?) I live in Southern California. Rain is a foreign thing to us. It is either sunny or not sunny. Not the best climate for culturing moss outdoors!

Lemme know what you think. Ill keep you guys all updated. Thanks for the warm welcomes to bonsainut!

I have never heard of these EVER working, but good luck! I tried myself eons ago...

Hello everyone,

Second post to the forum!
I'm trying to culture some Kyoto Moss spores - yes, the ones that are known to fail.
This is actually my second time giving this a go. Last time I think I was a bit lazy with it and failed for not even trying. This time around, I've done a share of research and tried my best to prepare a proper medium and habitat with what I could on a limited budget.

It has been about 4 days now and I think I'm seeing some progress.
Here is how I prepared the medium and how I distribute the spores.

Substrate:
- bottom layer of gravel
- middle layer of pine bark
- top layer of (compressed) sphagnum peat.
To be added:
- humidity dome

So the theory is to place a layer of gravel so I can keep the above substrate wet but not sogging.
The pine bark is to absorb water for the most part as well
Sphagnum peat from what I understand is decomposed sphagnum, which naturally has growth promoting enzymes(?) or something like that. seems like in nature it would be a good substitute.

I've had questions in other comments. "why culture at all? Why not go out the street and pickup moss? it is everywhere!"

Unfortunately(?) I live in Southern California. Rain is a foreign thing to us. It is either sunny or not sunny. Not the best climate for culturing moss outdoors!

Lemme know what you think. Ill keep you guys all updated. Thanks for the warm welcomes to bonsainut!

Years ago I was gifted a little packet of Kyoto moss spores. All I did was sprinkle it onto a couple trees. Some really nice moss did appear on those trees, probably was the Kyoto. Ever since then I spread it around and now I've got it on most trees. I collect and use local moss but I think I recognize the Kyoto. It's one of the nicer mosses and seems to outcompete the others.
So I would have laughed at the suggestion that I need this "special Japanese moss"! Well, turns out it is one of my favourites, go figure eh?

Years ago I was gifted a little packet of Kyoto moss spores. All I did was sprinkle it onto a couple trees. Some really nice moss did appear on those trees, probably was the Kyoto. Ever since then I spread it around and now I've got it on most trees. I collect and use local moss but I think I recognize the Kyoto. It's one of the nicer mosses and seems to outcompete the others.
So I would have laughed at the suggestion that I need this "special Japanese moss"! Well, turns out it is one of my favourites, go figure eh?

lucky you! I've read that many people no have tried and failed when attempting this brand so I think you were really one of the lucky ones.
I live in southern California, not the easiest place to be culturing moss outdoors haha

lucky you! I've read that many people no have tried and failed when attempting this brand so I think you were really one of the lucky ones.
I live in southern California, not the easiest place to be culturing moss outdoors haha

I don't know if it's all that moss friendly here either, 90 degrees and 20 percent humidity today for example. Spring and fall are good for moss though I think. Anyways I have no idea what brand it might have been, probably 10 years ago, said Kyoto on the package. But if you really want to try some I could bundle some green growing Kyoto moss into an envelope for you?

I don't know if it's all that moss friendly here either, 90 degrees and 20 percent humidity today for example. Spring and fall are good for moss though I think. Anyways I have no idea what brand it might have been, probably 10 years ago, said Kyoto on the package. But if you really want to try some I could bundle some green growing Kyoto moss into an envelope for you?

Wow really!!?? That is super nice of you! As much as it is very much appreciated, I'm watching over these spores like a hen watching over her chicks and I want to watch them grow haha. I've read that patience is key - there have been cases where it took 9+ months. I'll practice my patience for now. If after 9 months nothing happens and I throw in the tower, I'll hold your offer to you. Thanks anyways though, that was very nice :)

In any case, I'll be sure to post updates on my progress. I think I'm starting to see some development haha!

Wow really!!?? That is super nice of you! As much as it is very much appreciated, I'm watching over these spores like a hen watching over her chicks and I want to watch them grow haha. I've read that patience is key - there have been cases where it took 9+ months. I'll practice my patience for now. If after 9 months nothing happens and I throw in the tower, I'll hold your offer to you. Thanks anyways though, that was very nice :)

In any case, I'll be sure to post updates on my progress. I think I'm starting to see some development haha!

Nice, good luck, hope it grows.
What I usually do when I spread it to a newly potted tree is just chop it into short small bits with scissors and mix it right into the layer of finer particles that I use on the top 1-1/2". Usually I can see just a tiny bit of moss growth by end of spring, summer whatever grew often just looks dry, brown and dead. Fall it will grow a little more, small islands. It takes 2-4 years before it's full cover. I might try the chopped sphagnum thing to establish it quicker but I kind of enjoy watching it slowly spread over a few years. Anyway, not surprised to hear 9 months.

Hey everyone, here is an update of the moss tray so far. Hint, I think it is working!

Back
Top Bottom