Growing Kyoto Moss... A Curious Approach

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
O
That tree isn't showable. I have a feeling that pot is its home. Not a big deal, elms can take shallow containers. The moss, however is becoming a problem for the tree in the pot. It should have been removed or reduced substantially a while ago. It can start to shed water from above, channeling it away from the roots. It can also hide rotten roots that need to be addressed.

Moss is not used by more experienced bonsaists for the most part, until it is temporarily put down a couple of months before a show. It is removed after the show is done. It certainly isn't allowed to mound up like this. If this tree were in a show, judges would probably deduct points for it. It doesn't look natural and hints at a bit of neglect.
Ok, I’m learning as I go, and the moss looked unique and attractive. As far as the Zelkova goes, what do you think of this particular tree. The bark is really attractive, I liked the color of the trunk, the broom style pruning looks nice.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree is hardly worth the outrageous $1750 price tag. It's a clumsy attempt at a broom. It's simply been chopped and the resulting branching has been used without much thought or manipulation. The flat angles of the uniform primary branches that begin all at one level at the chop site aren't a great starting point for the rest of the branching. Brooms are made from UPRIGHT branching that gives way to flatter angled branching to give the character. This tree doesn't do that and has no real character.

Compare it with the one below (Photo stolen from another thread but I think the tree is in Japan). It's excellent. Such bonsai are extremely difficult to pull off and the one below is something to aim for. Note HOW and WHERE the branches emerge from the trunk...

The pot the tree is in, however, is great. It's better than the tree, but still not worth $1750

Attachments

• Katos-broom-Omiya.jpg
    Katos-broom-Omiya.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 24

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut that is a ni

that is a Zelkova, a Japanese elm.
As far as the moss goes, I read that before, about crushing up the spores, but wow, I never imagined you could get moss to look that perfect
I don't think that is a zelkova-leaves are wrong. Looks like a Chinese elm to me too.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Isn’t the grey tree bark a giveaway that it is not the Chinese elm

Bonsai trees around here are expensive, if you want to pay retail.
Anything you buy today has a 50% markup

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn’t the grey tree bark a giveaway that it is not the Chinese elm

Bonsai trees around here are expensive, if you want to pay retail.
Anything you buy today has a 50% markup
No. That bark is typical of some cultivars of Chinese elms. Since Zelkova and Chinese elms are both elms, they share many similar characteristics that can make them "pass" for one another. Grey exfoliating bark is one of those traits. That is why crafty bonsai importers routinely label shipments of Chinese elm as "Zelkova" to get around tighter restrictions on Chinese elm imports. Leaf size and shape is a better way to ID. Those leaves aren't elongated lance shaped, which is typical of Zelkova. Rounder less elongated leaves are more typical of Chinese elm. Chinese elm leaf is on the left. Zelkova on the right. Note tighter serration and more round profile on the Chinese elm leaf vs the Zelkova. The rounder profile can be more pronounced in some "dwarf" cultivars of Chinese elm like Catlin, Seiju, and Hokkaido.

Attachments

• chinese elm leaf.jpg
    chinese elm leaf.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 14
  • zelkova.jpg
    zelkova.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 13

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m still in the learning process, so I’m gonna listen to you guys, but I have to say whatever kind of Elmtree it was handsome nice age add it to the beauty in detail

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
that is a Zelkova, a Japanese elm
I guess anything is possible, but it doesn't look like any zelkova I have ever seen. Zelkovas have noticeably elongated and pointed leaves, versus the symmetrical spear-shape of a Chinese elm leaf. Also zelkovas have smooth grey bark, versus the plating and exfoliating bark of a Chinese elm.

/EDIT I was responding to the earlier comment about my post and didn't read far enough ahead in the thread. @rockm already covered the subject :) Good news is that we agree :)

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know, I’m stacking up the evidence in these leaves don’t look elongated at all. Here is a more detailed close-up of the same tree.

Top Bottom