Kishu Beginnings

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know this is probably the most common post on here, but I've been looking at this Kishu for a few weeks and I'm not quite sure where to go. Pretty sure I "cleaned" too much out of the middle. I know I need to wire the whips, but there are too many "main branches". I also know some have to go, but I'm terrified I'm going to do the wrong thing my first time out. I tried covering some so I could see the design without them, but not really sure what the best design would look like. Here is a plethora of pictures, where do you guys think I should start?

Attachments

• IMG_2276.png
    IMG_2276.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2277.png
    IMG_2277.png
    483.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2301.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 70

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
there are too many "main branches"
I think you more or less nailed the main issue here. Those three primary branches from the same location are going to cause issues long term and one of them has to go.

From a structure perspective, the middle one looks like it sets you up better for the future, but it's also way bigger and better than the left branch.

I'm also a beginner, so it's hard for me to say if removing the middle branch would be safe for the tree, but I think the littlest one can come off without harm if you treat it right. Then, you'd just need to get some space between the two primary branches--easily done enough with some wire and/or a prop.

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From a structure perspective, the middle one looks like it sets you up better for the future, but it's also way bigger and better than the left branch.
When you say the middle one sets me up better, do you mean removing it sets me up for a better tree? Or keeping it sets me up better?

But you bring me to where I was tonight, thinking to air-layer the middle or left-most branch. Just not sure which.

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In my opinion, this is the future of your tree:

IMG_4314.jpeg

I would Jin the 2 branches out of the circle, but Jin’s in a tree with such dramatic movement should also have curves, you can wire them, bend them down and make some crazy curves, let them settle and Jin them in the future. Of course you are gonna have to wire the right branch too and style it.

That is just my opinion though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
I agree the right branch is the best option, because of the movement it offers compared to the others.

When you say 'cleaned out the middle' do you mean removing smaller branches? in future you may want to keep these as they are your chance to bring foliage closer to the trunk. Do you have a before pic?

Its hard to give advice from pictures because we can't see the 3d tree, I would strongly recommend you join a local bonsai club and/or attend a workshop with this tree,

this tree is better than any material I have found in the UK so far, its worth the extra effort to get right IMO

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In my opinion, this is the future of your tree:

View attachment 496229

I would Jin the 2 branches out of the circle, but Jin’s in a tree with such dramatic movement should also have curves, you can wire them, bend them down and make some crazy curves, let them settle and Jin them in the future. Of course you are gonna have to wire the right branch too and style it.

That is just my opinion though.
I agree with all of this.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think you should use the smaller branches for the design of the tree.
And when ever you think of cutting off some of the (larger) branches consider to try to air layer those off so you have the oppertunity to make some extra trees with it.

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would Jin the 2 branches out of the circle
I like where you're going with this.

When you say 'cleaned out the middle' do you mean removing smaller branches? in future you may want to keep these as they are your chance to bring foliage closer to the trunk. Do you have a before pic?
Yes, when I was cleaning it up to see the trunk movement, I think I got carried away. However, if I decide to airlayer the left two branches and go with the right branches, I may be okay. Here's a before pic from the front.

I think you should use the smaller branches for the design of the tree.
And when ever you think of cutting off some of the (larger) branches consider to try to air layer those off so you have the oppertunity to make some extra trees with it.
I think you're right.

Thanks for the responses, this is extremely helpful. I'm going to go cover the left side and take a couple pics and see what's what.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 53

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's what it looks like without the left branches. I think you guys have struck gold.

Attachments

• IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 35

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yep, there it is!

Before I was referring to removing the center branch as better structure (leaving the center and right branch makes for a bit of a crowded tree), but now I'm thinking best course would be to remove/air layer the center piece and Jin the left the branch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
In terms of the Jins - I think having them extend to about the first branch split for both would be a good length. I think they could be used to bring interest to the outside curve. Go longer than you think though - can always cut back later but can’t add.

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In terms of the Jins - I think having them extend to about the first branch split for both would be a good length. I think they could be used to bring interest to the outside curve. Go longer than you think though - can always cut back later but can’t add.
I wanted to air layer, so I was thinking about two air layers at these spots. Doesn’t leave me as much jin, but nice trees.

Attachments

• IMG_2323.png
    IMG_2323.png
    440 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yeah fair enough. It’s a trade off - im less into having more trees and more into doing whatever I can to make the ones I have the best design I can. Do I think it’d be nice to have those jins? Yea. Do I understand wanting more viable trees to grow instead? Yea. 😛

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah fair enough. It’s a trade off - im less into having more trees and more into doing whatever I can to make the ones I have the best design I can. Do I think it’d be nice to have those jins? Yea. Do I understand wanting more viable trees to grow instead? Yea. 😛
On the subject of air layering, if I use the technique Eric from Bonsaify uses (plastic pot with propagation medium and sphagnum, instead of the sphagnum ball) would I be able to put one pot around both spots since they’re so close together?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
On the subject of air layering, if I use the technique Eric from Bonsaify uses (plastic pot with propagation medium and sphagnum, instead of the sphagnum ball) would I be able to put one pot around both spots since they’re so close together?
I’m not sure, but I’d be concerned about having to disentangle the roots to separate them if they were layered together. That might not be a big deal though - it’s just my first thoughts (disclaimer - im a noob who hadn’t air-layered anything).

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
btw @cybergandalf ,you should go into your profile and add your location and USDA hardiness zone. It can really help with horticultural advice you might get on here.

Also, welcome, hope to see more of this Juniper as it grows, I love kishu.

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
you should go into your profile and add your location and USDA hardiness zone. It can really help with horticultural advice you might get on here.

Also, welcome, hope to see more of this Juniper as it grows, I love kishu.
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder!

cybergandalf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Whelp, here we go.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 23

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice! On my two separate air layer projects, I used both the tourniquet and the pot with substrate technique, but on different trees.

Here's my Azara microphylla with the pot on there. This one I stripped the bark and down to the cambium (I hope!), but I have a landscape juniper that I used a tourniquet with the sphagnum in aluminum foil technique as presented by David Cutchin on Mirai Live.

Attachments

• 20230625_202906.jpg
    20230625_202906.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom