Just me working with Japanese White Pine from seed to Come What May

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Same here. Repotted 15 trees today.

Waiting for the batches of seedlings to pop their head. If only there was a way to speed nature up. Oh wait, not. Enjoying natures' pace, kicking back and watching natures show..
It's funny, but right now, I'd rather slow nature down. In my location, I've got close to 2 months left of potentially freezing weather to deal with, but the trees in my cold room don't care... still dormant but not for long. Have a great weekend!!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's funny, but right now, I'd rather slow nature down. In my location, I've got close to 2 months left of potentially freezing weather to deal with, but the trees in my cold room don't care... still dormant but not for long. Have a great weekend!!
I know. Some 250 trees here, maybe half of them buds popping. Last frost date first week of May.. Just hoping we will not get any real frost here anymore. But well.. The shed will take some I suppose, although my back might object.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 530144
I have a 12' JWP in my front yard with a few cones on it. Should I try to do likewise? If so I could use some good pointers on collecting and stratifying the seeds. I've been more interested in grafting to JBP but have no experience or tools.

I always just use Sheffields for seed info.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Too many low quality posts lately. We have an early spring, everyone should be happy.
I would go back to some of the pine from seed contests. Ultimately it comes down to... have a great idea? Make it happen! We are very excited to see the results. But if you wish to ignore the advice and experience of those who have come before - it becomes a question of "put up or shut up". Talk is cheap. A nice JBP bonsai six years from seed? Not so easy :)

But if anyone has a better idea, great. This thread needs fewer words, more six year results!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I always just use Sheffields for seed info.

Thank you. I didn't see how to separate seeds from cone nor seeds themselves but I'm sure that's on youtube. Maybe the OP has some quality input 🤔
3 pgs in...

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried unsuccessfully to source JWP seeds 2 years ago, but gave up. I moved on to JRP and Scots, whose seeds are easily sourced and germinate consistently.
Anyway, I made another monkey pole today!
View attachment 530149
We get it you own lots of clamps. Just kidding looks like it’s well made.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We get it you own lots of clamps. Just kidding looks like it’s well made.
In woodworking, you need a lot of clamps… All shapes and sizes… You can never have enough clamps. In Bonsai, you need a lot of pots… All different shapes and sizes… You can never have enough bonsai pots 😎

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In woodworking, you need a lot of clamps… All shapes and sizes… You can never have enough clamps. In Bonsai, you need a lot of pots… All different shapes and sizes… You can never have enough bonsai pots 😎
I totally agree. That joke was just what popped into my head first, so of corse I had to say it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I totally agree. That joke was just what popped into my head first, so of corse I had to say it.
Well with all the talk about other "equipment" showing contests, it was an easy leap

Clamp waving contest for woodworkers
Pot (or bonsai shear) waving contest for bonsai hobbyists
"Equipment" waving contests for keyboard warriors.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried unsuccessfully to source JWP seeds 2 years ago, but gave up. I moved on to JRP and Scots, whose seeds are easily sourced and germinate consistently.
Anyway, I made another monkey pole today!
View attachment 530149
I’m planning some new portable tables . I like your simple bottom brace idea thanks

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any other threads on JWP from seed , search seems to turn up little . I’m unsure the success I will have . As rareness of seeds has been discussed . My seeds came from cones picked slight early last fall . Still somewhat green . ( year before someone beat me to them ) even though I was only one that asked permission . Parent tree is Glauca . In the Canadian national arboretum Ottawa Canada . Interesting I received 9 seeds from each of 5 cones . 48 hour water soak only 6 sank . 60 day cold soak in fridge . There getting a new idea for me . There being planted and going outside . It’s still winter here . To finish strat and propagate in nature . Any advice appreciated .

jonf

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't see how to separate seeds from cone nor seeds themselves but I'm sure that's on youtube. Maybe the OP has some quality input 🤔
3 pgs in...
I just started some seeds that came from a Kokonoe JWP; I collected the already opened fresh cones (from the end of the branches) in fall. Some of the seeds fall out with a shake but I pick them apart to get all the seeds. I didn't do any warm stratification like some websites suggest. I soaked them for 24 hr and did 60 days cold stratification in the fridge. 5 of around 25 seeds came up. I threw the rest of the seeds in a pot outside, I can report back if those have more success. Collect lots of seeds, and if you have a tree I wouldn't buy seed.

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great Job Jonf, My ideas was the same as yours, but I use hot water and no frig. use the cold weather outside for 4 months then inside.... Ps. To get the seed out from the cones, I put them in a big jar and give it an good shaking with the lid close, the cones will bang around the walls and lid, E Zee , seed came out, less things on the fingers, give it a try next time, its works great for me.
i'll be picking more cones this coming fall, trying to do it before they start to open all the way, and hit by the wind...
I agree, some of the best things in life are free, plus it feel good as well to know that you can do it without cash and hand.....
I did not know the JWP are in high demand... I thought it was or is the Blue Atlas Cedar.

Top Bottom