Just got a smoker!

Yep... I wanted pulled pork but didn’t want to get up at 5 am ?
Did you inject it with anything? Just trying to learn here, never thought of doing a pork loin. My dad was a master with a smoker, made an awesome pastrami. I'm just getting started.

Did you inject it with anything? Just trying to learn here, never thought of doing a pork loin. My dad was a master with a smoker, made an awesome pastrami. I'm just getting started.
Nope. Thawed in the sink this am, mustard and rub applied and on to the grill... still semi frozen in the middle?. Indirect heat/smoke at 250 for almost 4 hours then bbq sauce brushed on and wrapped in foil for the 3 hours until I hit 205 internal temp. It would have cooked faster if it wasn’t so cold at the beginning.

It is, though he has moved a county over now. I did some work at his new house a few years ago.

Have you had tapir or capybara?
Do people eat those down there?
Caiman?
Anaconda?
All great grilling subjects I'm sure.

So... my ribs were hard... nice but hard.
I used baby back ribs and did the 321, a bit less on the smoking side like 2,5 1,5 and 1.
I just had apple juice in the water pan and only sprayed the ribs when i foiled them up.
Used 235f.

Any tips??

I used baby back ribs and did the 321, a bit less on the smoking side like 2,5 1,5 and 1.
I just had apple juice in the water pan and only sprayed the ribs when i foiled them up.
Used 235f.

Any tips??
I don’t smoke ribs. I bake them at about 275f covered with foil until they’re tender, then I mark them on a hot grill and brush them with BBQ sauce. Perfect every time. You may want to smoke yours lower and slower.

@Dav4 I do miss the gravy, but after a 12 hour brine, a little injection and smoking for 9 hours. It does hit the spot.
@barrosinc Baby back ribs are what I do the most. I cook at 325F. I cook bone side down for the first hour, then I wrap in foil meat side down in a bed of margarine and brown sugar. I let them go for another 2.5 hours. Unwrap and apply a glaze of a homemade vinegar based sauce and peach jelly.

Thanks to 'YOU GUYS'... I now have to smoke a ham, at the last minute, for tomorrow! Luckily, there were still some decent looking hams at the store. The Mrs. thinks I'm nuts for deciding to do this so late in the game, but "what the heck?" I blamed it on you folks! She cut her eyes, I shrugged my shoulders... then I started rubbing it down for an over-night stay in the fridge. She doesn't really mind. My ham will be out in the smoker and out of her way while she's occupying the kitchen. My only interruption will be a few minutes on the stove to make my cherry glaze...

Used 235f.

Any tips??
I smoke mine for 3 hours or so at 225, wrap in foil and let them go another hour. But I use St. Louis cut spare ribs, they're fatter than baby backs. But pork fat is good.

I smoked a turkey (and a half, ...if a turkey breast counts as half) this weekend. Also made gravy. Just put a pan below it to catch the drippings.

Used 235f.

Any tips??
Baby back ribs don’t require the long periods of cooking that other ribs do. I generally grill them over a low direct heat for an hour or so until tender flipping occasionally. If you are not sure if they are done, cut a piece off and taste it. I don’t recommend using apple juice in the water pan. If it goes dry it will burn and the burnt sugar smoke will stick to your meat, not tasty. Also, apple juice doesn’t have enough volatile flavonoids in it to do anything in this application. One spray or brush stroke to the meat would do more.

Back
Top Bottom