Juniper talked and I listened

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi All,
Some of you are familiar with the Shohin Juniper I have posted over the last few years. It has been a constant problem for the last 2 1/2 years. The tree refuses to keep the bottom right half of the tree healthy. Last year, I did a repot and rewiring to maintain the design. It really didn't help. Now, with shedding season here, which part does the tree decide to shed, yup, the weaker part. Anyway, I studied the tree to assess for a restyle. It seemed that rotating the tree counter clockwise and tilting the tree about 45 degrees to the left, might have some possibilities. Along with some major branch removal. I removed both main branches on the right side and the main branch on the left. I really thought about it before removing the 3 main branches from the tree. So, with the vision I was hoping to bring out, I began wiring. After it was all done I think that I may have an even better bonsai than the original design that I tried so hard to preserve. This new design exposes all the jin, shari and movement of the trunk. Also, the base of the trunk has some nice movement meandering upwards. That is not a shari, it is water stain that I will remove in the future.

I may tweek some things and re-evalute the small jins. For now, I'll just let it rest. My only concern is if the tree decides, down the road, that it does not like these bottom branches. Then that will be a new challenge all over again.;) Here is the result. Before and the afters.

Rob

Before

After

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
God you're good. Everything you touch just sings. And I don't even like junis. But this is one powerful little tree now. Love that new angle, that really floats my boat.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still looks good!

If you're ever in the Rochester area, please stop by and help my junipers :)

Chris

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's much better.

What would you say about trimming back the lower left branch? Lose a bit of symmetry?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think you spoke to the tree. Obviously it liked what you said. Just a lovely job!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Judy.:D

Hi Chris.. Junipers have a mind of theitr own.:D You and I are both dealing with junipers losing branches. Actually, everyone is because thats just what they do for seemingly no reason. Since there is no choice, it is better to cooperate with them. Try to have a back up plan in mind. Also, when styling, maybe leave more than what you need just in case.

I think it's much better.

What would you say about trimming back the lower left branch? Lose a bit of symmetry?

Great observation and I agree. It is very symmetrical. Since the pic, I tweeked the botton right branch down a little more to off set it a little bit. There are many subtle issues to consider. I can't pull the right branch bottom pad down too much more because the foliage will not have the upward swoop. Also, removing that left branch would mean that 4 main branches were removed. Also, I am not sure there is an adequate replacement. I will definitely assess this in the future. This symmetry issue was the only thing that I was a bit unsatisfied with after the styling. I'll let the tree rest for now. Maybe next year when the tree is repotted, I will see what can be done.:D

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I do like the new design Rob, great base now. However, I'm not too keen on the straightness of the upper trunk. Perhaps less pot angle would make the upper trunk off axis?
Nicely done either way to to address a problematic issue.
Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice symetrical tree.

My preference for this would to have no foliage on the right side. The canopy needs to center over that deadwood on the left.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do like the new design Rob, great base now. However, I'm not too keen on the straightness of the upper trunk. Perhaps less pot angle would make the upper trunk off axis?
Nicely done either way to to address a problematic issue.
Chris

Thanks fore. It might look straighter in some pics. The angle is new. However, turnign jsut slightly makes a difference. Before the repot next year, I will look for the best angle where hopefully al lthe attributes can be emphasized.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice symetrical tree.

My preference for this would to have no foliage on the right side. The canopy needs to center over that deadwood on the left.

What a coincidence. My first plan was to remove almost all the foliage on the right side and just have cascading pads on the left side of the tree. However, when I started, I thought that the right side was salvageable, so I kept it. However, I might change my mind. I think it was better to leave the option open. Who knows what this tree is planning for the future.;)

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great artists know what is right......:p

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you repot where will the soil line be? Would you cover up the bottom of the deadwood? I am the odd man out here. I prefer the before rather than the after. Not that it's bad. Still a good tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Chris.. Junipers have a mind of theitr own.:D You and I are both dealing with junipers losing branches. Actually, everyone is because thats just what they do for seemingly no reason. Since there is no choice, it is better to cooperate with them. Try to have a back up plan in mind. Also, when styling, maybe leave more than what you need just in case.

Yes, this is becoming clear both from my own trees and from what I see here. It's comforting in a way to see others with a lot more experience dealing with the same issues.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks you very much Smoke, sorce and John R.

Hi Kennedy. I think the soil line will be right above where it is now. So some of that meandering nebari might be hidden. Also, yes, the old front was nice. This came down to a matter of no other choice but a restyle. We sometimes have to work with the direction that the tree is moving towards.:D

Hi Chris, yes, chances are these will be on going problems as long as one keeps junipers. Especially in the Northeast.

Thank you for all the comments. After some tweaking and the symmetry issue bothering me, I tweaked the angle. Just a slightly different angle and we have a less symmetrical image. Of course, next year before the repot, I will have a definitive postion for the tree. Here is a couple of night pics with flash.

Rob

Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Very nice as usual!
You might consider also (just consider and think about it) Going in the opposite direction as well. (reducing the left side.)
Just an idea...but I am not really sure if it is the best one...Just try some virtuals.
As Kimurs used to say there is always another way...and a better way...now dont forget I am not Kimura...he he he!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice as usual!
You might consider also (just consider and think about it) Going in the opposite direction as well. (reducing the left side.)
Just an idea...but I am not really sure if it is the best one...Just try some virtuals.
As Kimurs used to say there is always another way...and a better way...now dont forget I am not Kimura...he he he!

Thanks Neli. The recuring thought I have is what if this tree decides to start killing off branches again. As I mentioned to Smoke, I originally considered removing the whole right side as he suggested. Also, your suggestion of reducing the left side might work. However, what if the right side is removed and the left side begins to die or vise versa. At that point it might not be slavageable. If it is, it will be a very long time.

Rob

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I understand...I get the same problem occasionally with junipers...and managed to kill few. He he he!
It is a nice tree anyway...even just as it is.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update on this tree. It was repotted with the new intended angle. I am still not really happy with the overall health. Any styling work on the tree will be put on hold until or if it regains much of it's health.

Rob

Top Bottom