Juniper bonsai foliage has developed white tips.

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I noticed that one of my more recent junipers has developed strange white tips on a lot of the folliage. I've never experienced this with any of the junipers I've had for a while. Does anyone have experience with this and/ or know what the cause is?

Attachments

• 20210329_174147.jpg
    20210329_174147.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210329_174006.jpg
    20210329_174006.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 91
Those are either 'flowers' or 'seed pod' starts. Perfectly normal and fine in the Spring.

Or pollen cones, yes. There are some huge old Chinese junipers in my yard that produce both those little pale pronged growths, and later on seed pods, so I assumed one led to the other.

Interesting. It almost looked to me like those tips might have been bitten off. The seem shorter and less bulbous than the others that are starting to produce new growth. That said, they do look like little flowers.

Yep my little shimpaku has these too since late January I'd say - at first I thought it was bad news but appear to be tiny jewel-like flowers and no adverse behaviour anywhere else on the plant - think we're OK... for now! Took a while to find reassurance on the net though. Doubt there are any females within 1km radius for mine, poor guy :)

Back
Top Bottom