Jim Smith ficus

Loved following this thread.
Thank you
I have very much enjoyed watching it’s progress.
I believe my intended goal with this one is to let the canopy continue to expand and try to build some ramification in there.
I believe that is what the tree wants to do so I am going to do what it wants. 😁

View attachment 248867View attachment 248868View attachment 248869Since I am having a bit of trouble with one trunk I was advised to place it in a bigger pot.
Repot has been done.
I love this color but I would have preferred a green like the original.
This will work for now.
I did defoliate around the weakened trunk area and trim back the top a little after these photos.
The goal is to get some sunlight in to the interior on the weakened area.

I would plant it in a bigger nursery plastic pot until next summer or so if you really want to gain vigor. Tommy

Update- new pictures always help me see what my eyes may miss. Overall health of the tree(s) is good. Has a bit of a lopsided growth right now and looks like an overgrown shrub not a forest but in order to thicken up new branches they have been allowed to run. Soon - meaning next spring- I will defoliate and try to wire the youngsters.
Overall goal is to go ahead and add some height to the fatest trunk and grow the forest to the size of this pot.
It is a thirsty bunch since bringing it back inside. Indoor watering can be tricky. It will be 34 degrees the next 2 nights.
I did notice that I have some aerial roots this year. Not just on this one but on others too.
I think I have finally learned to let the trees and roots grow- then there is something left to work on.
Here’s the pics for @swatchpost since there is another Jim Smith ficus here. Pics weren’t asked for but provided willingly. LolADEA6BDE-0EA2-439D-9527-83E67DEA3BB0.jpeg748893D5-B8E3-473C-BD7B-3571FD8C1B78.jpegD4E1F5D6-782A-4493-88B5-965B653CCA3F.jpegDF5C5FAD-4D95-4C92-A117-B5853C267048.jpeg4EDA3F8A-AFCB-471E-9115-D88B692204FC.jpeg

I have real enjoyed seeing what you have done with the tree and pot. Great to see the vigor you got into it.
Well done.
Excited to see what shallow delight you find for the pot.

Just a thought. Have you thought of a free form shallow pot to accentuate that gnarly root base.

I like it more if it is not looking perfectly rounded. Is there such term as too perfect. I don't think a larger pot will necessarily make the group look better. As Boon was saying... big pot makes the trunk look small and vice-versa. I like the way it look now but who am.

I like it more if it is not looking perfectly rounded. Is there such term as too perfect. I don't think a larger pot will necessarily make the group look better. As Boon was saying... big pot makes the trunk look small and vice-versa. I like the way it look now but who am.
I appreciate that feedback.
I want to increase my skills. I would love to know how to get it to the next level even if I don’t keep it in that state forever.
I do see some steps that I can take and that I can do- so I will focus on those.

I appreciate that feedback.
I want to increase my skills. I would love to know how to get it to the next level even if I don’t keep it in that state forever.
I do see some steps that I can take and that I can do- so I will focus on those.
I was looking at the post on mobile phone when I made the comment. Now that I look at the images on the real monitor. Loved the pot and trees combo you got there. You were able to keep the group super healthy. I give you a ten the way it is. Am sorry but the picture you post as an inspiration is a 5 for me.

There was a time when I felt as you do, that the over manicured look was too much for me.
I did not appreciate it.
I do not have the skills to create a finished tree.
If I display one that looks finished then I probably bought it that way or it was luck or the planets alignments made it possible on that day. Lol.
I would absolutely love to move my tree closer to the pictures I posted. I do understand that this vision is not admired by everyone.
It is ok to love a more natural and rugged look also. I will give this tree my best! 😁

I was looking at the post on mobile phone when I made the comment. Now that I look at the images on the real monitor. Loved the pot and trees combo you got there. You were able to keep the group super healthy. I give you a ten the way it is. Am sorry but the picture you post as an inspiration is a 5 for me.

I did get a pot this morning 😂❤️😁🪴
You will have to wait months to see it!!!
Lol

It does look better on a computer screen. Sweet!!!

F05D4927-35B2-4933-B027-FEB915B2414C.jpegFD9FEDA4-522F-4CE0-965F-5C65C8F7C586.jpeg1BC7DED6-762A-4048-B77D-EC7232C1EA59.jpeg0217FF3F-A1E6-464D-A468-049B24242272.jpegE181E0D6-C4E9-4AEF-AEE8-C81F2A37219A.jpeg
dang this tree is ugly when it’s naked.
I still have more work to do but it will have to wait for another day. I’m losing daylight here.

Tokoname Yamaaki pot that I got from Superfly Bonsai. Large pots are hard to find.
I got this one too from wigert’s. Not sure what I will do with it now. CEC51017-5D30-4F74-B225-366594D462EB.jpegE474F313-0F84-43B8-BDBD-7EA2C430C3C9.jpegCD003580-6EB9-4DB6-BCBC-7BF5BA0666DB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom