JBP trunk chop timing.....conflicting info when researching

See @Adair M, you're nothing but a "SELF PROCLAIMED internet bonsai master"... quit "reguritating the same obvious and self evident" stuff... you hack!! :p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I don’t think I’m “self proclaimed”...

There are a limited number of species I’m pretty good at...

So, who did he want to reply? Internet bonsai novices? He got that, for sure!

For someone who “doesn’t get out much”, I’ve become rather famous, “in real life”! Lol!!! Last weekend at the koi show, there were vendors from all over the country. Selling koi. Wouldn’t you know many of them dabble in bonsai, as well. I was wearing my Atlanta Bonsai Society name tag, and several introduced themselves to me. One guy from Michigan (knows both Vance Wood and Vance Hanna), Ray, and I had a nice chat. I had styled a tree his buddy had brought from the club sales table.

The weekend before, I was at a bonsai show in San Andreas, CA, and someone came up and introduced themself to me because they knew of me from this forum.

But, I’m afraid that @headive24 has an attitude that pisses me off. I don’t put anyone on ignore, but I can choose to ignore them.

Sorry that my trees don't fit into your master race of short with thick trunks. Please dont force them into the ghettos or worse....
Oh wow. Thank you for considering me a master. I really am not. But please feel.free to contact me if you want to learn the basics od bonsai.

I don’t think I’m “self proclaimed”...

There are a limited number of species I’m pretty good at...

So, who did he want to reply? Internet bonsai novices? He got that, for sure!

For someone who “doesn’t get out much”, I’ve become rather famous, “in real life”! Lol!!! Last weekend at the koi show, there were vendors from all over the country. Selling koi. Wouldn’t you know many of them dabble in bonsai, as well. I was wearing my Atlanta Bonsai Society name tag, and several introduced themselves to me. One guy from Michigan (knows both Vance Wood and Vance Hanna), Ray, and I had a nice chat. I had styled a tree his buddy had brought from the club sales table.

The weekend before, I was at a bonsai show in San Andreas, CA, and someone came up and introduced themself to me because they knew of me from this forum.

But, I’m afraid that @headive24 has an attitude that pisses me off. I don’t put anyone on ignore, but I can choose to ignore them.

man6.gif

….relax Sifu…. 👍

Hey all. I have two JBP that I bought at a local nursery. On the bigger one, I already removed everything above a certain point, because a side "branch" had develeoped into almost a second trunk, with many branches on it. So i chopped the leader, and this side "branch" or branches have developed into the new leader. This was done sometime in mid spring, and the tree showed no noticeable bad reaction. Now, my plan is to once again make a side branch as the new leader in order to reduce height, make a better scaled tree with taper, and because the top just looks funny. In one post on this website, i read that someone suggested to another person that they do their chop then (mid-summer) or wait until autumnal equinox . Others have said right before spring growth. And on the greater google searches ive read other conflicting info. If the Autumnal equinox is a good time, that would be ideal, becasue its in a few weeks. I've been holding off on wiring it, and been letting it gain strength. In my opinion it is a very healthy tree. I'm including pics. The red lines are planned cut locations. Yellow outlines follow new trunk line. on one the blue-green lines are branches i would possibly use later.

There are also some pics of the smaller tree. On this one, my plan is eventually to cut it back to the bottom 3 branches, using the one in the back as a new leader. Should i do this all in one, or should i do it in stages. I have included a pic of the first chop im thinking of if i do it in stages too.

But first, I would like someone to tell me if the autumnal equinox is a good time, or not.

Also, i know the nebari needs work, and the soil looks suspect on the bigger one. That is just on top of the soil. Please don't comment telling me not to worry about chopping and to change the soil first or work the nebari. Not everyone does things the same way. I value your opinions, but ive already thought this through and its what i want to do. So again, please dont comment telling me "before you do that you need to do this this and this." If you have a better design idea than me, id love to hear it. Or if you think it will kill the tree to do what i want to do, please tell. Just no lectures about nebari or soil; i have plans for those.

Thank to anyone wit helpful info to follow

I wouldn't bother chopping this yet. You should develop the nebari first. If you want better ramification the soil it is currently in should probably get changed while you are at it.

I wouldn't bother chopping this yet. You should develop the nebari first. If you want better ramification the soil it is currently in should probably get changed while you are at it.
OP has been gone from this site for 1.5-2 years now, so probably won’t get a response sorry.
Charles

Back
Top Bottom