JBP trunk chop timing.....conflicting info when researching

Breath in between posting. Then read again that you specifically invited people with other design ideas to respond. Which I did.

Get over yourself mate. Wouldnt want you to get a heardattack over a simple question.

I do agree it is fun to this thread go overboard on your own responses thoigh

The conflicting information comes from this ......

A guy has a healthy tree and cuts it and it responds well. Good Time. (Any day of year)

A guy has an unhealthy tree and cuts it and it dies. Bad Time. (Also Any day of year)

You know why that happens?

Instead of listening to important shit, people think it is a ...ahem...demand from the gatekeeper of Information.....

The ......get the tree healthy part.

I wasn't gonna respond either.
I didn't, and was reminded why upon return.

Ok @leatherback ...😅🤪🤔
Now I really understand why that thread!

Sorce

Take the time to sort through the response from Gary Wood. The technique and timing is dependant on the response you desire. Staging is a valuable technique in itself rather than all at one go! Gives you the opportunity for multiple responses and retains a higher level of health for thetree during the process!

What you need is lizard entrails and.................

Okay....I see you're in Bakersfield. I'm in the Sacramento area and our weather is so fucked up this year that I don't know if ...anything... can be "figured out."
The endless winter skipped spring and went straight to "oven."
I'm doing stuff based on the vigor of the tree now.

It looks like we're going to get a long warm fall.

Hell who knows?

What you need is lizard entrails and.................

Okay....I see you're in Bakersfield. I'm in the Sacramento area and our weather is so fucked up this year that I don't know if ...anything... can be "figured out."
The endless winter skipped spring and went straight to "oven."
I'm doing stuff based on the vigor of the tree now.

It looks like we're going to get a long warm fall.

Hell who knows?
And I swear this September feels hotter than July was— woof woof. My guess is we have another month or month and a half of this.

I’m hoping we make it to winter without any huge wildfires. Last year it felt like living in hell, with all the ash in the air and the black and red skies.

Sorry for thread hijacking @headive24

You said you live in so cal right? Are you in Bakersfield or am I thinking of another member?

Yea our weather is so fucked. We dont get a spring here at all. We go straight from winter in to summer.

As long as the tree is healthy and strong, you can chop anytime. If you have a weak tree, don’t chop.

I believe Sorce posted the same thing.

I’ve chopped in the fall. The tree lived.

I’ve chopped in the spring. The tree lived.

Both trees were strong.

And now for the unwanted advice... Don’t complain about this forum while also seeking advice from it. I read your original post, and decided not to reply because of your attitude.

I also decided to come back and give you a reply because I also wanted to express that while you were wanting a specific time to chop, the problem is you are asking the wrong question. Which should be “Should I chop these trees?”

And the answer to THAT question is: “It depends!”

It's funny how all the know it all said they weren't going to respond. Its fine to lie on here but dont lie to yourselves. Go interact in the real world once in a while. :"I wasnt going to respond because u said not to be a time wasting know it all boo hoo hoo" u guys all did reply and reminded me why i keep my interactions to the real world and away from u who only come out of ur caves during full moons. Give me a break

Sorry for thread hijacking @headive24

You said you live in so cal right? Are you in Bakersfield or am I thinking of another member?
Yes I'm in lovely Bakersfield. This year did seem especially so, but here we are used to having 2 seasons. And the summer seems like it's never going to end and then one morning you wake up and switch from ac to heater. My brother and his wife live in Sacramento and they've brought me some cool little trees from up there but I can't remember the name. Here the nurseries are very limited on species, but I recently got permission to collect from someone who owns land that has places full of blue oak, ca juniper, and ponderosas.

As long as the tree is healthy and strong, you can chop anytime. If you have a weak tree, don’t chop.

I believe Sorce posted the same thing.

I’ve chopped in the fall. The tree lived.

I’ve chopped in the spring. The tree lived.

Both trees were strong.

And now for the unwanted advice... Don’t complain about this forum while also seeking advice from it. I read your original post, and decided not to reply because of your attitude.

I also decided to come back and give you a reply because I also wanted to express that while you were wanting a specific time to chop, the problem is you are asking the wrong question. Which should be “Should I chop these trees?”

And the answer to THAT question is: “It depends!”
No I knew better than to ask that. If I wanted to get every SELF PROCLAIMED internet bonsai master's opinion I would ask that question, but .....well I got them anyway.

No but seriously some of you guys did give some helpful information. Some regurgitated the same obvious and self evident "it depends on what u want to accomplish"

And btw the trees were chopped a few days after the first couple of real replies and they're both doing good. My reason for asking was because I have this one older book that says to never top a pine. It didn't explain why or what they meant by top exactly but I wanted to double.check that this wouldn't kill the tree

But they're both doing well so i can continue on with my plans for them.

I usually learn more by doing anyway, but I didn't want to risk killing these because I can't easily find jbp.

It's funny how all the know it all said they weren't going to respond. Its fine to lie on here but dont lie to yourselves. Go interact in the real world once in a while. :"I wasnt going to respond because u said not to be a time wasting know it all boo hoo hoo" u guys all did reply and reminded me why i keep my interactions to the real world and away from u who only come out of ur caves during full moons. Give me a break
Ummmm... huh?

I think we can all agree here that YOU should continue to "interact in the real world" and leave interacting on an internet forum like this one to those wearing big boy and big girl pants... my 0.02.

I think both your designs aim at way to tall trees. These trunks are fairly thin making the ideal trees.much shorter then what you drew there.

So options are to cut back further. Or let it grow for a few years, which would give you also time to work the roots.
Sorry that my trees don't fit into your master race of short with thick trunks. Please dont force them into the ghettos or worse....

Ummmm... huh?

I think we can all agree here that YOU should continue to "interact in the real world" and leave interacting on an internet forum like this one to those wearing big boy and big girl pants... my 0.02.
Yes I agree. I will leave it those who smell like b.o. and haven't seen the sun in months. Those who talk about some internet rating? Or whatever ur talking about

No I knew better than to ask that. If I wanted to get every SELF PROCLAIMED internet bonsai master's opinion I would ask that question, but .....well I got them anyway.

No but seriously some of you guys did give some helpful information. Some regurgitated the same obvious and self evident "it depends on what u want to accomplish"

And btw the trees were chopped a few days after the first couple of real replies and they're both doing good. My reason for asking was because I have this one older book that says to never top a pine. It didn't explain why or what they meant by top exactly but I wanted to double.check that this wouldn't kill the tree

But they're both doing well so i can continue on with my plans for them.

I usually learn more by doing anyway, but I didn't want to risk killing these because I can't easily find jbp.
See @Adair M, you're nothing but a "SELF PROCLAIMED internet bonsai master"... quit "reguritating the same obvious and self evident" stuff... you hack!! :p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes I agree. I will leave it those who smell like b.o. and haven't seen the sun in months. Those who talk about some internet rating? Or whatever ur talking about
Oh jeez, you must be blowing off school or something, right? I get it and from what I can tell, school is probably not your thing. By the way, you nailed it with the b.o. comment... today is my day off from my big boy job and I've been working outside in my yard all day, preparing to have some pretty large trees taken down on Monday... It's pushing 95 F in the shade and I totally stink! Thing is, I'll take a shower tonight and I won't smell any more... you, on the other hand... well...
Pics to show the yard and trees coming down next week and to refute the statement that I haven't seen the sun in months... squint real hard and it's in one of the pics:)
IMG_3368.jpgIMG_3369.jpgIMG_3370.jpgIMG_3371.jpg

Back
Top Bottom