Japanese Maples possibly dead? (I hope not)

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
Last winter, I bought these two japanese maples from a not-so-local nursery. They were both dormant, but had a few live leaves still attached to them. I'm currently very concerned because they show no signs of coming out of dormancy. Meanwhile, the JM's in my front yard are happily leaving. Most of the buds have this dead, brown look about them; however, there are a few live-looking ones strewn sparsely throughout the branches. I scraped off a bit of bark to reveal a live, green cambium layer. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this in regards to JM's and if they could possibly be saved.
20180416_183409.jpg20180416_183527.jpg20180416_183538.jpg20180416_183720.jpg

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
Where did you purchase them? Different climate = different responses, slower/faster awakening in the spring, etc
When I say not-so-local, I just meant no more than a couple hours South of where I am.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On the close ups, your buds look alive, reddish, sort of swelling.
I would give them some more time.
I have a variety of maples, the Kotohime have leaves starting, the others have swollen buds,
and others look like nothing happening but they are alive. It's still to early to give up on them.

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I'll do my best to stop being so impatient.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Here, most maples are nearly fully leafed out, but some are yet to grow. A key part of bonsai is waiting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could always give the old ‘scratch’ test. Scratch a little bark off a branch. If it’s green underneath all’s well. If not keep scratching and hope you find green on other branches.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm also in Va and I have multiple Japanese maples and they are all leafing out at different times, and being in containers also plays a significant role. Also tip die back is normal on these.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It looks as though some of the terminal buds and the wood just below them may be dead, to me. I guess those are the brown ones you mentioned. The reddish buds look ok but it’s hard to tell about the wood around them -it’s hard enough in person and a photo is harder. The twigs and branches should look round and taut and full. If there are ridges or angles it’s a problem. With the scratch test the cambium should be green and moist. Green but dryish is also a problem. Again hard to tell from a photo. It does seem they should be showing signs of breaking dormancy by now. Regardless there is nothing to do but wait.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pick up a copy of my new book " Brown trunk, or.. how do I know my tree is dead!"

At Amazon

Is that the followup to your best seller "How To Make Your Compost Pile "Grow" By Disposing Of Your Still Dormant Bonsai"

Only options for tree, keep and wait or throw away. Best just wait awhile longer.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that the followup to your best seller "How To Make Your Compost Pile "Grow" By Disposing Of Your Still Dormant Bonsai"

Only options for tree, keep and wait or throw away. Best just wait awhile longer.
DUDE... don’t be letting the cat out of the bag... books is such a cutthroat business

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I always heard/read it is best for one to wait until July 4 before giving up on plants one is waiting on to come out of dormancy.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm an hour north of you. I have 5 maples, and all but a kashima that had a very tough fall and winter, have begun to leaf out. The kashima is struggling to push buds but it has several on it that are beginning to open.
As others have said, too soon to give up. Wait and see.

This is a kotohime.
IMG_2858.JPG

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I always heard/read it is best for one to wait until July 4 before giving up on plants one is waiting on to come out of dormancy.
That sounds like a good time. Celebrating July 4th with a beer and the disposal of a tree.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Didn't know trees like beer.... I think you'd give it one last drink.

Top Bottom