AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a couple questions for you:
  • Length -- typical 2/3 node cutting?
  • Hormones -- do you use hormones?
  • Substrate -- what kind of substrate/soil do you use?
  • Humidity -- do you cover the cuttings or with the wetter/colder weather this time of year is that not necessary?
  • Anything else you do differently compare to sping/summer cuttings?

Hi eplov90, sorry for this late answer.

• Length -- typical 2/3 node cutting?
  • ---> Yes, more like 3/4 though.
  • Hormones -- do you use hormones? Yes, most of the time. "Chysotop vert", or organic.
  • ---> Very draining, I like 75% aquarium sand 2-3 mm and 25% composted pine bark but fine gauge akadama, or any other medium that can retain moisture but not soaked is suitable actually.
  • Humidity -- do you cover the cuttings or with the wetter/colder weather this time of year is that not necessary?
  • ---> I read again the post you're mentioning. I wrote "cuttings made in autumn, after leaf fall, have a fair chance to succed." I think I was over-optimistic, replace "fair" with 'some", which is more "aléatoire" (that means the odds are hardly predictable)
  • Anything else you do differently compare to sping/summer cuttings?
  • ---> Summer cuttings (early June to late July) : about 90% success, providing the temps don't go over 30°C and the athmosphere stays humid - shouldn't be a problem in London ;^)
  • ---> Spring cuttings (before, or just before budbreak) between 10 and 20% : probaly not the best time, but if you prune trees, why not try, what do you have to lose ? Last February I took about eight cuttings of 'Sango kaku' when I pruned it, put them in a small plastic pot with supermarket potting soil, and two of them rooted.
PS : Thank you for your input, Trevor Larsen, it's always a pleasure to see enthusiasts succeed in reproducing maples, or trees, and that is very useful for those who live around.

But in London, the climate is different, and it's not the same as here, in Orléans.
I guess it's not as dry and hot as it can be in Salt Lake City in summer, though it's coming closer...

Top Bottom