Japanese maple - Advice - Deshojo

Jbril

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,

I just purchase a Japanese deshojo maple. I am looking to airlayer it, so that I can start growing into a bonsai down the road, but I am unsure what to do b/c this maple was grown tall. Right now it sits around 6’ and is very straight.

I don’t know if I should wait till it grows more, cut back some branches to promote more specific growth lower down the tree, or just do nothing for the time being. On the other side at the very top of the tree there is a cluster of branches, my assumption this is where they took a cutting previously.

Lastly it was grafted at some point at the trunk.

Let me know your thoughts thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpeg
    IMG_6538.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi there,

I just purchase a Japanese deshojo maple. I am looking to airlayer it, so that I can start growing into a bonsai down the road, but I am unsure what to do b/c this maple was grown tall. Right now it sits around 6’ and is very straight.

I don’t know if I should wait till it grows more, cut back some branches to promote more specific growth lower down the tree, or just do nothing for the time being. On the other side at the very top of the tree there is a cluster of branches, my assumption this is where they took a cutting previously.

Lastly it was grafted at some point at the trunk.

Let me know your thoughts thank you
In order to advise you on timing, we need to know where in the world you are. Please update your profile with your location, nearest big city and state is fine. Location is important to give you the best advice. Also we don't want to have to repeatedly ask you

In order to advise you on timing, we need to know where in the world you are. Please update your profile with your location, nearest big city and state is fine. Location is important to give you the best advice. Also we don't want to have to repeatedly ask you
Sorry, totally forgot to save. Updated now. Port orchard WA, Zone 8

Washington typically has milder weather than some parts of the country.
The tree looks healthy so I think it would be safe to try an air layer now with plenty of time to form roots before fall. However, see my comment below.

You have a tall tree, so I'd try one in the upper 3rd of the tree just to be a little more cautious.

I know red varieties seem harder to air layer than many green varieties which is why I suggest trying higher up in the tree. I've never tried a deshojo myself though so hopefully someone with more knowledge that has tried it can chime in.

@Shibui
@River's Edge
Either of you can provide help?
Not sure who else to ask

Washington typically has milder weather than some parts of the country.
The tree looks healthy so I think it would be safe to try an air layer now with plenty of time to form roots before fall. However, see my comment below.

You have a tall tree, so I'd try one in the upper 3rd of the tree just to be a little more cautious.

I know red varieties seem harder to air layer than many green varieties which is why I suggest trying higher up in the tree. I've never tried a deshojo myself though so hopefully someone with more knowledge that has tried it can chime in.

@Shibui
@River's Edge
Either of you can provide help?
Not sure who else to ask
Hi,

Thank you for your comment. Ok cool cool. I actually just went outside and was marking about 2-3 branches all in the top 3rd with some room for dieback if that happens. I think I’ll try it at the end of the day on a few unless someone persuades me differently before then. Thank you for confirming part of my thoughts!

I was not asked to come. I do hope my input is however still allowed.

Deshojo layers really well. However ensure that you layer thick enough branches. Next to this, layer branches with interest. You can decide to develop the start of the bonsai on the main plant, and layer in a few years, allowing a thicker branch / trunk to develop first.

Before doing anything you need to make up your mind what size tree you are in the end after. That determines how thick the trunk needs to grow.

I was not asked to come. I do hope my input is however still allowed.

Of course. Please dont be offended I didnt @ you. As I said above, I wasnt sure who else I should ask because I dont recall what everyone's experience is with every species unfortunately.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you for coming and sharing. I’ve seen that video and partly what I used to choose. Thank you

I’ve seen that video and partly what I used to choose. Thank you
Glad to hear you liked it.

I think it would be important that you layer it off the graftsite. One option would be to make a layer fairly high on the main trunk, so you get deshojo buds to pop below the layer, getting you a second plant to grow out and later layer off, creating a mother-stockplant.

Glad to hear you liked it.

I think it would be important that you layer it off the graftsite. One option would be to make a layer fairly high on the main trunk, so you get deshojo buds to pop below the layer, getting you a second plant to grow out and later layer off, creating a mother-stockplant.
Thanks for the advice! Would you suggest leaving a bridge incase it’s unsuccessful or no? I watched a vid with Herons and he said when he is not sure he keeps a thin bridge.

Never leave a bridge. The tree will just be encouraged to overgrow the wound.

Example this zelkova, which I started layering, but which managed to bridge, and only created 2, 4 inch branches

1718741071835.png

Back
Top Bottom