Japanese maple [#01]

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Adair! Well it has been already submitted for consideration. I hope you're right but we'll see :) If it does get in, I have been toying with the idea of showing it leafless much like the beech from the Pacific Rim Collection at the Artisan's Cup. I am considering this very, very carefully mainly due to what could happen to this tree with such an early defoliation in September.
Hmmm, seems risky LOL. I don't think I would be brave enough to do that, especially since this last winter took so long to really kick off. Interesting idea to toy with though!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Adair! Well it has been already submitted for consideration. I hope you're right but we'll see :) If it does get in, I have been toying with the idea of showing it leafless much like the beech from the Pacific Rim Collection at the Artisan's Cup. I am considering this very, very carefully mainly due to what could happen to this tree with such an early defoliation in September.
Sergio, I'm repotting my JBP next week, and will submit it in its new show pot. Let's hope we both are there in Rochester!

As for defoliation...what does it normally look like in September that time of year? I'm with you that deciduous trees look great bare, and Jspanese Maple leaves can look a little beat up at the end of the summer, but I don't know...

At the Silohette Show last December, someone defoliated a ficus for the show. A bit too early! It was just beginning to bud back during the show! Fabulous tree, but I'm not sure it was appropriate.

Interesting idea, though... Would you try to keep it dormant until the following spring? Or let it bud back, and protect it so the new leaves would grow out? I don't know...

On Bill V's blog he talked about showing a Japanese maple he had defoliated early in the summer and the leaves were in perfect condition in September. Perfect for the Nationals, right? He said no, because he thought that by September, J. Maple leaves should be a little beat up, and having young leaves on the tree that late in the season looked wrong.

But then, there's this: at Kokufu, they greenhouse the junipers and pines so that they won't turn into winter color for the show.

So... ???

Food for thought, huh?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck Adair, but er... I think you are already in as per Bill ;) Congrats again! I hope to meet some new faces as well as more familiar ones in September.

In September it can still be quite warm in my area. Sometimes we might get cools spells but varies from year to year. My reasoning to show it bare is that this tree is rather compact. It shows as a green mass during the growing season. Will not leave much to appreciate the tree otherwise. Even if the exhibit was happening in autumn, it would be great to show off the beautiful colors and I would be fine with that. But as a green mass of leaves... not so sure even if is partially defoliated.

If I do defoliate it, the suggestion from some pros is to try and keep it dormant ie. keep it in the shade and as cool as possible until the next spring. I think a far better option than allowing it to leaf out and protecting it through the winter, which could completely debilitate the tree altogether and a nightmare for me. However, since I will ultimately have no control in keeping the tree from leafing out if it wanted to, there is a risk of dieback when winter sets in.

I agree with Bill's assessment in having fresh leaves for a September show. It would look wrong to me as well. However I must say, the opposite is "more ok" in my opinion.

Lots to think about! :oops:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's funny because in the pics with white background the pot is maybe too bright. But with the black background i like It. My only thought is maybe the pot doesn't appear aged enough And I wouldn't want the bright blue to distract? Thinking out loud. Was that your thought?
The shuho looks very nice. Look forward to seeing it in the pot if you go that route.
As always Sergio, a wonderful tree and work you have done. Always on another level.

Thanks Brian! I don't dislike the color of the current pot at all but something that looks more aged is always wonderful I think. The pot looks like is a hundred years old!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do me a favor and pat yourself on the back, good work. I too like the new pot as I think that its color will be less of a distraction from the tree itself. Many of us can only hope to have a tree like that someday. Again, good work!

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Great tree as always Sergio.

As far as the pot is concerned, I am a huge fan of yamafusa, but with that said that shuho will be outstanding.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Just saying, when I see blue bases with bonsai, they tend to make me cringe. In the world, blue tends to be sky and water and glacial ice. It adds a whole new color (what I tend to envision as stark contrast - but I know not if that's the correct artistic term) to you're bonsai, which, by the way is stunning. I've tried to check the accuracy my own perceptions regarding blue bases and find it is not a common color. It also seems when the base compliments the existing colors of a bonsai, the overall impression is greatly improved. I am interested in the reasoning behind why one uses blue in a display that doesn't need a water look.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just saying, when I see blue bases with bonsai, they tend to make me cringe. In the world, blue tends to be sky and water and glacial ice. It adds a whole new color (what I tend to envision as stark contrast - but I know not if that's the correct artistic term) to you're bonsai, which, by the way is stunning. I've tried to check the accuracy my own perceptions regarding blue bases and find it is not a common color. It also seems when the base compliments the existing colors of a bonsai, the overall impression is greatly improved. I am interested in the reasoning behind why one uses blue in a display that doesn't need a water look.

Thanks jomawa! Color is of course highly dependent on personal taste and even influenced by culture. The Japanese use sky blue pots quite a bit in combination with maples and fruiting trees. Not so much in other countries. I happen to love cream colored pots with maples just because they are light and neutral. But I also don't mind at all blue colored pots. As you said, blue represents water and/or sky. This idea I think goes well with the general mood a Japanese maple evokes. The blue helps keep the tree fresh and cool in the summer while complementing nicely the yellows, reds and oranges of autumn. Same with the fresh and bright coloration of spring growth. Perhaps, a little too colorful in winter but a good color for the rest of the year. But again, this is all in the eye of the beholder.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jomawa,

I like the blue with Mach's tree. It really sets off the fall and spring colors. What I can't stand is when I see the little Procumbens mallsai in the blue glazed pots! A friend of mine visited a bonsai shop in Paris, France. Every single tree was in a blue pot!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jomawa,

I like the blue with Mach's tree. It really sets off the fall and spring colors. What I can't stand is when I see the little Procumbens mallsai in the blue glazed pots! A friend of mine visited a bonsai shop in Paris, France. Every single tree was in a blue pot!

Amen....

The difference between blue that wants to make you do the electric slide....

And patina'd rustic blue that eases your soul with a bit of fall color thrown on the feet.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome !! If that pot does not work out and I must say that pot and tree combo will look fantastic I have a little pyracantha I could put in it as long as that pot is at least 18" from left to right and 12 from front to back HEHEHE... I think you will get in with that tree. Great tree as with the majority of your trees. A lot of time and investment has paid off on dividens.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes please I want to see the container tree combo in light! Exciting time of year...

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is Beautiful! I want it, but am at no level to care for it. o_O

Top Bottom