Japanese Black Pine - 1yr old, complete newbie mama

shawtymama

Seedling
Reaction score
GridArt_20230106_134306245.jpgI have a JBP grown from seed through stratification, 1 month in fridge. She saw daylight for the first time March 2022 so will be 1 next week. She grew on windowsill indoors until around Oct/Nov when she appeared to be dieing in tandem with the heating being used more frequently. I put her outside, she is partially under shelter. A shelf approx 4ft up the side of the house, below roofing overhang approx 4ft above the shelf. She is watered by the weather except during really dry periods, however, I only water when the soil is 'shrinking'. The soil has had periods over the winter in which the entire thing was a frozen block, though I'm aware she was 'hibernating' through those months. She will be 1 next month and I am wandering if she'll need repotting. She has 8 branch 'stubs' beginning, each with their own piney fingers. The soil has also developed its own moss which doesn't appear to be bothering her yet so I'm hoping that'll be able to stay with her. Any advice? I'm a complete newbie that loves all things nature and have grown more than iv probably cooked meals in my lifetime. Just don't want to harm her.

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_144416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220527_144416_HDR.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230106_131605_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230106_131605_HDR.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230106_131553_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230106_131553_HDR.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20221114_151326_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221114_151326_HDR.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 54
Remarkably healthy looking pine for a beginner. Well done so far.
Pine roots do not grow as fast as some other trees so she can probably stay in that pot for another year, maybe even 2 years. Need to check each season to see how tight the roots are getting to decide when to repot.
Contrary to popular belief, repotting and root pruning does not harm most trees. In my experience they usually grow better and faster following root pruning as there's fresh soil and more room for new roots.
You may not be aware but most bonsai are not grown in bonsai pots for their entire lives. Small pots with limited root space slows growth a lot so it can take many, many years to develop a bonsai that way.
The vast majority of us speed up trunk growth by planting trees in large containers or in the garden for a few years to get quicker development then chop the trees back to start creating bonsai when the trunk has thickened.

Remarkably healthy looking pine for a beginner. Well done so far.
Pine roots do not grow as fast as some other trees so she can probably stay in that pot for another year, maybe even 2 years. Need to check each season to see how tight the roots are getting to decide when to repot.
Contrary to popular belief, repotting and root pruning does not harm most trees. In my experience they usually grow better and faster following root pruning as there's fresh soil and more room for new roots.
You may not be aware but most bonsai are not grown in bonsai pots for their entire lives. Small pots with limited root space slows growth a lot so it can take many, many years to develop a bonsai that way.
The vast majority of us speed up trunk growth by planting trees in large containers or in the garden for a few years to get quicker development then chop the trees back to start creating bonsai when the trunk has thickened.
IMG_20230222_142831_HDR.jpg
This is her rootball as of just a moment ago. She came out as one piece, minus a tiny amount of soil 'crumb' from around the edges. I try to keep soil moist but not 'wet'.
Thank you

Oh dear! Just a completely embarrassing update here! Shows my immature level of knowledge and my terrible memory.
Have just found the seed packet for my baby and she is Pinus halepensis! Also known as JERUSALEM pine. I had the 'J' and the 'pine' correct at least!

Cool!

Listen to the experienced conifer folks around here, they rock...

Welcome to the TinyForest... The Woody Dwarves (Pa-Is) are looking forward to your contributions here, and are preparing the goblets of Ayahuasca for your the entry procession.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Are you a UK transplant?...

Just, your name.... Do people really talk like that in the UK?

I'm honestly curious as sociology and linguistics/languages/dialects are particular fields of immense, personal fascination.

🤓

One piece of advice would be to put movement into the trunk now with wire, since it will become much harder to do so in the future as this pine thickens up. You can wire a pine this time of year. Branches can be wired later. I agree with @Shibui , this is looking great. You already have a bunch of branch buds!

The name is thanks to my son when he was younger, at the learning to spell age. It just kind of stuck, as for the language...
The pleasure is all mine as in this instance, you are fortunate enough to be corresponding with a person of which English is my first language. My family are of working class, though my grandfather's business ensured we all lived comfortably.
But that ant how I wanted 2 live bk then. In my teens I just rebelled against every1 coz I thort I new better. Met loadsa peeps, thort life was cool havin my own yard, I was so wrong.
In my early 20s I had 3 kids, my own gaff, a whip. It was savage! Parties every weekend n dat. I woz larfin, livin it large wiv ma bros n hoes.
Then I lost all, everything of it. My home and my working, my children even. I very sad for very long time. All was gone. Everything. All mine thing. Gone.
So, like, I totally decided to turn my life around. This gorgeous little bonsai was planted when I finally started getting life right again. So, like, her growth promotes my motivation and courage. We are kind of like, growing together, do you know what I mean?

Those are just a few of the many forms of English, that I have heard and I've only left Kent as an adult twice! Never been in London more than an hour and never been out of a car anywhere else other than holiday parks as a child! English is so varied yet most have no idea of the words they use, let alone the words they make up these days 🤷🏻‍♀️

One piece of advice would be to put movement into the trunk now with wire, since it will become much harder to do so in the future as this pine thickens up. You can wire a pine this time of year. Branches can be wired later. I agree with @Shibui , this is looking great. You already have a bunch of branch buds!
Are there any links or books etc you can suggest for wiring? I've searched and searched but can't find anything giving much help on baby bonsai like mine.
Thank you

Here is a decent video of what you're looking today. Basically just get some sort of curves in the trunk of the plant before it starts to thicken and get to rigid to bend. Most of the time a tree with some sort of curves in the trunk is more interesting than something that is stick straight. Welcome and good luck!

Here is a decent video of what you're looking today. Basically just get some sort of curves in the trunk of the plant before it starts to thicken and get to rigid to bend. Most of the time a tree with some sort of curves in the trunk is more interesting than something that is stick straight. Welcome and good luck!

Ah thank you! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks to the technology we have these days YouTube now also shows me 'related' and my Google search results will now show similar. Thank you 👍🏻😁

It probably will not matter which species this is for the first few years as most pines are similar while growing but I seem to remember that halapensis is a single flush pine so later you'll need to treat it similar to Scots pine instead of following Japanese black pine which is multi- flush growth habit. Just check that I have halapensis in the correct single flush group as I haven't grown these for many years and could be wrong here.

It probably will not matter which species this is for the first few years as most pines are similar while growing but I seem to remember that halapensis is a single flush pine so later you'll need to treat it similar to Scots pine instead of following Japanese black pine which is multi- flush growth habit. Just check that I have halapensis in the correct single flush group as I haven't grown these for many years and could be wrong here.
Just had a look and you are correct. The halapensis is single flush. I am now learning 'flush' in bonsai is not the same as 'flush' for food produce.. at all! 🤦🏻‍♀️
Do you have any book titles that would help? I love to read. Difficulty is irrelevant, though I would prefer adult books rather than children's. I find reading from multiple sources and then use that in my own ways as I go.

Hoping someone else can suggest some literature on pines as I don't know any that I trust enough to recommend. Most info on pines I've read is online, including this site.

One advice: halapensis is desert type pine. Does not like wet feet and subject to root rot. As one year old should be fine to repot current Spring and suggest largely inorganic well draining substrate such as pumice. Great work so far and compliments on wise choice of lifestyle change with best of fortune🤗.

Cool!

Listen to the experienced conifer folks around here, they rock...

Welcome to the TinyForest... The Woody Dwarves (Pa-Is) are looking forward to your contributions here, and are preparing the goblets of Ayahuasca for your the entry procession.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Are you a UK transplant?...

Just, your name.... Do people really talk like that in the UK?

I'm honestly curious as sociology and linguistics/languages/dialects are particular fields of immense, personal fascination.

🤓
Lmaoooo just imagining someone with British accident saying shawty like you and I know the word 😂

One advice: halapensis is desert type pine. Does not like wet feet and subject to root rot. As one year old should be fine to repot current Spring and suggest largely inorganic well draining substrate such as pumice. Great work so far and compliments on wise choice of lifestyle change with best of fortune🤗.
Screenshot_20230224-181621.png
Screenshot_20230224-181635.png
Would this be suitable? They sell in 1kg bags, though I have seen pine mixes that say containining Kiryuzuna. Which would be better? I have no problem with watering as even when watering I observe how it absorbs, where it absorbs most etc naturally with all plants due to being naturally inquisitive in all things nature 😁

Kyriu is a softer Japanese pumice, not that great by itself.

Check Harry's website, he is in the UK as well for a lot of basic information.

He sell soils on his website as well. You're location is also close to Herons Bonsai Nursery in Lingfield.
Wire Mill Ln, Newchapel, Felbridge, Lingfield RH7, United Kingdom

Hi all, major meltdown here. I have no pot, no soil media, absolutely no idea on anything and now I'm panicking.
She is CLEARLY yelling at me to repot, however, I am too anxious to do so because I'm anxious I'll buy or do the wrong thing. Iv have read hours upon hours of information of general bonsai care, pine specific care as well as blogs and such. I have read guides and personal opinions on a variety of pines as well as mine. I like to get a broad range of information and then use that day by day based upon what my little one tells me 🤷🏻‍♀️ not sure how a tree 'tells' me things but she does lol
I have borderline personality disorder so I'm going extensively studying whilst being too nervous to actually do anything about it so I have a few questions that will help me be more decisive.
1. From the pictures she clearly needs repotting, growth speed in the past 7-10days has been a lot slower than the few weeks before. I'm almost at the panic buy stage for my potting medium. There are lots of conflict online as to whether it's best to use organic or inorganic. I am a nature lover of all things and feel, with the right love, care and attention, all things natural can thrive. Even if it means a bit of extra work. Why should a tree in a pot not have what a tree in the ground has, for the sake of time and effort? So please take that into consideration when making suggestions.
2. Wanted to clarify, I'm given the impression wiring her should be done late summer early autumn? Before she prepares for winter? When growth slow?
3. Is she big enough to wire to the pot this time round or shall I wait for next time due to being so small?
4. Only a few sites have said, pine specifically, that pinching should be done, conservatively, throughout the year (spring-autumn). Rather than lots in one go? Is this personal opinion or 'wise' advice of older generations?

I have no trouble with constructive criticism so please, any advice would really help.

As you can see by the pics, the soil is practically disappearing to the point a root is now becoming visible, considering making that a single 'arched' bare root 🤔 undecided lol

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_010527_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010527_MP.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230228_010658_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010658_MP.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230228_010335_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010335_MP.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230228_010817_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010817_MP.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230228_010231_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010231_HDR.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230228_010842_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010842_MP.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230228_010208_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010208_HDR.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230228_010729_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010729_MP.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230228_010719_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010719_MP.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230228_010801_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010801_MP.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230228_010606_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230228_010606_MP.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 11
Just wanted to add, i am aware things aren't so much time specific so I'll understand if being told you kind of have to look out for things like 'blank' to be able to tell if it needs this or that.
Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom