JAPAN TRIP PART 1 [OMIYA BONSAI VILLAGE]

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Along with the banquet of beautiful trees here, was the photo of the pot shelves at S-Cube that was amazing. If the numbers on the sides of those pots is price in yen, do some conversions...you'll have a heart attack;). 8000 yen is about $65...o_O That's the price (I think) listed on a pretty nice looking larger pot. There are others that are cheaper (although I think the $35 [4000 yen]) pot may be a Chinese knockoff-- have absolutely no way of knowing that, but I have one that looks almost exactly the same that I paid about $35 for here in the U.S.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Amazing Sergio. Thank you so much for taking the extensive amount of time to load these photos, give such detailed descriptions of everything and take us along this journey. Your value to this forum is immeasurable.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing. It's interesing to me that some of the gardens don't allow photography. Seems like you can see pictures of whatever you want on the internet these days, and here are places that are still completely private. That's badass.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
WOW! Thank you all! It is very gratifying to see that this post was of value to you. I suppose I never expected this sort of response. So I thank you.

As much as I was familiar with many of these gardens through pictures, being there looking at the tress, the smell, the air, the sounds, seeing some of these masters in the flesh was simply a surreal experience.

Pound for pound, I would say that Kimura's garden was my favorite. Regarding the bonsai themselves, I would say I like Takeyama's (FUYO-EN) the best based on variety of species and the fact that I am a bit partial to maples. The only regret I had was weather. On that day, it started to rain on and off and we were loosing daylight quickly by end of day. It was also warmer than average for this time of year, so many maples all around Japan were not in full color. Many were still green and just beginning to turn.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you have a particular favorite maple that you got to see, M5?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
WOW! Thank you all! It is very gratifying to see that this post was of value to you. I suppose I never expected this sort of response. So I thank you.

As much as I was familiar with many of these gardens through pictures, being there looking at the tress, the smell, the air, the sounds, seeing some of these masters in the flesh was simply a surreal experience.

Pound for pound, I would say that Kimura's garden was my favorite. Regarding the bonsai themselves, I would say I like Takeyama's (FUYO-EN) the best based on variety of species and the fact that I am a bit partial to maples. The only regret I had was weather. On that day, it started to rain on and off and we were loosing daylight quickly by end of day. It was also warmer than average for this time of year, so many maples all around Japan were not in full color. Many were still green and just beginning to turn.

About Kimura's garden...in 2000 I did this trip with Bill and the first garden we visited was Kimura's. As we got on the bus to leave, I expressed to Bill that it has to be all down hill from here...we started this tour with the best garden... He simply smiled, shook his head, and said, "you haven't seen anything yet!"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I have learned to appreciate rainy days in autumn. The colors on trees seems to be much more vivid than in bright sunlight. It shows in your photos also, even if the trees weren't at peak.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
WOW! Thank you all! It is very gratifying to see that this post was of value to you.

Thank you so much! I spent a long time staring at all of the photos this morning - Great pictures! Also inspired me with some bench ideas this coming Spring should I need them!

Grimmy

djm4243

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
What an absolute inspiration. These are some of the most fantastic photos I've seen yet! You've just made this a loooooooong Winter for me here in Michigan.....I just wintered my bonsai away and now you have me chomping at the bit for Spring! Ughhhhhh!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh, where to begin....

First, thanks so much for taking the time to put this post up. It's obvious you have plenty of "other" things to do!!
Secondly, this kind of post really makes a "hobbyist" like myself afraid of "making peepee in my BVD's" after viewing!!:oops::eek::rolleyes:

The first post I saw was johng's...(for some reason, I always click last post, don't ask:confused:)..it didn't prepare me for what I was about to see......:D

These are photo's that almost resonate "history"....you can almost sense time passing, hear the echos of scissors...

Of course Bill drives the bus...backwards because he can, but he has to tell everyone what they are about to see, hence the microphone. What you don't see, was that Bill was actually serving sake at the back of the bus at the same time!:cool::eek:

Seriously, Bill seems to be quite an amazing guy. He doesn't show any signs of being tame-able.:p

I would have gone a little "Woodstock" in that mud, what with all those amazing trees!!
All in a novice frenzy....you know, the sake too...just kinda' swoonin', walking in a daze.....:rolleyes:

Just ask the translator to say...what's Japanese for, "He's not with us"?....:mad:

The Chinese Quince specimens along with the Chojubi examples really where enough to leave even myself, speechless.

Rambling.....but I thought your efforts called for something "thoughtful" in reply...:confused::eek:;)

P.S.
Boy, our ideas of "business" trips are really different....mine centers on hoping nobody used the bathroom 40-45 minutes before I go on my "business trip".....hehehehe:confused::eek::(:mad::rolleyes:

Thank you Lance. Too funny and yes also a thoughtful reply. I am glad you mentioned Bill. I have known Bill from afar for many years. However, it has only been in the last year or so that I have become to know him well personally. Bill is a force. He will never stop and his passion, talent, dedication and knowledge are truly inspiring and infectious. Indeed, Bill Valavanis is an American bonsai institution.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
My intent is to try and bring you along with me and experience what I saw as best as is possible through photography.

tumblr_lnln95hjr71qjeepdo1_500.gif

Please stay-tuned for the DAY 2: SHUNKA-EN thread!

MGiwG0R.gif

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Lance. Too funny and yes also a thoughtful reply. I am glad you mentioned Bill. I have known Bill from afar for many years. However, it has only been in the last year or so that I have become to know him well personally. Bill is a force. He will never stop and his passion, talent, dedication and knowledge are truly inspiring and infectious. Indeed, Bill Valavanis is an American bonsai institution.

The man went in a car across the US of A for the Artisan's Cup against medical advice just days after leaving a hospital. He's a champ.

Can't wait to see part 2.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My intent is to try and bring you along with me and experience what I saw as best as is possible through photography. Needless to say, this was a memorable trip for me and one I will not soon forget. Let us travel to Japan!

Damn! My Wife told me to thank you for saving me a few thousand :( I am NOT showing her part two and hoping she forgets this thread so I can go as I planned in 2018 :p

Maybe I should have invited her...:oops:

Grimmy

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm at a loss for words.. Visiting those gardens must have given
you a sense of immense fullness with your journey through
bonsai. Thank you for sharing the experience and for giving
others a glimpse of the many masterpieces you must have seen.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Mach for taking the time to put this together. I know it took quite a long time. I didn't know that many of these nurseries were in the same village. Amazing bonsai!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Along with the banquet of beautiful trees here, was the photo of the pot shelves at S-Cube that was amazing. If the numbers on the sides of those pots is price in yen, do some conversions...you'll have a heart attack;). 8000 yen is about $65...o_O That's the price (I think) listed on a pretty nice looking larger pot. There are others that are cheaper (although I think the $35 [4000 yen]) pot may be a Chinese knockoff-- have absolutely no way of knowing that, but I have one that looks almost exactly the same that I paid about $35 for here in the U.S.

Yes! I could not believe those prices either!! I bought a large, old (I believe is a Seiyuu) oval pot with all sorts of "nasty" patina for $60!! It is beautiful and immediately took it off the shelf. I wanted to buy more but I was trying to pace myself :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Mach for taking the time to put this together. I know it took quite a long time. I didn't know that many of these nurseries were in the same village. Amazing bonsai!

Thank you, I will admit putting it all together was not easy :oops: But of course I am glad I did. I am more than happy to be able to share this with the rest of you Nuts! There are many more less known places in and around Omiya but these are the most famous housing some the best collections in Japan.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes! I could not believe those prices either!! I bought a large, old (I believe is a Seiyuu) oval pot with all sorts of "nasty" patina for $60!! It is beautiful and immediately took it off the shelf. I wanted to buy more but I was trying to pace myself :)
I saw those marks and my jaw dropped. Did you have to pay a duty on the way back into the U.S.?

Top Bottom