Ivex schilling with an exciting trunk

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If that is true then maybe I should prune down to green leaves,and then put outside for season or two. It is hard to get info you can believe in. Every bonsai teacher or expert seem to have different opinions on certain things. ( just trying to justify the prune down!!! ). Prune down should help strength. ???????

The more leaves a tree has, the stronger it is. Pruning will therefore weaken the tree. It can sometimes appear that pruning strengthens a tree because the tree sends out a strong flush of growth to replace the lost branches, but saying the tree is strong is like saying you have a lot of money when you just took out a big loan from the bank. The tree will have an energy debt.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The more leaves a tree has, the stronger it is. Pruning will therefore weaken the tree. It can sometimes appear that pruning strengthens a tree because the tree sends out a strong flush of growth to replace the lost branches, but saying the tree is strong is like saying you have a lot of money when you just took out a big loan from the bank. The tree will have an energy debt.

Maybe I should use the word health instead of strength. I just want to build a nice canopy, not to large. Why would people prune their bonsai down if it is not healthy..

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe I should use the word health instead of strength. I just want to build a nice canopy, not to large. Why would people prune their bonsai down if it is not healthy..

You're not in that phase of development yet. To summarize the overall process, you start out by growing, and then, when the tree is vigorous, you cut it back. It starts out with long stretches of growing before pruning (years in many cases), and gradually, you prune more frequently until you get to the point that you are refining the tree, pinching new buds before they are even finished growing. If you try to jump ahead to the refinement phase before the tree is ready, you could kill it. Proper energy balance is that important. Even highly refined trees still need a break from time to time from refinement techniques in order to regain some vigor.

You just bought your tree. Give it a year to ensure it has enough energy before you mess with it too much. It's probably fine if you want to remove a handful of branches that you don't plan on using in the final design, but overall, you should let the tree accumulate more energy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’d consider bringing the two trees into physical contact at the close approach point and look to fuse the two. That way they aren’t competing for resources if you’re keeping them together

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d consider bringing the two trees into physical contact at the close approach point and look to fuse the two. That way they aren’t competing for resources if you’re keeping them together

They should be fine. It's no different than a forest composition with multiple trees sharing the same resources.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
OK I am done just clipped of some small branches, and will let it go till end of summer.Thanks a lot for your responses . Calling it Lovers

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom