Ivex schilling with an exciting trunk

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hello again , I am very excited about this ivex and don’t want to screw it up. It seems they kept the roots and trunk higher in the pot,like on a different level. Any way looking for some ideas . Just bought from Home Depot in 2 1/2 gal pot,not really filled to top . It is into spring here in st Augustine fl. Zone 9b. Really wondering if I should repot for best growth. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 112

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Forgot , I think it might be 2 trunks or 2 trees . Either way I won’t seperate

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if it's a good time to repot in Florida. It might be too late. However, when you do repot, you should go ahead and separate the trees unless you want to keep them together permanently.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For now, Id cut the pot lip down closer to soil level, maybe do some basic cleaning. If actively growing, I'd build up strength year ahead of a planned repot next year.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I don't know if it's a good time to repot in Florida. It might be too late. However, when you do repot, you should go ahead and separate the trees unless you want to keep them together permanently.
I think I will probably leave them together, love the look. I know I’m a newbie but I am looking for something exotic. Thanks for you reply Stuart.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
For now, Id cut the pot lip down closer to soil level, maybe do some basic cleaning. If actively growing, I'd build up strength year ahead of a planned repot next year.
I am going to cut pot down and clean. I really don’t want to screw this up. I know that iam newbie , but I think this has more potential than any I have bought this year,or last.Thank you for your reply Stuart

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ilex are pretty resilient. I wouldnt worry too much about "screwing up"

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am going to cut pot down and clean. I really don’t want to screw this up. I know that iam newbie , but I think this has more potential than any I have bought this year,or last.Thank you for your reply Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 93

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive heard people have good success with HollyTone as a fertilizer for ilex. since no repot this year, once you see extension growth, Id start a fertilizer routine as well, applying fertilizer in a satchel, fert cup, or tea bag and replacing with fresh every two or three months until about September, when Id let tree go dormant. Spring 2025, repot.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The more you practice bonsai, the more you understand that it is an art form that emphasizes time management - getting the best results from the least amount of time when "time" could mean a year or more.

In the case of this tree, it is really two trees in one pot. The easy solution would be to separate the two trees... though the trees have probably intertwining roots and the process would be difficult, time-consuming, and not without risk to the trees.

The second solution is to keep the trees together... though the current trunks look neither natural or aesthetically pleasing (just being honest). You can absolutely go avante garde with bonsai, and do crazy strange designs, but it is important to distinguish between doing something because "it looks cool" versus doing something "because it reminds me of an old tree on a mountainside". Either approach can work - as long as you have the skill to back it up.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is almost certainly Ilex vomitoria 'Schilling's Dwarf' https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/dwarf-yaupon-
holly.html

Good subject for bonsai and very forgiving. But your trees are not very vigorous. I would not repot it this year, but fertilize it heavily and let it grow. My favorite time to repot these is in early spring before growth starts. Next spring it should be ready for most anything.

I agree that this is two trees in the same pot. From some angles the trunks seem to be almost parallel with right-angle turns. If you separate them, they both may have interesting trunks. But I would be tempted to keep them together and go avant-garde.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This post is mainly for Orion-metalhead,thanks for your insight very helpful. Still nervous . It seems very brittle on top and leaves dark green inside and pale or yellow on outside (I am not color blind just color diffeciant). I am going to fertilize and put outside today , and just wait. By the way we lived in n.edison and Springfield n.j. Just moved to st Augustine fl 2 years ago.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When you do repot next year or later, if you decide to separate the two, I did this with a clump of mugo pines all grown together in this thread...
Thread 'My Three Mughos' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-three-mughos.44638/
...I did mist and shake some rooting hormone on the freshly cut roots. Have fun with your holly.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This post is mainly for Orion-metalhead,thanks for your insight very helpful. Still nervous . It seems very brittle on top and leaves dark green inside and pale or yellow on outside (I am not color blind just color diffeciant). I am going to fertilize and put outside today , and just wait. By the way we lived in n.edison and Springfield n.j. Just moved to st Augustine fl 2 years ago.
Very familiar with Edison - I have worked in New Brunswick for the past decade or two.

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The trees appear to be pushing new spring growth. This is why the outer leaves are a lighter green.
If that is true then maybe I should prune down to green leaves,and then put outside for season or two. It is hard to get info you can believe in. Every bonsai teacher or expert seem to have different opinions on certain things. ( just trying to justify the prune down!!! ). Prune down should help strength. ???????

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There should be plenty of info on yaupon here in the individual tree species subforums. If someone has a long progression thread for a quality tree, theres bound to be reliable info there.

Top Bottom