ISO Mentor, Sensei, Guru, Teacher . . .

Trojan Phil

Sapling
Reaction score
I have tried to learn and educate myself, but I am at the point where I need a guide.

Someone who is willing to get together (monthly? Quarterly?), sit down and look at a tree together and work on it together and show me the answers to so many 'why' questions i have from the myriad of ways there are for everything.

I am in Palm Desert for the forseeable future, and willing to go a reasonable distance (50 miles) or can host, provide food and beverage, whatever.

Is this doable? Anyone out there.

My club has a sensei and he does classes and workshops, but it’s a bit of a drive to Chino.

My club has a sensei and he does classes and workshops, but it’s a bit of a drive to Chino.
The sensei that Ruddigger is referring to is a true bonsai master, who headlines many big events. His trees are some of the best I’ve seen in person.

@Trojan Phil if you find that you can make it out, I’m very certain you will learn and become better at bonsai.

I can't become your sensei (as if I was qualified!) but you have made an excellent decision to seek one out. Bonsai is a three dimensional art form that cannot be learned completely from books or the internet. And it is invaluable to get horticultural advice from someone who does bonsai successfully in your climate!

I have tried to learn and educate myself, but I am at the point where I need a guide.

Someone who is willing to get together (monthly? Quarterly?), sit down and look at a tree together and work on it together and show me the answers to so many 'why' questions i have from the myriad of ways there are for everything.

I am in Palm Desert for the forseeable future, and willing to go a reasonable distance (50 miles) or can host, provide food and beverage, whatever.

Is this doable? Anyone out there.
Given that you are in California, there are several masters that offer intensive training in their studios. Perhaps consider that approach. There are many benefits to working with and at the masters garden. The quality and variety of material for instructional purposes, the extra learning that occurs with group discussion and instruction. The connections and support system developed throughout the interactions with fellow students from the Bonsai fraternity.
If your collection is extensive and of high quality or at least in refinement stages then a visiting master or sensei may be more beneficial in taking your valuable trees to a higher level. And perhaps then worth the cost of a visiting professional. Not likely worthwhile for developmental nursery trees and inexpensive pre bonsai.
If you are going to hire someone for training purposes, seek out the best. Fewer sessions with a great teacher will be of more benefit than many with a lesser form of instruction.

Any resource that helps you learn is worthwhile and a teacher is surely helpful. My two cents though is that there is no way around just caring for ones trees over a long period of time, folding in additional concepts as we go and learning by mistake.

Amazing offer, and thank you. Currently yes that is a hike, however if you can PM or post the link I would be grateful. You never know.

Given that you are in California, there are several masters that offer intensive training in their studios. Perhaps consider that approach. There are many benefits to working with and at the masters garden. The quality and variety of material for instructional purposes, the extra learning that occurs with group discussion and instruction. The connections and support system developed throughout the interactions with fellow students from the Bonsai fraternity.
If your collection is extensive and of high quality or at least in refinement stages then a visiting master or sensei may be more beneficial in taking your valuable trees to a higher level. And perhaps then worth the cost of a visiting professional. Not likely worthwhile for developmental nursery trees and inexpensive pre bonsai.
If you are going to hire someone for training purposes, seek out the best. Fewer sessions with a great teacher will be of more benefit than many with a lesser form of instruction.
Great. Other than the above offer of Chino, the only others I have found are central and northern California. There are of course people I do not know of and didn't find on the interwebs. Any suggestions of someone that offers this extensive training and study again would be very appreciated.

Any resource that helps you learn is worthwhile and a teacher is surely helpful. My two cents though is that there is no way around just caring for ones trees over a long period of time, folding in additional concepts as we go and learning by mistake.
In part I really agree with this. But having taught martial arts, and being a golfer, getting good foundation is important in order to progress well.

Just want to eliminate the obvious stupid mistakes that will damage or kill my trees, and some help knowing what is possible and HOW to get there.

Great. Other than the above offer of Chino, the only others I have found are central and northern California. There are of course people I do not know of and didn't find on the interwebs. Any suggestions of someone that offers this extensive training and study again would be very appreciated.
Boon Manakitivipart, Jonas Dupuich, Peter Tea are three I can personally recommend from experience.

The sensei that Ruddigger is referring to is a true bonsai master, who headlines many big events. His trees are some of the best I’ve seen in person.

@Trojan Phil if you find that you can make it out, I’m very certain you will learn and become better at bonsai.

+1 with these guys. I have been a student of his for a year now and have learned so much more from him in that time then the three or so years of learning by myself online. His garden is one of my favorite places, it's worth taking a class for the visit alone. His classes are private because he prefers to keep them smaller, it may be hard to contact him directly, but if you want to make the drive, PM Ruddigger (I'm volunteering him) or myself, I'm sure we can help.

You should become familiar with the California Bonsai Society. It has been a hub of bonsai activity in that state for a very very long time.

I would join and ask about mentorships in clubs near you

Also if you have the resources, there are several "traveling bonsai masters" in the U.S. that might be able to come to you. Not cheap though.

Additionally, there are several bonsai masters who offer "bonsai intensive" instruction at their facilities. They're not near you though. A few folks travel to them and keep trees at the nurseries to learn on and care for. It is a very concentrated way to learn bonsai (also not cheap)
One is Bjorn Bjornholm in Nashville, TN
Boon Manakitivipart in North Highlands, Cal. is another
Tyler Sherrod at Dogwood Studios in Asheville, N.C. is another

Another way to go at it would be to take Ryan Neal's online courses at Bonsai Mirai. He has a subscription instructional video course that is very very good. He also offers group courses at his facilities in St. Helens, Oregon.

Last edited:
You should become familiar with the California Bonsai Society. It has been a hub of bonsai activity in that state for a very very long time.

I would join and ask about mentorships in clubs near you

Also if you have the resources, there are several "traveling bonsai masters" in the U.S. that might be able to come to you. Not cheap though.

Additionally, there are several bonsai masters who offer "bonsai intensive" instruction at their facilities. They're not near you though. A few folks travel to them and keep trees at the nurseries to learn on and care for. It is a very concentrated way to learn bonsai (also not cheap)
One is Bjorn Bjornholm in Nashville, TN
Boon Manakitivipart in North Highlands, Cal. is another
Tyler Sherrod at Dogwood Studios in Asheville, N.C. is another

Another way to go at it would be to take Ryan Neal's online courses at Bonsai Mirai. He has a subscription instructional video course that is very very good. He also offers group courses at his facilities in St. Helens, Oregon.
Wonderful. Thank you.

n part I really agree with this. But having taught martial arts, and being a golfer, getting good foundation is important in order to progress well.
Agree 100%. We all learn differently, however. For me, I need to immerse myself and see the big picture as well as I can, and then add details and organize the details in their correct place. I will inevitably make tons of mistakes and then learn from them. At the end of the day, I will need to just roll up my sleeves and do. I try to proceed with a modicum of humility, understanding that any endeavor will have details that can only be mastered over time and with hands-on experience. Although I want to develop an award winning tree, I try not to let my ego get in the way of actually learning what needs to be learned to get my trees there. For me, one-on-one type of training is simply not needed at this point - I have books, the internet and experts here that are willing to field newb questions.

Martial arts is a good example. I trained BJJ for a number of years at a renowned gym. Between classes, books and the internet I digested an incredible amount of information. Then I got on the mats and tried my skills out and practiced. After about a year, I started to train for competition and began taking private lessons with a professional black belt. There is no question that just rolling with him improved my skills, but I would suggest it was minimal. He was happy to take my money, but was pretty open about the fact that this type of one-on-one training is best for those with more experience and a wider knowledge base. One doesn't need private lessons to learn a specific technique - there are tons of videos for that. The private lessons are for stringing techniques together more efficiently, to fine tune techniques that you have practiced 1000s of times already. If I simply wanted to get my ass handed to me by someone more experienced, there were plenty of upper belts who would have been happy to serve it to me for free during sparring sessions in class.

For me, mistakes are par for the course and an essential part of the learning process. I am not trying to hide from it or avoid this and don't need hand holding to tell me it will be alright. If I quit every time I made a newb mistake and got submitted or choked out, I'd never have learned anything in BJJ. Embrace the suck! I hope to have a bonsai skill set one day that can be improved by a master.

Back
Top Bottom