Is this needlecast or some other fungus on my kotobuki JBPs?

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi all, just purchased these two JPBs from an online nursery. They both have two kids of browning on needles: the banding near the tips of the needs in the first pic and the browned, almost cut-looking needles shown in the second pic. I'm still relatively new to ones so any help with ID and potential management would be most appreciated!

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0585.JPG

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First picture shows a couple of desiccated needles in the center - not needle cast
There is some slight yellowing around the tips of the needles but I dont think this is needle cast or another fungus

Second picture shows saw fly damage, ie the needles look like they been sawed in half

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the reply! Yeah 2nd pic def looks "sawed off." A better pic of what I was trying to ask about in the first pic. It has banding like I've seen when folks describe effects of some fungus, but it's all towards the end of the needle - not the middle or the very tip.

IMG_0586 (1).JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yeah 2nd pic def looks "sawed off." A better pic of what I was trying to ask about in the first pic. It has banding like I've seen when folks describe effects of some fungus, but it's all towards the end of the needle - not the middle or the very tip.

View attachment 501649
That's needlecast.
But it doesn't look that bad to be honest.

I'd cut the affected needles off below the band, and get rid of the upper ends that have the infection. Could very well be that the seller did something similar before selling it to you.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah how'd you know??
I have two myself from them. . All the needles were trimmed just like yours. No idea why. It's a short needle variety to begin with.

If you have Bonide Infuse I'd use it now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom