Informal upright Trident maple

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Judy B. asked for more photos of peoples trees so as I pull a tree off the bench to start my winter clean-up I'm going to take photos and post them up. It is also a good way for me to keep track of the changes of each tree as they progress.

This is a trident maple that I purchased two years ago from an older member of Midori that had given up working on trees and was moving out of the area. He had said that he originally purchased the tree from Lone Pine nursery close to 18 years ago (now 20) and that it had been field grown on their grounds.

He had worked on the tree with Kathy Shaner back when she was a member of Midori and had done quite a bit of work on it with her during many of her workshops. When the tree made its way to me it was in a much larger pot than it is now and had not been repotted in close to ten years. The leaves were the size of dimes and the internodes are very tight on the existing brances and full of new buds ready for spring. It put on so much growth in the last two seasons that the bark has been exfolating and as it is starting to get that muscular appearance.

As it stands now the tree is 22 inches tall and close to 9 inches at the base not including the long root running out to the side which will be removed later.

Trident maple 004.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very pretty with that bark, and muscular trunk. Nice taper as well.Have you considered cutting some of the branching back a bit? Maybe get a bit more movement in them, to go along with that nice sweeping movement of the trunk. How is the nebari? The flare is wonderful.
Thanks for posting your tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Very nice tree! I agree with Judy. Also I would watch branches up top that they don't get too thick so that you keep it all in balance and in scale. Enjoy your tree! :)

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Very pretty with that bark, and muscular trunk. Nice taper as well.Have you considered cutting some of the branching back a bit? Maybe get a bit more movement in them, to go along with that nice sweeping movement of the trunk. How is the nebari? The flare is wonderful.
Thanks for posting your tree!

I cut some of it back tonight but need to leave some at the top to heal a problem area. The roots will be worked on in another year or two when the top is alomst healed over. I have a shallow pot for it to go in and need the depth of the training pot to pump up the growth to heal the wound.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice trident! Thanks for sharing :) This will be an incredible tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I have a couple Ian Price trees also. Lots of older stuff at that nursery.

Top Bottom