I wanna be back for good

20190406_104311.jpg

A P. Afra mame mame started from cuttings in 2018

Oddly enough mine tends to lose its leafs in winter and this one is just waking up.

Will try to develop some canopy this year.

If you have any tips I'm all ears

Cheers

I've been interested in Bonsai since I was 17 years old o_O but was never really able to "stick" to it

Over the years I bought, and killed, more trees than I care to remember but I like to think it is all part of the "process".

Today, at 42 years of age, I want to give myself one more serious try at bonsai

From the "old days" all I still have is an olive tree that has been in my possession for 5 or 6 years and I have kind of restocked this spring

The purpose of this thread is, well to say hi again to everyone and thank you for all the help I've had over the years here

My weakest point is "design" and wiring so I assume I will be needed lots of help from everyone around

I just hope I won't wake up at 50 and see myself just where I am today

Peace :)
Hello Akhtar very warm welcome. You live beautiful country. You will learn alot of things on this beautiful path. Bonsai is process of continual learning. I myself ended up with lot of dead plants and still counting on. But this is how you learn. I sometime feel petty for the dead plants. One thing i like to say that please try lebanese cedar. I am very much obsessed with cedar. We have deodar cedar here in our country, but i had tried multiple times to grow them as bonsai in my growing zone and regretted watching them succumb to death. You have good opportunity see it growing and taking shape of the intended bonsai.

My cotoneaster semi-cascade (to be) blooming..

Needs wiring but not exactly sure how to start ?

That is a very interesting looking cotoneaster. I've never seen one like it! The blooms are very different from the ones we have here in the States.

That is a very interesting looking cotoneaster. I've never seen one like it! The blooms are very different from the ones we have here in the States.
Really? Unless i'm very mistaken it's an horizontalis

Is there any alternative to bonsai wires and/or wiring?

There's always guy wires if you don't want to wire up the whole branch and only need to move something one direction. Additionally, given cotoneaster's somewhat predictable herringbone growth pattern, you could always trim the tree to the shape you want, given you can generally predict how the branches will grow.

You can prune to form... but this works best if you are starting your foliage mass from scratch. If there is already growth and it is too straight, or isn't where you want it to be, wiring is the best method.

It really isn't hard to do - particularly on a smaller plant.

There's always guy wires if you don't want to wire up the whole branch and only need to move something one direction. Additionally, given cotoneaster's somewhat predictable herringbone growth pattern, you could always trim the tree to the shape you want, given you can generally predict how the branches will grow.

Let me just say that I am rather clumsy ? so kind of intimidated by the whole wiring thing

You can prune to form... but this works best if you are starting your foliage mass from scratch. If there is already growth and it is too straight, or isn't where you want it to be, wiring is the best method.

It really isn't hard to do - particularly on a smaller plant.

Well I guess it is about time to get my hands dirty, so to speak. Biggest issue is that bonsai wires are unavailable here so will probably need to try electric wires or something similar

Let me just say that I am rather clumsy ? so kind of intimidated by the whole wiring thing

Well I guess it is about time to get my hands dirty, so to speak. Biggest issue is that bonsai wires are unavailable here so will probably need to try electric wires or something similar

You just need to hop in there and try it out. Try to get some trimmed branches from another tree that you can practice on if you're worried about damaging your tree. That way you can get a feel for the process without risking something you care about.

EDIT: forgot to mention, but there are good videos on the web regarding how to wire your tree. It'd be a good idea to watch one of those to learn the basics and then practice on the scrap material

Regarding availability, can you order wire online? That's what I do. Can even get a basic set of aluminum wire from Amazon for rather cheap. I'm sure there are other sources as well, should that not be an option for you. You could technically use electrical wire, but finding a number of gauges to work with, having to remove the coating if there is one, and annealing the copper to make it workable could be more effort than it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom