How should I prune this bonsai wanna-be?

panda

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Almost a year later, I cut back on all the leggy stems, and the ficus has sprouted back nicely!
I am not sure if I should just let it grow out for a while. Would love to see examples of 5-10 year old ficus that you might have, so I know what I’m shooting for. I am fairly new at this. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9E092983-BD1D-4189-94DD-1C5A3D6295F7.jpeg
    9E092983-BD1D-4189-94DD-1C5A3D6295F7.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 16

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one is a willow leaf ficus I grew from a pencil sized tree. It is about 10 years old.

Needs to be thinned up top...lol

20220625_193417.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is a willow leaf ficus I grew from a pencil sized tree. It is about 10 years old.

Needs to be thinned up top...lol

View attachment 443899
It needs quite a bit taken out of the top so it will redirect energy to the bottom branches. It is a common thing amoung my ficus. I have a couple now that need to be done.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It needs quite a bit taken out of the top so it will redirect energy to the bottom branches. It is a common thing amoung my ficus. I have a couple now that need to be done.

I agree. It's amazing how fast they can get away from you. I just moved it outside a week ago. Once I an sure its happy with the move, I'll fdo some pruning on that bushy top.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. It's amazing how fast they can get away from you. I just moved it outside a week ago. Once I an sure its happy with the move, I'll fdo some pruning on that bushy top.
Its good for them to run wild for awhile.

Top Bottom