I think it is a Mulberry but ?

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I have noticed that I'm not successful at identifying tree growing wild. So before I collect this in the spring I would like to know what it is. The twin trunk caught my eye. 20160927_170552.jpg 20160927_170613.jpg

Attachments

• 20160927_170636.jpg
    20160927_170636.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 8

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dogwood - Cornus my guess?

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
There's some berry producing trees near that have leaves and bark that looked the same.20160927_170741.jpg

Reaction score
if they are all only reaching shrub size.. and the leaves are opposite...look in the Viburnum family... I have a few Blackhaw in my collection..but, this looks more like Arrowwood.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the first picture the bark looks like prunus, leaf venation looks like cornus.

Second picture looks like viburnum fruit, but leaf almost looks like pear...

Are they the same plant in both pictures, the leaves kind of look different?

Do you guys have wild Indian Hawthorne there?

Do you have any other pictures?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah could be blackhaw, viburnum prunifolium (cherry like)

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking some sort of viburnum. It's on the tip of my tongue, this is going to irritate me...:mad:

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I will take some more pictures tomorrow, but regardless I will be collecting it in the Spring. All of the possible choices are appealing.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So before I collect this in the spring I would like to know what it is.
I can't tell what it is for sure but finding out what it is BEFORE you dig it up is an excellent idea. One which I think more people should take under consideration.
It's way better than what other people do.
"Hey I just dug this up. What is it? And is it good for bonsai"
Makes me cringe every time.
Way to go! Someone will know what it is for sure and you will be able to decide from there.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
We had stuff like this and it's black cherry - this kinda looks like it but i'd guess buckthorn in your area

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd agree this is a buckthorn.

Blackhaw isn't native to Michigan, too far north. Leaves are wrong. Fruit is not only too big, it's in the wrong places on the plant.

Black cherry (prunus serotina) flowers and subsequent fruit are arranged in a raceme spike, much like a wisteria blossom, not clustered at leaf stems as here.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I do tend to agree with the buckhorn identification. The leaves and bark match, plus it does grow in the area. They are everywhere around here , one of those plants that are invasive and overlooked because you always see them. I still will collect it, yet I will have to stay on top of it spreading. Hopefully being in a pot will keep it in check.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
classic buckthorne, the species is actually great material for bonsai in my opinion, you can find better specimens than this im sure, the produce nice nebari from my observations, they take really well to collection and bonsai techniques.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Will keep looking yet this one caught my eye for some reason . Come to think about it in another area i tree hunt there some nice ones, but I have limited space to work with here at home.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
fyi spring would be a better time than now to collect these, really there is no point in collecting this now unless you will be losing access or something come spring, that should give you time to locate more potential specimen, and by spring you can decide which tree is the best to spend your potting resources and time on

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
yep buckthorn, dig it up and burn it, a nasty invasive weed species. Burn them all. Or turn them into bonsai. Since I kill a lot of trees I'm trying to turn into bonsai the end result will be as good as burning them. Nasty weed tree.

Probably okay as bonsai - Sorce has one, I've seen a few others. I think the timing one uses for Euonymous alata for pruning etc will work for Buckthorn. Older trees will have nice black bark. Leaves reduce well, berries are a nice fall accent, but flowers are insignificant.

My knowledge on this is second hand, internet knowledge and seeing "Beer City Snake's" buckthorn, I personally refuse to put effort into keeping one alive. I've seen too much damage to old prairie patches and woodland habitat caused by buckthorn, can't stand the thought of deliberately trying to keep one alive.

Top Bottom