I NEED HELP WITH MY AZALEA

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This tree looks extremely weak and I'm not feeling good about it's prognosis. In my experience with potted azaleas, and specifically satsuki, once a tree looks and behaves like this, it's already fallen off the cliff. Personally, I suspect a root issue. A fungicide root drench may be your only option, along with very careful siting and watering. Good luck, but I wouldn't expect this one to make it.

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
This tree looks extremely weak and I'm not feeling good about it's prognosis. In my experience with potted azaleas, and specifically satsuki, once a tree looks and behaves like this, it's already fallen off the cliff. Personally, I suspect a root issue. A fungicide root drench may be your only option, along with very careful siting and watering. Good luck, but I wouldn't expect this one to make it.
Thank you! I kind of thought that was hoping I could save it. What do you suggest I use as a root drench

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you have nothing constructive to add, mind your own damn buisness instead of being as asshole.
Steve couldn't post pics for some reason. He emailed them to me. I'll post them later when I get back to my computer at home
Max photo size is 1 Meg. Lacking a photo editing app. or ability to lower the resolution of photos the phone takes, people have emailed photos to themselves to reduce the photo file size.
:confused:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you! I kind of thought that was hoping I could save it. What do you suggest I use as a root drench
Well, if osoyoung comes up from cover, he might be able to tell you about using a hydrogen peroxide drench, or you could search for info here or elsewhere. I've honestly never had a chance to use a fungicide drench as the azaleas kicked the bucket so quickly, it wouldn't have helped.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This looks like a tree that was weak and then pushed to the edge by a repot when it was not at peak health. I don't know that any drastic treatments are going to help at this point. When even the old leaves whither on these guys, and the new buds fade before opening... they are likely going to either die, or completely defoliate, make you THINK they are dead and then suddenly start growing again a few months later... I have had that happen more than once with azaleas- so don't throw it away! The roots are not supporting the growth for whatever reason right now, but if there is any life left, it may well push some new roots this year and late in the summer/ early fall or next Spring it may surprise you! MAYBE...

I try to cut mine back in stages now Avoid the "SADS"= sudden azalea death syndrome. If you leave a decent amount of growth LEFT HIGH ON THE TREE when you cut back they seem to bounce back faster and more reliably in my experience.. When you cut them down to almost no or absolutely no foliage at all, SOMETIMES they just punk out and die... It has to do more with the original health of the plant and the after care than anything IMO.

Just looking at the aged signs of distress on this tree I suspect it was not in supreme health prior to the pruning and repot.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I post on this forum on my iPhone. I tend to write rather terse. Damn phone auto misspells half what I type, so I "speak" rather bluntly.

I'm usually a pretty nice guy!
I am sure you are a great guy Adair, I was just giving you a little good natured ribbing! Please don't take it the wrong way. I look forward to meeting you in person one day and I am sure we will get along royally!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

So do you think this is a fungus or root rot or ?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So do you think this is a fungus or root rot or ?
With azaleas I usually get black tips from root rot. I have had some bounce back from a state like that, but most of my azaleas didn't get a second chance.

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
This looks like a tree that was weak and then pushed to the edge by a repot when it was not at peak health. I don't know that any drastic treatments are going to help at this point. When even the old leaves whither on these guys, and the new buds fade before opening... they are likely going to either die, or completely defoliate, make you THINK they are dead and then suddenly start growing again a few months later... I have had that happen more than once with azaleas- so don't throw it away! The roots are not supporting the growth for whatever reason right now, but if there is any life left, it may well push some new roots this year and late in the summer/ early fall or next Spring it may surprise you! MAYBE...

I try to cut mine back in stages now Avoid the "SADS"= sudden azalea death syndrome. If you leave a decent amount of growth LEFT HIGH ON THE TREE when you cut back they seem to bounce back faster and more reliably in my experience.. When you cut them down to almost no or absolutely no foliage at all, SOMETIMES they just punk out and die... It has to do more with the original health of the plant and the after care than anything IMO.

Just looking at the aged signs of distress on this tree I suspect it was not in supreme health prior to the pruning and repot.
I actually repotting it 2 season ago and it did fine. All I did was cut a big branch off before it bloom this spring. Waited for it to finish blooming and cut back some more . And this is the result of what's happening with the new growth

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I actually repotting it 2 season ago and it did fine. All I did was cut a big branch off before it bloom this spring. Waited for it to finish blooming and cut back some more . And this is the result of what's happening with the new growth
Right, going back to my first post... It can take some time for weakness to build up if the roots were not properly integrated into the new soil! Only a very healthy vigorous azalea will respond to a big cut back with lots of new growth...

Top Bottom