I came really close to losing my greenhouse yesterday to fire

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Glad it didn't spread to any structures.

I don't know your specific situation, but maybe dumping fuels into a ravine that might channel wind and move fire on the wrong day might not be the best plan going forward. I'm sure it's not easy to get rid of all the landscaping waste, but try to be strategic.

This will look like crazy overkill to folks who don't live in the western U.S., the Iberian peninsula, Greece, or much of Australia, but here are California's defensible space guidelines: https://www.readyforwildfire.org/prepare-for-wildfire/get-ready/defensible-space/

pine needles can be a major issue as folks like to use them for mulch

Bonkers.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad it didn't spread to any structures.

I don't know your specific situation, but maybe dumping fuels into a ravine that might channel wind and move fire on the wrong day might not be the best plan going forward. I'm sure it's not easy to get rid of all the landscaping waste, but try to be strategic.

This will look like crazy overkill to folks who don't live in the western U.S., the Iberian peninsula, Greece, or much of Australia, but here are California's defensible space guidelines: https://www.readyforwildfire.org/prepare-for-wildfire/get-ready/defensible-space/

Bonkers.
True enough. It's actually dumbed at the side of our drive. Not the wooded area. Not in grass or leaves ... bare gravel. Actually we just sold our dump truck as it sits near there that was our dump truck parking spot with extra area for ash. We used all our fire extinguishers to try and get it under control first.

I'm grateful that vehicle wasn't there to get hot.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I was about 13 we lived out in the country east of Richmond VA and had a burn barrel in the back yard. One day my brother lit it up and then forgot to watch it. We ended up draining the well to put the grass fire out behind the house. Fortunately the wind wasn’t blowing it towards the house!

Top Bottom