How to style 12 year old dwarf jade

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This Jade was the first bonsai that I have ever purchased. Paul from Bonsai of Brooklyn told me it was about 10 years old when I bought it almost 2 years ago. This spring will be its second completed year in its pot, so I will be re-potting it in a large wide training pot this spring. It has a lot of thick branches that is causing me to second guess chopping them. Since I bought it, I have only trimmed back multiple times to create some back budding, and some very minimal wiring, because I'm still working on my technique. Any Ideas on which route to go?

The foliage was thicker. I had some these little tiny flies almost like gnats flying around. I would assume they are aphids? I sprayed all my trees with some garden safe house and garden insect killer. Since I sprayed them, this jade and 8 other of my jade cuttings have lost a substantial amount leaves. I'm assuming this is from the insect killer.

Front:
WIN_20160116_110628.JPG
Back:
WIN_20160116_110656.JPG
Top:
WIN_20160116_110756.JPG

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Jades absolutely hate insecticides, I personally use a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol water and spray with that, the bugs most likely aren't aphids, aphids don't go after succulents very often they are most likely just as you said, gnats, so they are completely harmless just annoying.

Aaron

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jades absolutely hate insecticides, I personally use a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol water and spray with that, the bugs most likely aren't aphids, aphids don't go after succulents very often they are most likely just as you said, gnats, so they are completely harmless just annoying.

Aaron
I didnt know that, thanks.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Just asking would a neem oil soap solution be considered an insecticide?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just asking would a neem oil soap solution be considered an insecticide?
I useneem regularly in my greenhouse not directly on the jades but they definitely get over spray with no ill effects just be careful with the time of day neem oil will scorche any plant when its in full sun.

Aaron

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I don't have a Jade currently, it is on that ever growing list of trees I want. I haven't had any ill effects using neem my tropicals yet I mainly spray the soil

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't have a Jade currently, it is on that ever growing list of trees I want. I haven't had any ill effects using neem my tropicals yet I mainly spray the soil
You can spray the soil with no ill effects its just not very effective. Neem oil is obviously an oil, and what it does is clog the pores in the exoskeleton of pests causing them to suffocate so neem only works with direct contact on the pest itself. I drench my entire plants top to bottom when I use it.

Aaron

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah not much attacks a jade. They find shelter in amongst it but that's about it.
As to styling it...it screams broom to me. They do grow broomish when old in the wild. Google Portulacaria bonsai...lots of photos there ;)
Check this out to...for interest sake.
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/portulacarafra.htm

Auk

Seedling
Reaction score
I had one jade. Planted the bits I clipped off, put them in pots, forgot them. They like that, being neglected. Now I have loads of small jade plants.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I definitely need to get a Jade! A little Love without a lot of Action! Kinda like my Schefflera!

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yea they're great, I have a schefflera as well @Mike MoMo. I rooted 5 cutting and wired their stems together in hopes that they will fuse in a couple of years lol.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@fredman

I take care of that Portulacaria forest in the link you posted.

No sense of scale, but its probably more than 6ft wide and 4/5ft tall. Massive.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Goodness me. You got me drooling big time here. Who created it carp? Know the age?

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is the creator on here? @carp Any advice for styling this tree besides broom style?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
advice for styling this tree besides broom style?

Making this any other style would be like wanting a shitty car, buying a nice one, and smashing it into a wall, removing parts, and spraypainting it to make it shitty.....

Why not just spend less money on a shitty car?

Take a cutting.....make it something else!

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hear yea @sorce. So in broom style, when looking at the front facing picture, should those three branches on the left be wired upwards or left as is?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems these don't swell as much as some at 3 way intervals....that said...I don't know these for S.

Id cut the red one off, as that yellow seems ready to fill in there....

aviary-image-1453215339152.jpeg

That green branch should go up some IMO...

And all the structure within the yellow will be useable IMO.

I also don't know how well these take to wiring and such....so maybe some things can be moved.......

That yellow outline....is key IMO...you could almost cut everything back to there, and then once you get your division, you'll Probly end up taking all those branches back in a bit from the yellow......

In the end....creating a canopy that's just within the yellow, or a little past....

But your most powerful tree is within there IMO....and you have a Damn good start to get there!

Sorce

I'd love to make this more detailed.....let me know if I should.

Last edited:
Top Bottom