How to Introduce Bonsai to Teenagers?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your guys' thoughts have really been helpful in keeping my brain working on this problem. Thanks for the support!

I think I have a plan in mind that will introduce the concepts in a fun way virtually, then we can roll over to real life as the resources and covid-19 allow.

I'll start out with just posting a weird tree scavenger hunt like I mentioned before. Then I'll do a sort of progression journal that I'll post once in a while. This is something that many of you have suggested, but I think I finally figured out how to make it entertaining enough to keep teens engaged. Start with a willow stick in a bucket, then to a stick in a pot, and over the year they'll see a tree grow. Maybe revisit the scavenger hunt periodically to keep it interactive and keep students looking at the world around them.
@Anthony, in the ancient East a middle class merchant would have to save a month's wages to buy a pair of scissors from the local blacksmith who could spend a week on that one tiny project. Today's poor absolutely have more resources at our disposal than they did back then. We just need to recognize them as such, and that's the whole point of this idea. Get students looking at the weed in the sidewalk as a possible resource, and then build from that to better their lives.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You could also make a challenge. Send out tomato seeds or something similarly fast growing. (Peppers take FOREVER to germinate.). Let them apply the same techniques to the tomato plant. That's the fastest results I could think of, and its affordable to ship seeds out. They can probably provide a container (butter, solo cup, a paper cup that they decorate). In the end, they'd end up w/ something not at all like what you, I, or they normally would think of as bonsai, but they'd gain an appreciation w/o having to wait years. Let them vote at the end of the semester who's composition is most impressive, to keep them interested throughout the year.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@bwaynef, I like this idea! I would just need to find a safe place outside for the plants, or set up a grow light system for them indoors. Funny thing is, in our situation, it'd be easier to do an indoor grow setup than find a spot outdoors that would be safe. My work location is actually a drop-in tutoring site at the local mall, and the mall manager won't let us have any big tables around our exterior doors. Fire marshal type thing I think.
I might still go with peppers, though. Plant them just before Christmas break so half the waiting isn't even on their minds. They'll sprout and be well grown by the time spring break hits. Fast results, food, and the potential for students keeping them going for years if they get into it.
It's almost perfect!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whose. Its whose. I know that "who's" isn't a word. I can't go back and edit it so I don't look illiterate, so I may as well own it.

Whose.

Seriously? Of all the crap you could do on the interwebs, THAT'S what you get hung up on?
😂😂😂
I'm in education and didn't care. It's the net, not college. It's cool, man. It's cool.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai got me out of a dark time in my life so I love the idea. Being young teens I'd mention the lucrative potential the art of bonsai has. I personally always had an interest in plants that suppressed into my teens but reimerged in my early 20's and kept me out of trouble so bonsai came as a godsend and a life saver. Ya never know who's interest you may spark or the literal and metaphorical seeds you're planting for the future of bonsai. Maybe some YouTube bonsai vlogs to help introduce and simplify certian concepts. Peter Chan's great at doing that in his videos and his humble bonsai beginnings are still seeds of inspiration for me to this day.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps you should come up with a short list 5-7 different activities to do with a very brief description of each. And let the students vote on what to do. Their engagement up front could be helpful. And while the voted on activity might not be for everyone, have the students that voted pitch their best reasons for it to the others and answer questions. They learn persuasion and answering questions along with improving their enthusiasm on subjects. The process could be an activity all by itself. Could be a lot of fun. It’s educational but they don’t recognize that because they are the drivers.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Karate Kid........ relatable to youth.....

I will never understand why Daniel was seen as the hero in this movie. Total Karate newb comes along, advances to black belt level in a ridiculously short time scale, steals local stars girlfriend and the completes against said local star in huge a tournament and wins.
Poor Jonny lost everything, trained for years only to be completely humiliated by some punk who just showed up in his life because a family happened to move.

Besides, we all know the true hero of this story was the wonderful Mr.Miyagi.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Train them to properly water. Emphasis on PROPERLY water your trees perhaps for small reward. (NOT $500 cell phone or car)

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will never understand why Daniel was seen as the hero in this movie. Total Karate newb comes along, advances to black belt level in a ridiculously short time scale, steals local stars girlfriend and the completes against said local star in huge a tournament and wins.
Poor Jonny lost everything, trained for years only to be completely humiliated by some punk who just showed up in his life because a family happened to move.

Of course Mr Miyagi was hero in story. However Daniels training was from different and proper attitude and perspective. Other competitor "said local star" was trained as bully to disable/destroy/hurt opponent. Could not think/read beyond this nor oppose better trained competitor. That you cannot understand right and wrong indicates need for better training;).

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course Mr Miyagi was hero in story. However Daniels training was from different and proper attitude and perspective. Other competitor "said local star" was trained as bully to disable/destroy/hurt opponent. Could not think/read beyond this nor oppose better trained competitor. That you cannot understand right and wrong indicates need for better training;).
Yup Jonny was a product of his environment and his teacher was horrible immoral. Still it’s gotta suck to get your butt whoooped by some newb 😂

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup Jonny was a product of his environment and his teacher was horrible immoral. Still it’s gotta suck to get your butt whoooped by some newb 😂
Why so much anger?any similar experience in the past? :rolleyes:

If you hadn't seen "Cobra kai" you should see it. I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Not all is black or white, there're a wide scopes of gray ;)

Cheers

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why so much anger?any similar experience in the past? :rolleyes:

If you hadn't seen "Cobra kai" you should see it. I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Not all is black or white, there're a wide scopes of gray ;)

Cheers
I’m not angry, just whenever friends mention that movie they all hero worship Daniel and don’t see the individual stories intertwined...just his 🙂.

I will definitely check out Cobra Kai, wide scopes of grey add depth 😛

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m not angry, just whenever friends mention that movie they all hero worship Daniel and don’t see the individual stories intertwined...just his 🙂.
Isn't it an early hollywood movie?
What else would you expect than the newcomer to beat all odds. That is the story in every movie that is not a clear romance or an epic "wa save the world chewing a chopstick" movie, isn't it?

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
04-karate-kid-mr-miyagi.jpg

Tempus fugit! and the student becomes the master ;)

Last edited:

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Everyone loves a humble underdog, take me for example in the world of bonsai 🤣😉

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know this is an older thread, but I figure it's worth adding this: Kung Fu movies and anime are already a big part of inner city culture, particularly in many black communities. I would start from there. After that, nurturing young plants, creating art, and learning through exploration and experience are all inherently fun. As long as they aren't diluted with paperwork or lectures, the students should have no trouble finding the motivation they need to get started.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Rumor has it, the kick that won him the tourney was illegal too.

Top Bottom